Who Ya Votin 4?

Who Ya Votin 4?

Bob
Bob

April 14th, 2008, 1:45 am #1

Some choice!!!

Nat

April 14th, 2008, 2:16 am #2

Looks like McCain is getting the worse of this deal!

Marseil
Marseil

April 14th, 2008, 2:37 am #3

I know Americans are pretty open about who they vote for.

The French would never even dare ask such a questions. Vote is secret, and everyone in France considers it is best kept secret. So this question is generally not asked. Sometimes, however, it may be debated between very close friends. This does not prevent the French from expressing opinions about public affairs, ad about their politicians (and others' too).

Marseil.

Nat

April 14th, 2008, 4:33 am #4

Yes, I think most Americans are pretty open about who they support. I've never made a secret of it- as anyone who has read my posts on the net for the past 15 years would know. But I must say I'm rather conflicted this year, I think both Hilliary and Obama have good and bad points, and McCain is the only Republican I actually like- except for his position on the war. In any case any of these would be a huge improvement over the current White House occupant who I never trusted from day one- and with good reason as it turns out.

Bob
Bob

April 14th, 2008, 5:09 pm #5

I know Americans are pretty open about who they vote for.

The French would never even dare ask such a questions. Vote is secret, and everyone in France considers it is best kept secret. So this question is generally not asked. Sometimes, however, it may be debated between very close friends. This does not prevent the French from expressing opinions about public affairs, ad about their politicians (and others' too).

Marseil.
That is what it was for me. I wasn't so much asking who people planned to vote for as I was saying, "With choices like these, what does our vote matter?" Yes, I think this photo is an apt description: The Three Stooges indeed!

Nat

April 15th, 2008, 12:37 am #6

So what's your problem with McCain, Bob?
I would think he's pretty compatible with your views.

Bob
Bob

April 15th, 2008, 5:07 pm #7

First, there was the (essentially) amnesty bill for illegal aliens he co-sponsored, which ensures a path to legal residence for illegals ahead of those that have patiently waited to legally enter our country. Of course, most of the Presidential candadiates this year (including the 3 still standing) are soft on illegal immigration, which I think will be to the great detriment of our country (e.g., Anyone hear the NPR report yesterday about Prince William Sound, VA? Even trying to ENFORCE existing law with regard to illegals gets harder all the time).

Second, there's the "If it takes 100 years" of American occupation of Iraq, so be it. Well, I don't want to spend any more time in Iraq than absolutely necessary . . certainly not several, or 100, years.

Third, neither McCain nor any other candidate is going to do much to reverse the out-sourcing of American jobs overseas, the vast national debt or the burgeoning financial woes of Americans. Regardless which of these three gets elected, expect the devaluation of the dollar to continue and expect inflation to be out of control. The country does not have the means to finance universal health care unless health care for all is rationed, or to adequately fund education without even greater mediocrity of education nationwide.

As I see it, no major politician or political party has the WILL to prevent the U.S. from evolving into a third world country, drowning in debt and under domination by the next lone superpower, Communist China. The wealthy will grab every asset they can while our country slumps into despair.

As my father told me 20+ years ago, "I'm glad I won't be alive to see what becomes of this country. But, you will, and your children will."

Nat

April 15th, 2008, 6:34 pm #8

Well you have valid points. I was thinking more about McCain's likability than his positions. He seems like a guy who would make a good friend or neighbor. Most Republican politicians impress me as people I don't even want to be in the same room with.

And your dad was a smart man. You know from my previous posts I've been saying this for years. And I see nothing that's going to change this now no matter who is elected. Too many of our problems have become institutionalized. Too many factories have closed. Too many good jobs have left the country. Too much debt both public and private. There is no way we can compete in today's global economy without lowering our standard of living. Today's young people are in for tough times.

Brandon
Brandon

April 16th, 2008, 2:24 am #9

You may disagree with McCain on some issues, but you have to always remember that either McCain or Obama is going to be the next president.

So you better choose the one you find the least offensive.

Hopefully, that will be John McCain.

Bob
Bob

April 16th, 2008, 2:29 am #10

when he heard I might not vote, urged me to vote for the least undesirable candidate rather than not voting. In his case, he also hopes that is McCain.

I have several months to decide. If Clinton were the Democratic nominee, I'd have no problem voting againsty her. But, between Obama and McCaimn, I'd like the option, "None of the above"