coffee deprivation

coffee deprivation

February 14th, 2012, 11:17 pm #1

well, trying to cut back seriously on coffee. just one big cup in the morning, a 2/3 caff to 1/3 decaf mix.

hard. but had a great nap.

hoping it will help me sleep better at night.

also, realize we spend almost $1,000 a year on coffee, and that is just drinking it at home! really not good value for the money.

anyone want to offer caffeine deprivation moral support?
karen

February 15th, 2012, 1:02 am #2

So what were you buying that cost almost $85 per month? Or rather, how much were you drinking? Are you going from many cups to just the one? Did you have a headache today?

I drink one big mug in the morning, made with 2 cups of water and 4 tablespoons of coffee, it's pretty strong. If I don't drink it by 9 or so I get a headache. For years I've been drinking various brands from warehouse stores. Right now it's Kirkland Columbian Supremo from Costco. We don't have a membership but bought it when my in-laws were here since they do. It was about $15 for 3 pounds and is very good. I'm the only one who drinks it during the week though, and dh will have one small cup on the weekends. So it lasts a month and a half or more per bag. So about 8 bags per year is about $120.

I hope cutting back helps you sleep better and the withdrawal symptoms don't last too long.

Edited to add that if we don't join a warehouse store again, which I don't see us doing soon, my coffee expense is going to go up. How much, I don't know yet since it's been ages since I've bought coffee in a regular grocery store. Any good recommendations? I do like Eight O Clock and I know you can get that at the grocery store.

Edited because I use 2 T per cup, not for 2 cups.
Last edited by SandyinMI on February 17th, 2012, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 15th, 2012, 3:05 am #3

I even offer it to the teenager regularly but he never takes it, just is sleepy.

one big pot in the morning, 2/3 caf. the stuff we drink, like safeway or folgers flavored is over $10 a pound. we put in like three ounces in the coffee pot, then dh usually makes a second smaller pot, I usually make a cappuchino with about an ounce. anyway, I have been tracking and it adds up.

no headache, but I had a great nap. lets see how I sleep tonight.

February 15th, 2012, 3:19 am #4

well, trying to cut back seriously on coffee. just one big cup in the morning, a 2/3 caff to 1/3 decaf mix.

also, realize we spend almost $1,000 a year on coffee, and that is just drinking it at home! really not good value for the money.

karen
I was down to 1/2 cup a day until we went to St. Louis and had a horrible headache. Stripping cabinets in the house yesterday and today and woke up with another horrible headache. I've probably had 6 cups today. Hopefully, I can go back to a cup tomorrow and work my way down again.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

February 15th, 2012, 3:30 am #5

karen
sorry, not much help

I like good loose leaf teas, which can cost up to $20 for 8 oz. However, I'm still working on an 8oz tin I got in Sept. It's almost empty and I'm bummed I'm seeing bottom in it... I do have a couple of other flavors to work on though before I buy more. With the loose leaf I can brew the same leaves twice, and get two good cups in the morning. Then I save the leaves and brew another in the evening. I took a tour of a tea plantation in SC, and the tour guide said 90% of the caffeine is out of the leaves in the first minute of steeping, so doing it that way I can have tea at night without keeping me up (or specifically buying caffeine free).
Last edited by Stacey_K on February 15th, 2012, 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 15th, 2012, 8:30 am #6

karen
When I was in the hospital in November I was off coffee for that entire month...USA coffee. The doctor suggested that I try hot milk with espresso in it. So, I did (they served this at the hospital) and I like it. My husband makes espresso and just puts a couple tablespoons into the hot milk for me. I tried drinking coffee a couple time since being back home and had to throw it out. So, go for it.

February 15th, 2012, 2:02 pm #7

I even offer it to the teenager regularly but he never takes it, just is sleepy.

one big pot in the morning, 2/3 caf. the stuff we drink, like safeway or folgers flavored is over $10 a pound. we put in like three ounces in the coffee pot, then dh usually makes a second smaller pot, I usually make a cappuchino with about an ounce. anyway, I have been tracking and it adds up.

no headache, but I had a great nap. lets see how I sleep tonight.
I see now, that's about 6 ounces a day, so you'd be going through a 3 pound bag in less than a week.

Dh used to drink it more, but now it upsets his stomach if he drinks more than a small cup. This started after I began making it in a French press and it must be because it's stronger. We like the flavor best that way though so we're sticking to that, plus he only drinks it on weekends and sometimes not even then.

If you and your dh aren't getting headaches, consider yourself lucky! My dad switched to one cup of regular per day and then decaf after that after being diagnosed with high blood pressure. It was very hard for him to switch from a pot of regular a day to one cup.

Good luck!

February 15th, 2012, 2:58 pm #8

because at about 8 PM I got a doozy, and I never get headaches, so I knew exactly what it was from!

and I slept great!
karen

February 15th, 2012, 3:00 pm #9

When I was in the hospital in November I was off coffee for that entire month...USA coffee. The doctor suggested that I try hot milk with espresso in it. So, I did (they served this at the hospital) and I like it. My husband makes espresso and just puts a couple tablespoons into the hot milk for me. I tried drinking coffee a couple time since being back home and had to throw it out. So, go for it.
I was in the hospital! And I had enough pain meds that I didn't notice the headaches, which was the real blessing. I still drink 2 cups of tea a day, though.

February 15th, 2012, 3:32 pm #10

karen
but I found I had to drink twice as much...

Seriously- I found green tea helped a LOT with the headaches and other withdrawal symptoms.