Car buffs?

Car buffs?

June 8th, 2011, 8:54 pm #1

What do you use to polish the black rubber strips and bumpers on cars? I got wax on the strips and had a hard time polishing it off.

Oh wait, one more question. How do you get the wax off the raised letters on the car? The make & model letters?

------
The road to success is always under construction.
Last edited by TxNet on June 8th, 2011, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 8th, 2011, 9:23 pm #2

Spray a rag with Armour All, and polish the black strips around the windows, the bumper - and spray the tires well. Sometimes it takes a bit of scrubbing action to get the wax off, but it will do it.

To remove wax from around the letters and numbers - use a soft brush, like a tooth brush, with soapy water, and wash them, rinse, and dry.

Sounds like you've been busy!

June 8th, 2011, 9:50 pm #3

It's the first time I've waxed the car and I've had it a year. May even be the first time I've washed it. lol

------

June 9th, 2011, 4:42 am #4

If so you are doing good. The one and only time I bought a new car, they said don't wax it for the first year. Something about the paint curing...

I actually bought Turtle Wax Trim Restorer for the black stuff on my car. Works pretty good. What I really wanted though was Mothers Back to Black and Wally world here doesn't carry the Mothers brand. That's good stuff. I like their carnuba wax too.

June 9th, 2011, 4:14 pm #5

He kept it washed & waxed, but I really let it slip. I'm doing good to get the oil changed.

------

June 22nd, 2011, 8:38 pm #6

Spray a rag with Armour All, and polish the black strips around the windows, the bumper - and spray the tires well. Sometimes it takes a bit of scrubbing action to get the wax off, but it will do it.

To remove wax from around the letters and numbers - use a soft brush, like a tooth brush, with soapy water, and wash them, rinse, and dry.

Sounds like you've been busy!
I think that is one of the best tips I've had in awhile.

------

June 22nd, 2011, 8:47 pm #7

What do you use to polish the black rubber strips and bumpers on cars? I got wax on the strips and had a hard time polishing it off.

Oh wait, one more question. How do you get the wax off the raised letters on the car? The make & model letters?

------
Dd lives in Tulsa, is barely making ends meet, and her tires were shot when she drove down to meet us in Branson in May. So for her birthday (and probably Christmas) we decided to give her tires. Dh found a tire place not far from her job, called the place here where we take our cars and asked what tires and how much they should be, and then called the place in Tulsa. The tires were about the same price so we told dd to take her car and we'd call and pay the bill with our card. Then I called the place today to pay and the guy there told me that it is customary to align the tires also and that would be another $75.

Our regular mechanic didn't say anything about that and I don't remember ever having that done, at least as an extra charge, with tires we have bought for our cars.

------

June 22nd, 2011, 9:52 pm #8

but we will probably never know for sure.

"Customary" to charge the customer for an alignment without asking the customer, and showing them why it might be needed?

It is not uncommon, to hit a curb, and knock the car out of alignment, which would cause the tires to wear unevenly - leaving them thin on the inside or outside edge as a rule. If that was an issue, then an alignment is in order. If the tires were wearing evenly, but just worn out, she didn't need an alignment.

A year or so ago, my car tires needed replaced, when I asked the dealer who was changing my oil about it, he sent me to a specific shop to have it done. I took the car to the shop, they didn't have the specific tire I needed, but 'would order it', then he went out to look at them with me, and said "You need an alignment so they don't wear out again"....... I grew up the granddaughter of a grease monkey, and grease monkey's son, who both taught me a few things about cars... to say the least, I didn't end up buying tires from them, nor did I get an alignment. I also didn't return to the dealer for my oil changes after that, I think they were scratching their buddy's back, and thought I'd share my generosity. (Dh was never with me when I went to have the oil changed, or work done, so he didn't have any idea that I might be a bit wise to their ways.)

June 22nd, 2011, 9:55 pm #9

I think that is one of the best tips I've had in awhile.

------
It's the best I've found for keeping the black rubber black. The best part, is that it takes a minimum amount of elbow grease!

June 22nd, 2011, 10:32 pm #10

but we will probably never know for sure.

"Customary" to charge the customer for an alignment without asking the customer, and showing them why it might be needed?

It is not uncommon, to hit a curb, and knock the car out of alignment, which would cause the tires to wear unevenly - leaving them thin on the inside or outside edge as a rule. If that was an issue, then an alignment is in order. If the tires were wearing evenly, but just worn out, she didn't need an alignment.

A year or so ago, my car tires needed replaced, when I asked the dealer who was changing my oil about it, he sent me to a specific shop to have it done. I took the car to the shop, they didn't have the specific tire I needed, but 'would order it', then he went out to look at them with me, and said "You need an alignment so they don't wear out again"....... I grew up the granddaughter of a grease monkey, and grease monkey's son, who both taught me a few things about cars... to say the least, I didn't end up buying tires from them, nor did I get an alignment. I also didn't return to the dealer for my oil changes after that, I think they were scratching their buddy's back, and thought I'd share my generosity. (Dh was never with me when I went to have the oil changed, or work done, so he didn't have any idea that I might be a bit wise to their ways.)
I told the guy no on the alignment. Now whether he put the tires on there we bought, I don't know.

Dh talked to someone at the place yesterday and the woman told him they were 80,000 mile tires. Then he tossed it to me with nothing but the brand name of the tires and the price quoted. When dd called after picking the car up, I asked her what tires were on there and then I looked them up online and they are 40,000 mile tires.

I stand corrected. Dh said the tires our local guy had were 80,000 mile.

------
Last edited by TxNet on June 23rd, 2011, 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.