E-books

E-books

January 26th, 2012, 7:12 pm #1

I saw the post about a free e-book. I used to use my computer with the kindle app but received a kindle for my b-day. For the past couple of months I have been checking out amazon top 100 free books. It changes quickly and I have picked up a book one day and had it gone the next. This is good and bad because if it looks interesting I go ahead and download it thinking I can just delete it later, which is what I end up doing on a lot of them.

You just go to top 100 kindle books and it has a list for paid and free. You can narrow it down to what you like to read, for example I like mystery so I will go to fiction and then mystery. Its got me to notice a few authors I wouldn't have seen otherwise. Here is the link.

http://tinyurl.com/7zudml5

I mostly read fiction but have downloaded some non-fiction books.
Organized Simplicity
The Scottish-Irish Pub cookbook
Easy Fabulous Bread Making
Everything Soup, Stew, and Chili

One more thing if you are a prime member you can borrow some of the books for free. I have noticed that a couple of books I downloaded for free went to only prime free the next day. I don't have a prime membership but find plenty to read for free if I'm not too picky. And my library has a nice site for e-books through overdrive.

January 26th, 2012, 7:16 pm #2

I downloaded this and How to Repel Dog Fleas today. Haven't looked at either but thought I would try them out.

http://www.amazon.com/Frugal-Kitchen-Ti ... 56154011_6

http://www.amazon.com/Repel-Natural-Nat ... 56700011_4

January 26th, 2012, 7:20 pm #3

I saw the post about a free e-book. I used to use my computer with the kindle app but received a kindle for my b-day. For the past couple of months I have been checking out amazon top 100 free books. It changes quickly and I have picked up a book one day and had it gone the next. This is good and bad because if it looks interesting I go ahead and download it thinking I can just delete it later, which is what I end up doing on a lot of them.

You just go to top 100 kindle books and it has a list for paid and free. You can narrow it down to what you like to read, for example I like mystery so I will go to fiction and then mystery. Its got me to notice a few authors I wouldn't have seen otherwise. Here is the link.

Organized Simplicity

One more thing if you are a prime member you can borrow some of the books for free. I have noticed that a couple of books I downloaded for free went to only prime free the next day. I don't have a prime membership but find plenty to read for free if I'm not too picky. And my library has a nice site for e-books through overdrive.
Can you read any other format on the Kindle?
I have found enough Kindle books so far to read for free but once in a while a book doesn't come in the Kindle format.
Last edited by TammyL on January 26th, 2012, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 26th, 2012, 7:38 pm #4

This is one of the complaints about e-readers like kindle and nook. Overdrive which works with my library just started letting you check out kindle books. But it sends you to amazon to check out the book and if you want to return it early you need to go to the manage you kindle book to clear it. Oh and the reason I pick kindle was because nook wanted a credit card attached to your account. With the kindle I can use gift cards.

Before overdrive had kindle I used adobe for the e-books on my computer. And some books are still not available for kindle so for library check out I use adobe. I also still check out books from my library.

Just to share a bit of information. Not as many people use our library's online service yet so the list is shorter. I was on the list for Explosive Eighteen the new Evanovich book and for the book the list had over 200. For the e-book it wait was 15. I received the e-book before the other so read it but even then I received the hardback a couple of days later.

January 27th, 2012, 1:48 pm #5

Organized Simplicity

most of the classics are free (in the amazon store) We have a kindle with 3G and honestly - i have no clue how to download or read an e-book otherwise.

We currently have 92 books on the kindle, and have paid a total of $0.00 for them. DD is currently reading around the world in 80 days, having just finished the picture of Dorian Grey. I realized while downloading them that there is alot that I haven't read that i probably should have read in High School!!

DH is vehemently ANTI ebooks. he wants a newspaper printed on paper and real books to carry in your briefcase. While I agree - I do like the convienience of the kindle.

January 30th, 2012, 1:09 pm #6

Organized Simplicity

DD had a dance three towns away and i had 2.5 hours to sit in the car waiting. downloaded 21 free fiction books. All fluffy harlequin romance kind of stuff. Just what I've been needing!!

I'd downloaded 24 books, mostly cookbooks, the other day from a facebook site "thrifty homemaker"

Also found a few more games for DD.

we now have 110 books on the kindle, and haven't spent a dime!

January 30th, 2012, 5:12 pm #7

Organized Simplicity

That link is just what I was looking for. I downloaded a bunch of books. Now, when do I read them? LOL! Maybe I'll just starting reading on my laptop in bed.

February 12th, 2012, 3:45 pm #8

Organized Simplicity

This is what I do, I look at the top 100 free book list. It says it updates hourly, I look once a day or so. Pick a book and delete it after I've either read it or decided its not for me.

At the side is a list to look at whatever topic you are interested in. I found yesterdays savings book in lifestyle then home category.

February 12th, 2012, 7:06 pm #9

Myra in West Texas

February 12th, 2012, 7:19 pm #10

Organized Simplicity

I can see Amazon Prime is going to be a very real temptation

Myra in West Texas