Who says?

Who says?

April 24th, 2004, 10:31 pm #1

Yesterday Peter and I went to have coffee. There we ran into one of the ladies who used to go to the gym where we went. She hadn’t been in awhile and asked us how it was. We told her we had bought our own equipment because the gym was too crowded with the New Year Resolution people.

She said she wanted to go back, but now we were into the Get In To Bikini Shape crowd. I said yes that was probably true. I understood it though because I wanted to look good in my bikini as well.

She said, “Oh no! Leave that for the twenties crowd. We are well past bikinis. We have had our twenties!”

Just as she was saying this, she was also leaving the coffee shop, and I didn’t have the chance to respond in my usual blunt, in your face fashion. It’s too bad.

I want to know…Who says only twenty year olds get to wear bikinis?
Why do women get to a certain age and think they have to cut their hair short?
Why do we have to fit into age specific categories where the age dictates the behavior? Is there a rule book somewhere that I missed? (don’t tell me, I wouldn’t follow it anyway).

Mona
Mona

April 25th, 2004, 12:16 am #2

I agree with you that those "rules" are screwy. I think they are just for the women who WANT to follow stupid rules. With the encouragement of my husband, I have always worn a bikini and the tops have gotten smaller, not larger. Think about it, the fuller "old lady suits" do not cover the fact that our bodies are not perfect anymore (mine never was), it only shows that we don't have any confidence. Although I like to go topless as much as possible, when I have to wear a top, my rule is that it must be comfortable and that I must not jiggle out of it too often. I just got a new small sheer lime green triangle top and tonight I have been wearing it around the house to make sure I can stay in it most of the time. I think I'm ready to go to the local lake now.

April 25th, 2004, 3:14 am #3

Yay! I had too just gotten a new orange bikini with a triangle top. The great thing about this one is that the strings are stretchy, so it doesn't cut in like most bikini tops do. Now all I need is the sun! Where is the confounded sun?

Ron
Ron

April 25th, 2004, 11:18 am #4

i agree with both of u ladies regarding wearing bikinis. there are alot of women in their 40's that look better in a bikini than alot of 18 yr olds. if u 2 don't mind, i was just wondering what your ages are. sounds like u both bought nice looking bikinis. but mona, if your top is sheer why would it matter if u jiggled out of it? lol

Cindiee
Cindiee

April 25th, 2004, 1:14 pm #5

Yesterday Peter and I went to have coffee. There we ran into one of the ladies who used to go to the gym where we went. She hadn’t been in awhile and asked us how it was. We told her we had bought our own equipment because the gym was too crowded with the New Year Resolution people.

She said she wanted to go back, but now we were into the Get In To Bikini Shape crowd. I said yes that was probably true. I understood it though because I wanted to look good in my bikini as well.

She said, “Oh no! Leave that for the twenties crowd. We are well past bikinis. We have had our twenties!”

Just as she was saying this, she was also leaving the coffee shop, and I didn’t have the chance to respond in my usual blunt, in your face fashion. It’s too bad.

Why do we have to fit into age specific categories where the age dictates the behavior? Is there a rule book somewhere that I missed? (don’t tell me, I wouldn’t follow it anyway).
Michaela,
I still wear bikinis, but not as often as I used to when I was younger. I am 55 now.
I have smaller breasts, 32b and so there is not much to hold up or to swiggle (as one poster mentioned). Certainly never run the risk of popping out.
Thom likes me to wear them, I feel comfortable with it and nobody told me otherwise.
Cindiee

April 25th, 2004, 2:00 pm #6

I never buy bikini tops. The tops won't enhance what I (don't) have ( If I cannot be topfree, then forget it... I like to wear short silk boxer shorts on the beach or the tan-thru bottoms. I have quite a collection of them. And I am over 50.

Yesterday, it was a nice and sunny day... not extremely warm, but warm enough to go around in a tshirt. I went to the grocery store, and I would say almost 100 % of the women wear bras - but this one ). I did not see anyone that looked natural, but then I was not looking at everyone chest either!!! LOL.

Nippleodeon

April 25th, 2004, 3:54 pm #7

I can usually not tell for sure if a woman has a bra on unless I see her back. That is where the evidence of cutting straps shows up.

Peter and I were talking about the so called rules of age appropriate attire. We both think that people aren't getting enough, if any exercise. The rules allow women to cover up the fact that they may spend too much time sitting at their desk and not enough time on their feet running around.

It could be that we have all given ourselves permission with these rules to let ourselves go to pot. It's part of the natural aging process, we say, and so grant permission to be lazy. Maybe there isn't anything natural about it. If we remain active, maybe we wouldn't age as fast as we seem to be. Who know's? I intend to find out. I am my own guinea pig.

I am forty four, btw.

Melissa
Melissa

April 25th, 2004, 4:10 pm #8

I totally agree with all of you. I'm only 23 but I have every intention of wearing bikinis and monokinis (if that's a word) for the rest of my life.

It kind of reminds me of those TV talk shows that always do "you don't dress right for whatever reason so here's a makeover" one day they will have 16 year old girls in short skirts and halter tops with no bra who everyone tells are too young to show that much skin. Than the next day they will have 30+ year old moms wearing the same stuff and everyone tells them they are too old and should be more mature and cover up more. I've always wanted one of them to point out that by the standards that they use you only get a small window in which to be comfortable or sexy. It starts when you are 18 and ends when you have your first kid or turn 30 or gain the freshman 15 (which usually happens at 19.)

Nat

April 25th, 2004, 4:40 pm #9

There's a couple old sayings- "age is a state of mind" and "you are as young as you feel".

In the past I've criticized our "youth obsessed" society- but I criticize those who get their 'youth' in phoney ways- like cosmetic surgery. This is like putting a coat of paint on a rusty old car. You then have is a rusty old car with paint on it.

On the other hand, if you exercise and eat properly to stay in shape- this is real youth- and it will pay off not only in looking good- but living well- and long. So many of our "age-related" diseases- heart disease, diabetes, many cancers come not from age but our diet and life-style.

And if you look good in a biniki then you deserve to wear one- at any age!

April 25th, 2004, 6:44 pm #10

Here is a fun site to kind of show the differences between your chronological age and the age you are because of you lifestyle. For me it gave me a logical explaination as to why Michaela and I are "acting our ages" and get into the drab pigeon holes our peers have entered.

http://www.realage.com

Have fun!