cheap December....Day 26

cheap December....Day 26

December 26th, 2011, 3:51 pm #1

NSD here. My in-laws are here for a couple of weeks and they insist on paying for everything, so I'm seeing a lot of NSDs here for awhile.

I'd be happy to bake cookies and play board games in front of the fire for days, but they all like to go-go-go all the time. Dh has inherited that from them, but luckily ds has a combination of his dad's itchy feet and his mom's hermit-ness. Today they all went to NYC and I decided to stay home and relax.

December 26th, 2011, 3:56 pm #2

Have gone rapidly into post Christmas/ new year mode and have done laundry and some cleaning.
Desperate to take down decorations ( basically only cards) but resisting

Was very careful not to over buy food and now have none of the nice leftovers and extras we usually have - think I might have over Grinched!

December 26th, 2011, 4:06 pm #3

NSD here. My in-laws are here for a couple of weeks and they insist on paying for everything, so I'm seeing a lot of NSDs here for awhile.

I'd be happy to bake cookies and play board games in front of the fire for days, but they all like to go-go-go all the time. Dh has inherited that from them, but luckily ds has a combination of his dad's itchy feet and his mom's hermit-ness. Today they all went to NYC and I decided to stay home and relax.
Everything was closed!

Today I am going to pack up the leftovers and take them to Harrison...unless we don't go until tomorrow, then I'll take whatever is left. I had put out a cheese tray yesterday and the cheese eventually dried out, so I'm thinking of something to make with melted cheese. Other than mac and cheese--which I made only last week--any ideas?

I would like to add, DH did NOT get carried away at the last minute and buy me a bunch of presents. He gave me the one that he'd bought before we realized the dog needed surgery, plus a new pair of Scotty dog pajamas (and they have Westies on them, too!). Everyone was more than satisfied with their presents, and DD loves the skeletons and skulls pajamas! They fit perfectly, too, except the bottoms are too long (which I suspected when I made them...but I can cut them off, and I wouldn't have been able to lengthen them).

December 26th, 2011, 4:07 pm #4

I don't usually venture forth the day after Christmas, but today I need to make a run to the hardware store and buy a new plunger. Otherwise I don't see any spending in the day. Will be making caramel popcorn today or tomorrow ingredients in the pantry... cleaning up from Christmas and yes my decorations are coming down TODAY! Will be boiling down the Christmas ham bone and making homemade egg noodles tomorrow or the next day as the weather is supposed to be rather nasty.

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."

December 26th, 2011, 4:25 pm #5

Everything was closed!

Today I am going to pack up the leftovers and take them to Harrison...unless we don't go until tomorrow, then I'll take whatever is left. I had put out a cheese tray yesterday and the cheese eventually dried out, so I'm thinking of something to make with melted cheese. Other than mac and cheese--which I made only last week--any ideas?

I would like to add, DH did NOT get carried away at the last minute and buy me a bunch of presents. He gave me the one that he'd bought before we realized the dog needed surgery, plus a new pair of Scotty dog pajamas (and they have Westies on them, too!). Everyone was more than satisfied with their presents, and DD loves the skeletons and skulls pajamas! They fit perfectly, too, except the bottoms are too long (which I suspected when I made them...but I can cut them off, and I wouldn't have been able to lengthen them).
with your left over cheese... thats if you have leftover ham:> you could make a cheese sauce for nacho's or, Augraten (sp) potatoes or find a casserole that calls for cheese, enchilada or tamale casseroles come to mind

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."

December 26th, 2011, 4:32 pm #6

Everything was closed!

Dh does not see the surgeon until tomorrow for his consultation, so he was sick as can be yesterday. I went to Walgreen's and got him Gatorade, 7-up and nutritional drinks. Saw a bridesmaid from my wedding many years ago working on Christmas Day. I felt bad that she had to work on Christmas, but was oh, so thankful that the store was open. For those that pray, please say a prayer for my dh that the surgeon tomorrow says that he can get insurance approval asap and do the surgery right away. Dh gets sicker and sicker each day that passes. Thanks so much!

Maxine, how about some french or sourdough bread, meat on top and topped with broiled cheeses from your Christmas cheese tray. A open faced sandwich and horseradish would be great too if it is beef of some sort.

Today, should be a non spend day. Dh has extras from my Walgreen's trip yesterday and I am doing laundry. Don't plan on going anywhere.

2catsmom

December 26th, 2011, 5:40 pm #7

Max-
I'd just shred it all in the food processor. Keep combined or separate by types (Cheddar in one bag, Swiss in another etc). Freeze it. The next time you need shredded cheese-you are ahead of the game. Mac N cheese, enchilladas, quiche, Impossible pies, baked stuffed potatoes/potato bar, soup, casserole, Welsh rarebit, pizza, tuna melts, omelettes, tacos etc.

HTH

December 26th, 2011, 8:30 pm #8

Dh does not see the surgeon until tomorrow for his consultation, so he was sick as can be yesterday. I went to Walgreen's and got him Gatorade, 7-up and nutritional drinks. Saw a bridesmaid from my wedding many years ago working on Christmas Day. I felt bad that she had to work on Christmas, but was oh, so thankful that the store was open. For those that pray, please say a prayer for my dh that the surgeon tomorrow says that he can get insurance approval asap and do the surgery right away. Dh gets sicker and sicker each day that passes. Thanks so much!

Maxine, how about some french or sourdough bread, meat on top and topped with broiled cheeses from your Christmas cheese tray. A open faced sandwich and horseradish would be great too if it is beef of some sort.

Today, should be a non spend day. Dh has extras from my Walgreen's trip yesterday and I am doing laundry. Don't plan on going anywhere.

2catsmom
Which means you are having a rough go, too. ((( Angel )))

December 26th, 2011, 10:21 pm #9

Yesterday I cleaned and decluttered the client's rooster collection. (I cleaned and she chose the roosters to go) 1/3 of that stupid collection was broken, anyway, and obviously she wasn't attached the most of them. I also decluttered her craft supplies, magazines, catalogues, and books. And I took all her photo albums apart and got them set up into 4 albums instead of 12 or whatever it was before. I threw away the broken, half full ones and 'scrapbooked' her pictures from her last birthday. Her next birthday is in a couple weeks so maybe it was time to get that done! :-/

Today we cleaned off the fridge and I threw away ten + years of ugly magnets ... Sigh! All part of the Christmas insanity...

No spending yesterday or today.

December 27th, 2011, 2:17 am #10

here as well. My SO and I went to Home Depot- he bought a tool and then he took me to lunch at Chilis. We had left over pizza from Saturday, for dinner... I watched a friends children (she is watching my kids tomorrow so I can go for my infusion). It worked out pretty well... I did strip and make my bed, did a lot of laundry and did some decluttering... I feel a trip to goodwill coming on to donate things! I have 3 bags now ready to go! I also spent time putting away presents from under the tree! DD got a LOT of clothing and I am gonna need to really cull thru what she has and get rid of a bunch so she has room to put this all away!
Last edited by SheilaPCT on December 27th, 2011, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.