Why, Indeed?

Why, Indeed?

Bob
Bob

June 8th, 2006, 12:00 am #1

Nat

June 8th, 2006, 2:17 am #2

Yep Yep Yep! Couldn't agree more.

I don't think there is any business I call these days that doesn't ask this!

tgobg
tgobg

June 9th, 2006, 2:53 am #3

you would prefer to have to push 2 ?

Marseil
Marseil

June 9th, 2006, 6:43 am #4

Would you be happier to press:
1 for Iroquoian
2 for Chinookan
3 for Yuman-Cochimi
4 for Sioux
5 for Natchez
6 for Zuni
etc....

Marseil

peter
peter

June 9th, 2006, 11:09 am #5

I personaly think that the messeges should be in english, period. If there has to be a choice for spanish it should be the option needing a button.

SHADOW
SHADOW

June 9th, 2006, 12:26 pm #6

Would you be happier to press:
1 for Iroquoian
2 for Chinookan
3 for Yuman-Cochimi
4 for Sioux
5 for Natchez
6 for Zuni
etc....

Marseil
Well it does seem like that would make more sense, doesn't it? But what doesn't make sense is that the phone message assumes that the call will be in Spanish, and you must press the option for English. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Or do we have a majority population of Spanish speakers in this country now? Do they make up the majority?

Nat

June 9th, 2006, 2:57 pm #7

I was just working on my spanish version of Potpourri- but I've hit a major snag- I can't find a español equivalent for "potpourri". So I guess we will have to stick with english here until el presidente Vicente Fox declairs english is obsolete and may no longer be used.

SHADOW
SHADOW

June 9th, 2006, 3:09 pm #8

Isn't the word Potpourri French? If I recall, so are a lot of words we use in English. So maybe we are already doing what Marseil says we should...speaking multiple languages all at once, simultaneously. We could call it Frenglish maybe. Or is that Fransiglish?

Nat

June 9th, 2006, 5:33 pm #9

Well all I know is that "potpourri" is not in my english-to-spanish dictionary.

But you know there are many foreign words that we use in english. And many of them are french- brassiere, déjà-vu, mannequin, laissez-faire, passe, just to name a few- which is ironic since the French are very fussy about allowing foreign words (especially english) into their language.

There are also many spanish words in english- patio, plaza, taxi, garage, mosquito, vista, etc. English is notorious for borrowing words from other languages.

SHADOW
SHADOW

June 9th, 2006, 5:54 pm #10

Yep! That is why I pointed out that we are already speaking a multi lingual tongue. We have the ultimate mish mash language. So it should be no surprise to anyone that we feel English should be THE international language! Right? Sounds good to me!