Have you ever read a book someone else raved about

Have you ever read a book someone else raved about

September 20th, 2011, 11:48 pm #1

and found yourself totally turned off by it?

I did a search on this title before posting this just to see if anyone else had ever mentioned it, and it was on a list of books Sandy MI read. I'm curious to know what you thought about it Sandy.

I was at the library last week, and there was another lady (younger than me by at least 15 years) in the section where my favorite books are located. Turns out she was getting a book by the same author. So we started chatting and she told me about another series she just loved because it was so funny. So I checked out the first in the series: Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella.

I didn't find it funny at all. I found the character pathetic, shallow, and just plain stupid. Why? Because she dug herself into debt and then kept digging, and then wanted to be bailed out instead of doing anything about it herself. Unless the book is horrible from the start, I try to give it 50 pages before deciding it's drivel, and I gave this one 57 before closing the book in disgust. Maybe she wised up and started getting her life together on page 58, but if I didn't crack a smile once during 57 pages, I doubt if I would think the rest of the book funny even if I didn't dislike the main character so much.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

September 21st, 2011, 1:08 am #2

DS's ex raved about Eat, Pray, Love. The main character was incredibly shallow and I couldn't conjure up any affection for her at all. The book is divided into 3 sections. I read the first one and bagged it.

Occasionally I will stop reading a book because I just can't get into it, but I'll try again in 6 months or a year. I get into it, and I enjoy the book. (A couple of Barbara Kingsolver's were like that for me). No desire to ever pick up Eat, Pray, Love again.

September 21st, 2011, 1:39 am #3

I did a search on this title before posting this just to see if anyone else had ever mentioned it, and it was on a list of books Sandy MI read. I'm curious to know what you thought about it Sandy.

I was at the library last week, and there was another lady (younger than me by at least 15 years) in the section where my favorite books are located. Turns out she was getting a book by the same author. So we started chatting and she told me about another series she just loved because it was so funny. So I checked out the first in the series: Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella.

I didn't find it funny at all. I found the character pathetic, shallow, and just plain stupid. Why? Because she dug herself into debt and then kept digging, and then wanted to be bailed out instead of doing anything about it herself. Unless the book is horrible from the start, I try to give it 50 pages before deciding it's drivel, and I gave this one 57 before closing the book in disgust. Maybe she wised up and started getting her life together on page 58, but if I didn't crack a smile once during 57 pages, I doubt if I would think the rest of the book funny even if I didn't dislike the main character so much.

------
Shopaholic, that is. I know I read it last year because it's in my book log but I can't remember anything from the plot. Anyway, I can't think of any right now that were personally recommended to me that I didn't like, but last year I read The Tender Bar, which won the Pulitzer prize and just couldn't make myself finish it. And then wondered what was so wonderful about the book that I was missing or what was wrong with me that I couldn't appreciate it.

September 21st, 2011, 7:33 am #4

------
DD passed this on to me saying it was one of the best books she had ever read.
I made a start on it and found it very dull, but she told me to persevere as it got better. Well, I suppose it did get a bit better, but it just seemed to go on and on.Then on a bit more
I did read it all, but was glad when it was finished. I wouldn't say I hated it though

September 21st, 2011, 12:56 pm #5

DS's ex raved about Eat, Pray, Love. The main character was incredibly shallow and I couldn't conjure up any affection for her at all. The book is divided into 3 sections. I read the first one and bagged it.

Occasionally I will stop reading a book because I just can't get into it, but I'll try again in 6 months or a year. I get into it, and I enjoy the book. (A couple of Barbara Kingsolver's were like that for me). No desire to ever pick up Eat, Pray, Love again.
I lasted about 30 minutes before changing the channel (it was on Starz I think).
LisaCNC

September 21st, 2011, 1:07 pm #6

------
yet so many people rave about it.... Guess it's just not my thing.

September 21st, 2011, 1:18 pm #7

The first bit is really dull, but once you are over that you won't be able to put it down. The whole trilogy is unputdownable

September 21st, 2011, 2:56 pm #8

------
I felt the same way the first time I read that book and DD #1 kept saying "just wait" and "keep reading"- Her financial ability does improve and you find out that she gets into most of her trouble because she is a people pleaser.

September 21st, 2011, 4:57 pm #9

------
One of my friends raved about it and I said I had no desire to read it. She actually BOUGHT me a copy because she loved it so much. I felt obligated to read it. I pretty much hated it. One thing I learned, though, is not to recommend too many things (books, movies, restaurants) to people. Invariably, I love it(them) and they hate it(them)!

September 21st, 2011, 5:11 pm #10

------
Eat, Pray, Love was one of our book club books. I got about a third of the way through it and just couldn't do it. I kept thinking it was the most self indulgent, narcissistic book I had ever read. Granted, she was doing self exploration but I kept thinking if she would just think about someone other than herself she might be happy. It was interesting that all the married women who had kids despised the book and all the single, never-married women loved it.

I tried to read Twilight and got 40-50 pages into it and that was all I could take. Even my daughter and her friend, both prime targets for the book, hated it. The writing just seemed so vapid.

My SIL loved The Shopaholic. I read it and smiled a few times but what seemed to bother me most was her being such an inveterate liar. I did find some of the ways she justified charging things kinda funny because it is very easy to talk yourself into things you don't really need. An example is when she was going to cook at home to save money and bought all this equipment to do it.

I liked the Dragon Tattoo books. I got totally hooked.