Freezer inventory....

Freezer inventory....

February 7th, 2012, 10:59 pm #1

Ok, just because I have not done one in quite a while, I went down and did a freezer inventory. My freezer is in the garage now... I liked it better, back in my apartment, when it was in the kitchen next to the fridge/freezer.... I was mostly making note of meats but also some other things. Here's what I have got- any suggestions and ideas are appreciated! I'm always looking for new inspiration!

I have:

(beef/venison)
1 lb pack of "venison to grind"
4 hamburgers
1 pack Aldi stew meat
1 small pack of venison for pepper steaks

(poultry)
2 BIG turkeys- one I am thawing tomorrow, planning to cook this weekend
5 lb bag of wings
1 roasting chicken
1 5lb bag of boneless skinless chicken breasts (IQF)
Family pack of bone-in thighs
1 small bag chicken nuggets

(pork)
1 very large "ham thing"... I say "ham thing" because my BF works at a school- when we had the big storm in October, FEMA came in and turned it into a shelter, it served as a shelter for a week and he worked over 100 hours that week, when they cleared out, Fema wanted all the left over food to be thrown in the dumpster, even things that were never thawed... so BF grabbed this giant ham- it's like 2 feet long.... I don't know if it is real ham, lunch meat or "composite meat product" or what... one day we're just gonna have to thaw it and figure it out but it is a LOT of ham....
1 "pea-soup pack"- contains a ham bone and some big chunks of ham meat that will be used to make pea soup.
2 packs of "red-hots"
1 lb italian sausage (planning to make that thing Carol posted about ages ago- with lentils and spinach, that you make in the crock pot)
1 pack pork cutlets
1 large (3 lb?) pork roast
4 lbs of bacon

(other)
large frozen bag mango chunks
frozen raspberries
1 1/2 cups frozen rhubarb sauce
ww bread
Mozarella cheese- lots (4 cups?)
shredded chddar about 2 cups
2 packs of spaghetti meat sauce that I just made
large bag of raviolis
salmon burgers
Peirogies (sp?)
Fish sticks (DD loves these, I don't)
6 packs english muffins (also thanks to fema)
3 containers of juice concentrate
Some baking ingredients like cocnut, choc. chips and some nuts
Gallon jar 2/3 full with turkey stock

(veggies)
lots of frozen veggies- I have mixed veg, corn, green beans, a brocoli/cauliflower/carrot combo thing in cheese sauce and broccoli.

This is just the frozen stuff... I'm figuring I have a months worth of food right here.

February 7th, 2012, 11:40 pm #2

beef/venison)
1 lb pack of "venison to grind" -make meatballs to stretch this, or a meatloaf
4 hamburgers-burger and oven fries night
1 pack Aldi stew meat-crockpot beef stew on a busy day
1 small pack of venison for pepper steaks -crockpot pepper steaks

(poultry)
2 BIG turkeys- one I am thawing tomorrow, planning to cook this weekend -leftover turkey: cut 1/2 of the unsliced breast, and freeze right away for future sandwiches. Be sure to cook the carcass bones along with the skin, pan drippings for free stock for rice, soup, gravy, casserole base. Freeze some cubed leftover meat in homemade gravy for a busy night. Serve over rice/pasta/toast/mashed potatoes, add a side veggie. Leftover meat is also great as taco filling, we actually prefer it over beef. Grind up some cooked meat and use like raw ground meat for turkey meatballs/burgers/meatloaf. Got BBQ sauce? I love to make "pulled pork" type sandwich filling in the crockpot with it. Also, sliver some for stir fry, cube some for a crockpot stew, make turkey salad (got craisins?)
5 lb bag of wings -can serve as wings or boil down, remove what little meat there is, and use like turkey meantioned above. Free soup stock, too
1 roasting chicken-roast chicken meal followed by a planned over-see turkey notes. free soup
1 5lb bag of boneless skinless chicken breasts (IQF) Marinate some then broil/grill. Slice on the bias for sandwich fillings, salad toppings. Pound out and make chicken parm. serve over spaghetti. Poach some for chicken salad, or a chicken stew. Stretch with a ton of root veggies in the crockpot.
Family pack of bone-in thighs -that screams crockpot chicken cacciatore over rice.
1 small bag chicken nuggets -a quick lunch/snack or use to fill tortillas, just sliver the cooked nuggets first

(pork)
1 very large "ham thing"... I say "ham thing" because my BF works at a school- when we had the big storm in October, FEMA came in and turned it into a shelter, it served as a shelter for a week and he worked over 100 hours that week, when they cleared out, Fema wanted all the left over food to be thrown in the dumpster, even things that were never thawed... so BF grabbed this giant ham- it's like 2 feet long.... I don't know if it is real ham, lunch meat or "composite meat product" or what... one day we're just gonna have to thaw it and figure it out but it is a LOT of ham....
Got access to a meat slicer? this sounds like what they use for Deli meat. You can grind it, make deviled ham salad. grind it and make meatballs, place in a crock pot with sweet n sour or BBQ sauce. Yum. Serve over rice. Pineapple chunks, slivered onions and peppers.
1 "pea-soup pack"- contains a ham bone and some big chunks of ham meat that will be used to make pea soup. -use the bone to make a crockpot of dried pintos. YUM! Serve with cornbread. Now, use the meat chunks, some of the aforementioned freebie chicken/turkey stock and make pea soup. You won't miss the ham bone, you'll get the gelitain from the ck/turkey stock and end up with 2 generous entrees of food. Even I have leftovers with these type dishes. : )
2 packs of "red-hots" Got saurkraut? Cook in the crockpot (slice into 3 inch pieces) and cover with a can of kraut, add some cider vinegar, brown sugar. Serve with pork beans. You can also make a beanies and weanies dish with these to stretch. Some add gr pepper, onions, pineapple, chopped apple, extra molasses/br sugar/ketchup/ cider vinegar etc.
1 lb italian sausage (planning to make that thing Carol posted about ages ago- with lentils and spinach, that you make in the crock pot) -Yes, very good. You can also only use 1/2 lb of meat for that and brown off the other 1/2 for a bolognese sauce over pasta.
1 pack pork cutlets -can cube for a stew, can sliver for stirfry or pork fried rice, brown and then cook off in the crockpot in a can of cream of X soup, 1/2 a can of milk, black pepper to taste, one sliced onion
1 large (3 lb?) pork roast -roast pork one night, followd by planned overs. see ideas above
4 lbs of bacon-ration as this is pricey, even when on sale. A few sliced, diced, make a wonderful base for soups like bean, clam chowder, lentil, minestrone. A few cooked pieces, chopped for a Bisquik impossible pie/quiche or fritatta. Add some chopped to baked beans

(other)
large frozen bag mango chunks -make a fruit sauce to top angel food or pound cake. Make smoothies, make gingered mango jam (to die for!)
frozen raspberries -see mango
1 1/2 cups frozen rhubarb sauce -see mango as dessert topper, even over ice cream
ww bread
Mozarella cheese- lots (4 cups?) -use a cup to top a baked ziti type dish, use 2 cups for homemade pizza, use last cup to top pasta that is not a baked off dish
shredded chddar about 2 cups -mac n cheese
2 packs of spaghetti meat sauce that I just made -got pasta?
large bag of raviolis -make a simple marinara (save your meat sauce for a reg pasta night)
salmon burgers-serve with homemade tartar sauce, on a plate or a bun
Peirogies (sp?) -can serve with your red hots above, pan fry in butter with onions.
Fish sticks (DD loves these, I don't)-fish tacos, fish sticks and oven fries (make your own0
6 packs english muffins (also thanks to fema) -Eng muffin pizzas or bfst
3 containers of juice concentrate -bfst
Some baking ingredients like cocnut, choc. chips and some nuts -cookies
Gallon jar 2/3 full with turkey stock -see above. Make a turkey rice soup, use ground chicken/turkey and make mini meatballs to plunk in. Once they rise to the top, they are cooked.my kids love this soup
HTH!
Carol

(veggies)
lots of frozen veggies- I have mixed veg, corn, green beans, a brocoli/cauliflower/carrot combo thing in cheese sauce and broccoli.

This is just the frozen stuff... I'm figuring I have a months worth of food right here.

February 7th, 2012, 11:59 pm #3

Forgot to add:use the ham thingy and cut slices a la ham steak out of it.

February 8th, 2012, 11:54 am #4

beef/venison)
1 lb pack of "venison to grind" -make meatballs to stretch this, or a meatloaf
4 hamburgers-burger and oven fries night
1 pack Aldi stew meat-crockpot beef stew on a busy day
1 small pack of venison for pepper steaks -crockpot pepper steaks

(poultry)
2 BIG turkeys- one I am thawing tomorrow, planning to cook this weekend -leftover turkey: cut 1/2 of the unsliced breast, and freeze right away for future sandwiches. Be sure to cook the carcass bones along with the skin, pan drippings for free stock for rice, soup, gravy, casserole base. Freeze some cubed leftover meat in homemade gravy for a busy night. Serve over rice/pasta/toast/mashed potatoes, add a side veggie. Leftover meat is also great as taco filling, we actually prefer it over beef. Grind up some cooked meat and use like raw ground meat for turkey meatballs/burgers/meatloaf. Got BBQ sauce? I love to make "pulled pork" type sandwich filling in the crockpot with it. Also, sliver some for stir fry, cube some for a crockpot stew, make turkey salad (got craisins?)
5 lb bag of wings -can serve as wings or boil down, remove what little meat there is, and use like turkey meantioned above. Free soup stock, too
1 roasting chicken-roast chicken meal followed by a planned over-see turkey notes. free soup
1 5lb bag of boneless skinless chicken breasts (IQF) Marinate some then broil/grill. Slice on the bias for sandwich fillings, salad toppings. Pound out and make chicken parm. serve over spaghetti. Poach some for chicken salad, or a chicken stew. Stretch with a ton of root veggies in the crockpot.
Family pack of bone-in thighs -that screams crockpot chicken cacciatore over rice.
1 small bag chicken nuggets -a quick lunch/snack or use to fill tortillas, just sliver the cooked nuggets first

(pork)
Got access to a meat slicer? this sounds like what they use for Deli meat. You can grind it, make deviled ham salad. grind it and make meatballs, place in a crock pot with sweet n sour or BBQ sauce. Yum. Serve over rice. Pineapple chunks, slivered onions and peppers.
1 "pea-soup pack"- contains a ham bone and some big chunks of ham meat that will be used to make pea soup. -use the bone to make a crockpot of dried pintos. YUM! Serve with cornbread. Now, use the meat chunks, some of the aforementioned freebie chicken/turkey stock and make pea soup. You won't miss the ham bone, you'll get the gelitain from the ck/turkey stock and end up with 2 generous entrees of food. Even I have leftovers with these type dishes. : )
2 packs of "red-hots" Got saurkraut? Cook in the crockpot (slice into 3 inch pieces) and cover with a can of kraut, add some cider vinegar, brown sugar. Serve with pork beans. You can also make a beanies and weanies dish with these to stretch. Some add gr pepper, onions, pineapple, chopped apple, extra molasses/br sugar/ketchup/ cider vinegar etc.
1 lb italian sausage (planning to make that thing Carol posted about ages ago- with lentils and spinach, that you make in the crock pot) -Yes, very good. You can also only use 1/2 lb of meat for that and brown off the other 1/2 for a bolognese sauce over pasta.
1 pack pork cutlets -can cube for a stew, can sliver for stirfry or pork fried rice, brown and then cook off in the crockpot in a can of cream of X soup, 1/2 a can of milk, black pepper to taste, one sliced onion
1 large (3 lb?) pork roast -roast pork one night, followd by planned overs. see ideas above
4 lbs of bacon-ration as this is pricey, even when on sale. A few sliced, diced, make a wonderful base for soups like bean, clam chowder, lentil, minestrone. A few cooked pieces, chopped for a Bisquik impossible pie/quiche or fritatta. Add some chopped to baked beans

(other)
large frozen bag mango chunks -make a fruit sauce to top angel food or pound cake. Make smoothies, make gingered mango jam (to die for!)
frozen raspberries -see mango
1 1/2 cups frozen rhubarb sauce -see mango as dessert topper, even over ice cream
ww bread
Mozarella cheese- lots (4 cups?) -use a cup to top a baked ziti type dish, use 2 cups for homemade pizza, use last cup to top pasta that is not a baked off dish
shredded chddar about 2 cups -mac n cheese
2 packs of spaghetti meat sauce that I just made -got pasta?
large bag of raviolis -make a simple marinara (save your meat sauce for a reg pasta night)
salmon burgers-serve with homemade tartar sauce, on a plate or a bun
Peirogies (sp?) -can serve with your red hots above, pan fry in butter with onions.
Fish sticks (DD loves these, I don't)-fish tacos, fish sticks and oven fries (make your own0
6 packs english muffins (also thanks to fema) -Eng muffin pizzas or bfst
3 containers of juice concentrate -bfst
Some baking ingredients like cocnut, choc. chips and some nuts -cookies
Gallon jar 2/3 full with turkey stock -see above. Make a turkey rice soup, use ground chicken/turkey and make mini meatballs to plunk in. Once they rise to the top, they are cooked.my kids love this soup
HTH!
Carol

(veggies)

Great ideas and inspiration! Just what I was looking for!!! I was thinking along the same lines on a lot of it! On the one hand I am glad to have a months worth of dinners in there, but OTOH I know I need to keep adding to it to not deplete it. Price rite has some great meat sales this week... I try to buy at least 2 meat things to put in the freezer each week... unless things are super-duper tight.

Carol- do you have a recipe for that mango- ginger jam? Sounds wonderful!!!!

February 8th, 2012, 12:16 pm #5

Let me check later and get back to you. I'm already at work!

February 8th, 2012, 5:23 pm #6

Ok, just because I have not done one in quite a while, I went down and did a freezer inventory. My freezer is in the garage now... I liked it better, back in my apartment, when it was in the kitchen next to the fridge/freezer.... I was mostly making note of meats but also some other things. Here's what I have got- any suggestions and ideas are appreciated! I'm always looking for new inspiration!

I have:

(beef/venison)
4 hamburgers
1 pack Aldi stew meat

(poultry)
5 lb bag of wings
1 roasting chicken

(pork)
1 "pea-soup pack"- contains a ham bone and some big chunks of ham meat that will be used to make pea soup.
2 packs of "red-hots"
1 lb italian sausage (planning to make that thing Carol posted about ages ago- with lentils and spinach, that you make in the crock pot)
1 pack pork cutlets
4 lbs of bacon

(other)
frozen raspberries
ww bread
large bag of raviolis
salmon burgers
Peirogies (sp?)

(veggies)

Our problem that we've finally taken control over is leftovers. Dh recently roasted a turkey - easily 6 meals - but used to be if we didn't eat it all within a week - we'd throw it out. NOW we plan sort of what we're doing with the leftovers. I cube it and freeze in 2 cup quatities so when it's casserole time or pot pie time I just grab a bag out of the freezer. it took a long time to re-program our thinking to get the food BACK into the freezer once we'd cooked it!! Plus DH gets into cooking sometimes and cooks for us for a week. 4 different things all of which will have way too many leftovers to be eaten before they spoil. How did it not occur to us till recent years to freeze leftovers!! I made turkey casserole with leftover cooked fresh veggies that i froze, and leftover cooked rice that i froze and leftover turkey.

February 8th, 2012, 8:03 pm #7

The first night I make the roast/turkey/ham.... Portion it out to stetch it or it won't go as far. Today I used the ham I had put in the container, to make the ham salad with, it is soooo good! Did not have enough relish but I had some pickes so I just food processed those first then added the mayo and the meat. It came out so good, and unlike the stuff from the grocery (ham salad) I know this has not been sitting around all week.

February 8th, 2012, 8:07 pm #8

I have:

(beef/venison)
4 hamburgers
1 pack Aldi stew meat

(poultry)
5 lb bag of wings
1 roasting chicken

(pork)
2 packs of "red-hots"
1 pack pork cutlets
4 lbs of bacon

(other)
frozen raspberries
ww bread
large bag of raviolis
salmon burgers
Peirogies (sp?)

(veggies)

For some reason that cracked me up!

February 9th, 2012, 12:40 am #9

LOL, it's what I think of when I think of "subway" meat....

February 9th, 2012, 12:43 am #10

Let me check later and get back to you. I'm already at work!
http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/Ma ... L8081.html

this is very close to the recipe I used this Summer to clear out some Angel Food fzn mango cubes that were taking up space in the freezer. Delicious!