Fitness goals...

Fitness goals...

January 10th, 2012, 1:40 am #1

Is anyone working on a fitness goal. It can be anything from drinking more water, taking vitamins, walking etc....to bigger ones. I finally dragged myself to the fitness center. I started on the couch potato to 5k plan. I felt like such a slug but soldiered on. I was on the right track in 2009, lost weight and actually ran a 5K but I let myself fall back into old habits. I won't even step on a scale at this point.

I know for me it is helpful to post progress and have accountability partners. Anyone else looking for encouragement in achieving a fitness goal?

January 10th, 2012, 2:41 am #2

I have vowed to do some form of exercise every day UNLESS I am away from home that day. So if it's a weeknight and I have plans with someone after work, I'm off the hook. If I go away for the weekend, same deal. Since I started this plan on 12/26, I have not missed a day when I was supposed to exercise.

I have a Y membership, so my exercise can be a group class, swimming, or just walking on the treadmill while watching TV (like today). One day last week, I did 15 minutes with hand weights at home. When summertime comes, I'm going to count golfing. In other words, the point isn't to burn calories or to meet a specific goal....I just want to MOVE in some manner most days.

January 10th, 2012, 4:26 am #3

Is anyone working on a fitness goal. It can be anything from drinking more water, taking vitamins, walking etc....to bigger ones. I finally dragged myself to the fitness center. I started on the couch potato to 5k plan. I felt like such a slug but soldiered on. I was on the right track in 2009, lost weight and actually ran a 5K but I let myself fall back into old habits. I won't even step on a scale at this point.

I know for me it is helpful to post progress and have accountability partners. Anyone else looking for encouragement in achieving a fitness goal?
I have a friend who does it and said it keeps her back from hurting. I just don't know how long my knee will let me. So far walking doesn't hurt any worse than not doing anything. I used to run track in high school and it's a real disappoint to me that I've let myself go and have so little endurance any more.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

January 10th, 2012, 1:29 pm #4

I haven't created a "plan" yet - but i need to get healthy, and it wouldn't hurt to lose 100 pounds.

just before Christmas - dh and I were in JCP, He found a beautiful bracelet that i'd call elephants on parade, and i found a gorgeous "diamond" choker. in daydream conversation he said - "well yeah but you'd need an occasion to wear something like that."

The possibility exists that we may have a white tie event next year. IF it happens, and IF we go - I need to be a size 10. and if all those things happen - we've agreed at the very least i can have the bracelet.

SO heck yeah I need accountability!!

January 10th, 2012, 2:13 pm #5

just MOVE ten min a day, LOL

I did join the health club, and go to their water aerobics class. Need to go through the phys. test and use some machine, any machine, a couple more days a week.

Need to watch food. I refuse to say diet other than okay, shoot for a healthy diet.

Myra in West Texas

January 10th, 2012, 4:57 pm #6

My goals are pretty loose. I know I want to lose another 5 pounds and get back into trail running again this spring/summer. I'd like to just firm up all around if possible. I lost about 10 pounds last summer, so Im wearing clothes I havent worn in years. Woo Hoo!

I'm really more focused on budget goals right now, so I'm putting my fitness goals aside for a month or two. However, I still need to do something. My current kinda-sorta- goal is to try to hike one day a week. Doesn't seem like much, but I'm really struggling to get there right now. Maybe Ill go at lunch today. I'm currently trying to eat sugar-free and mostly gluten free to see if I can drop the bloated post-holiday feeling I have and break some bad snacking habits I developed over the long weekends.

[Edited to add apostrophes, which disappeared and to change "train" to "trail" LOL!]
Last edited by PaulaF-in-CO on January 10th, 2012, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 10th, 2012, 6:23 pm #7

I haven't created a "plan" yet - but i need to get healthy, and it wouldn't hurt to lose 100 pounds.

just before Christmas - dh and I were in JCP, He found a beautiful bracelet that i'd call elephants on parade, and i found a gorgeous "diamond" choker. in daydream conversation he said - "well yeah but you'd need an occasion to wear something like that."

The possibility exists that we may have a white tie event next year. IF it happens, and IF we go - I need to be a size 10. and if all those things happen - we've agreed at the very least i can have the bracelet.

How exciting to have the possibility of a formal event and a beautiful bracelet to spur you on.

I've lost over 100 pounds in 4 gain/loss periods over the last 10 years, and I know you can too. (35# gained from homebuilding project stress then lost, 35# gained from child 1 then lost, 30# gained from child 2 then lost). I never lost more than 35 pounds at a time, so it is different. Nevertheless, I know you can do it.

Now, you mentioned in another thread that you don't eat breakfast. You know that one of the biggest predictors of weight loss/management is breakfast. Sorry, but you have to start eating breakfast. For me, I cook up a 4-day batch of eggs with brown rice on Sunday and bring it to work on Monday. For you, of course, it's oatmeal. LOL!!!

Seriously though, I'm cheering for you.

Paula

January 10th, 2012, 6:31 pm #8

I rejoined the wellness/fitness center Jan 2010. To date, I am 5 lbs heavier that when I rejoined. That means I now have 90 lbs to lose. Just visiting the nutritionst didn't help very long, so I am going to sign up for the 12-week class they have (additional cost). I know what to do; I'm just hoping the accountability might help. I hope I can keep from lying in the food journal.

If this doesn't work, then I may try therapy (too embarrased/shy to go to an overeaters anonymous meeting). Either that or just throw in the towel and end up in a wheelchair because my knees wear out.

January 10th, 2012, 8:38 pm #9

How exciting to have the possibility of a formal event and a beautiful bracelet to spur you on.

I've lost over 100 pounds in 4 gain/loss periods over the last 10 years, and I know you can too. (35# gained from homebuilding project stress then lost, 35# gained from child 1 then lost, 30# gained from child 2 then lost). I never lost more than 35 pounds at a time, so it is different. Nevertheless, I know you can do it.

Now, you mentioned in another thread that you don't eat breakfast. You know that one of the biggest predictors of weight loss/management is breakfast. Sorry, but you have to start eating breakfast. For me, I cook up a 4-day batch of eggs with brown rice on Sunday and bring it to work on Monday. For you, of course, it's oatmeal. LOL!!!

Seriously though, I'm cheering for you.

Paula
I ate oatmeal for breakfast every day from july 16 00 thru march 8 01, from nov 16 2001 through june 06 02 and from July 3 2006 thru june 16, 2007; aka every day from the day i got home from the hospital with a new baby till the baby quit nursing!! I also had a beer or wine every night, and took a million and one herbal supplements every day all in the name of increasing supply.

I bet i can do it again for a slinky dress and that bracelet!! (ah how our priorities change LOL!!)

for that first kid's digestion i also had ZERO dairy or eggs for that period - quite a feat considering at the time i was used to drinking 1/2 gallon of milk every day. Giving up dairy entirely i don't think i can do again!

edited bc i can't spell

Last edited by stina716 on January 10th, 2012, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 11th, 2012, 12:39 am #10

You have a whole year to achieve the end goal of being a size ten. Have you though about making smaller goals that ultimately will lead to the size 10. MAybe start out with eating breakfast every morning or eating more fruits and veggies. I imagine fitting in exercise will be the hardest step. Can you walk during your lunch hour. This is how DH started on his weight loss/ fitness journey 5 years ago.