bread question

bread question

March 22nd, 2011, 7:27 pm #1

I'm trying a new oatmeal molasses bread today and the recipe said to slash slits in the top of the loaves right before baking. This is supposed to allow it to raise more in the oven or prevent the top from cracking unattractively. Well, I slit the loaves and they fell from high ovals into oval puddles. Yikes! Does anyone make bread where you slit the top before baking? I'm wondering if I made the dough too loose to need the slits or something.

I think I'd rather have unattractive cracks in the top than oval puddles!

March 22nd, 2011, 8:11 pm #2

Unless it's that particular kind of bread. Do you do it after the dough has risen and the outside is a little drier than the inside? I don't make a lot of bread these days.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

March 22nd, 2011, 8:19 pm #3

Well, I took it out of the oven and it didn't raise as much as I had hoped, but it's still quite good only slightly denser than I wanted. It looks rather *rustic*, I guess you would say.

You're supposed to do it right before it goes in the oven. The outside doesn't get dry because it's covered with plastic wrap the whole time. I've crossed out that instruction in my book and next time I'll just put it in as is. Live and learn.

March 22nd, 2011, 9:53 pm #4

I have done it, and decided to pass in the future! LOL..
needs Very sharp knife and a fast slit that does not cause it to deflate? I have no clue other than checking to see if you can find an example on youtube.
I'm content with the natural cracks.

Myra in West Texas

March 22nd, 2011, 9:59 pm #5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVSh0iLiAos

and this one says if it flattened, it was allowed to "stay too long" whatever he means by that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FpB1tnerao

Myra in West Texas

March 23rd, 2011, 3:13 pm #6

Thanks for the videos. I suspect I may have let it overrise. It was delicious anyway and everyone liked it, so I'll definitely make it again and skip that step.

March 23rd, 2011, 6:43 pm #7

I'm trying a new oatmeal molasses bread today and the recipe said to slash slits in the top of the loaves right before baking. This is supposed to allow it to raise more in the oven or prevent the top from cracking unattractively. Well, I slit the loaves and they fell from high ovals into oval puddles. Yikes! Does anyone make bread where you slit the top before baking? I'm wondering if I made the dough too loose to need the slits or something.

I used to slit french bread when I worked in the bakery and even though I did it everyday sometimes it made the bread fall a bit.

March 24th, 2011, 7:37 pm #8

Even if it did fall, those flavors probably made a heck of a loaf. What did you serve it with?

March 25th, 2011, 2:22 am #9

We really liked it. It had a very slight molasses flavor, enough to sweeten it but not overpower it. We finished the rest as toast this morning. The recipe is in the Joy of Cooking.

We had it with corned beef, boiled potatoes and steamed cabbage. I haven't been out shopping at all since before St. Patrick's Day to pick up a cabbage to go with the corned beef so when dh brought one home I finally got around to making it Tuesday. I know you don't care for it, but we all loved it. I was surprised that ds liked both the beef and the cabbage. He's not a picky eater, but I didn't really expect him to go for it.