Who's your man, Bob?

Who's your man, Bob?

Nat

October 14th, 2011, 6:43 pm #1

Well the Republican debates have been going on for some time now and I haven't heard any discussion about the candidates here so since I assume you will be voting Republican who of the some 8 contenders are you leaning to?

(And this question goes to anybody else who would like to speak up)
. . . . .

Bob
Bob

October 15th, 2011, 11:18 pm #2

Conservative, yes. But there are very few politicians of any stripe that I can support. Of those I know, Ron Paul would be the closest, but he is not electable. No one who is worth a damn is electable. For such a prominent country, U.S. has some of the worst representation imaginable. The powers that pull the strings in my country, and those who act for them, are really the enemies of Americans. We are purposely divided into warring factions so that no one can challenge the power elite. The global economy, the bankruptcy of America, our eventual subservience to China -- all planned and carried out by the power elite in this country. The die is cast, but before USA goes down, I would love to see the American populace seek out the power elite, hold them down, skin them like rabbits and inflict maximum pain upon them before they die.

Nat

October 16th, 2011, 2:20 am #3

Well I know you've said that but I sure you aren't going to vote for Obama so who does that leave?

Even if there was a third party candidate it would just be a wasted vote. Therefore if you vote at all it would likely be on the the current candidates unless there is a big surprise dark-horse at the convention like Christie or Palin or even Jeb Bush, and it's been decades since something like that has happened.

I agree that none of the current crop are worthy. But as I've said before- anyone who is smart enough to do the job is smart enough not to want the job!
. . . . .

Marseil
Marseil

October 16th, 2011, 8:41 am #4

Conservative, yes. But there are very few politicians of any stripe that I can support. Of those I know, Ron Paul would be the closest, but he is not electable. No one who is worth a damn is electable. For such a prominent country, U.S. has some of the worst representation imaginable. The powers that pull the strings in my country, and those who act for them, are really the enemies of Americans. We are purposely divided into warring factions so that no one can challenge the power elite. The global economy, the bankruptcy of America, our eventual subservience to China -- all planned and carried out by the power elite in this country. The die is cast, but before USA goes down, I would love to see the American populace seek out the power elite, hold them down, skin them like rabbits and inflict maximum pain upon them before they die.
Is this not what the Wall Street movement is asking for?
http://occupywallst.org/

Marseil.

Nat

October 16th, 2011, 2:58 pm #5

Given the way society is today the only thing that surprises me about this "Occupy Wall Street" rebellion is that it has not happen sooner. People have a legitimate gripe when the top 1% of households has 42.7% of the capital wealth of the country while the majority of people work their butts off (if they can even find jobs) just to make ends meet.

There was a great movie called "Network" back in the '70s where a commentator encourage people to rise and say "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore". At the time this movie was hyperbolic and the things Howard Beale ranted about were just beginning to happen. Today that movie is prophetic and so apropos to how things have become.

Money is the power of today more than ever- if you got it- you can quite literately "buy" the laws and regulations from Congress to make you even richer while the people be damned. People had such hope in Obama- foolish hope I knew- that he could change all this but I knew (and posted at the time) that they were going to be sorely disappointed. Our government is so beholden to big money that even a president can't change it. After insurance lobbyists got through with Congress his Healthcare legislation was a piddling of what he promised. Lobbyists totally killed the public-option system Obama has advocated for years- and so it is with Big Oil and Big Media and every other $multibillion industry who has Congress in their back pockets and controls this country to the detriment of its citizens.

The problem is there is no "Howard Beale" today to voice what so many people feel- and unless this movement develops a leader to focus it into a coherent message its not going to accomplish anything.
. . . . .

Bob
Bob

October 17th, 2011, 1:14 pm #6

Is this not what the Wall Street movement is asking for?
http://occupywallst.org/

Marseil.
I think they represent a large majority of Americans who are fed up with this crap of having to be beholden to the rich. We are sick of being told: "Those are the people who create the jobs for everyone else . . if you tax them too much, they will stop hiring . . if you tax them too much, they will leave the country and then U.S. will get nothing." Well, let then leave. Freeze their assets. If all they care about (and it seems so) is the god-almight buck and to hell with their country and countrymen, they aren't worth a damn anyway.

I look at it the opposite way: Instead of the mass of Americans being lucky to have the wealthy to employ them, the wealthy have been too lucky and for too long to have had this economic system and useless government to game and manipulate and amass unreasonable amounts of wealth at the expense of and detriment to the average American citizen.

The big mistake was screwing the middle class. So long as there was a sizable group of people who could own their own houses, buy cars, have an occasional nice vacation, send their kids to college and look forward to a comfortable retirement, the system could abuse and screw over the poor, and those folks did not have the numbers or influence to do anything about it. But now, a large percentage of those good-paying jobs that the middle class used to have were eliminated in out-sourcing and down-sizing, and then the newly-unemployed people were told that their plight was there fault . . "You asked for too much money. Others will work cheaper than you . . . you don't have the requisite skills, or those skills were placed by machines, and you didn't do enough to keep yourself marketable. Here . . go work the fast food and convenience store jobs with low pay and few benefits, and then blame yoyrselves!" Meanwhile, the country's wealth continued to be concentrated in fewer and fewer hands. But you can only have this happen so long until the mass of affected people becomes so great that they rebell against those that inflicted such conditions upon them.

I can only hope that the "Arab Spring" will be followed by the "American Fall".

Bob
Bob

October 18th, 2011, 12:42 pm #7

Well I know you've said that but I sure you aren't going to vote for Obama so who does that leave?

Even if there was a third party candidate it would just be a wasted vote. Therefore if you vote at all it would likely be on the the current candidates unless there is a big surprise dark-horse at the convention like Christie or Palin or even Jeb Bush, and it's been decades since something like that has happened.

I agree that none of the current crop are worthy. But as I've said before- anyone who is smart enough to do the job is smart enough not to want the job!
. . . . .
I've voted in every Presidential election since I could vote in 1976 (almost didn't vote in the 2008 election, but my mother wanted to vote so I figured while I was there . . . ). I could sit this one out in 2012 . . no one excites me, and I don't think any major candidate is going to do what the people want or the country needs. All that ever happens is the Dems and Repubs try to block and defeat each other, and any ensuing legislation is essentially worthless. It seems that America is like an old car sputtering toward a ditch, while two imbeciles try to wrestle the wheel from each other.

Nat

October 18th, 2011, 2:21 pm #8

Well I'm afraid I share your apathy. I think this country is seriously broke- financially and morally- Congress has become non-functional. Old Congressmen will tell you things changed in 1988- Republicans adopted a "us against them" mentality- their only objective became to defeat the Democrats. When they couldn't defeat Clinton in the voting booth- they tried to impeach him! This mindset continues today- since the Republican's took over the House they've done nothing to help the country. Their only goal is to defeat Obama and take over the Senate in 2012- Mitch O'Connell even said that! So they won't support Obama's job bill even though it contains many things they suggested because they want Obama to fail.
. . . . .

October 18th, 2011, 2:51 pm #9

It would be more correct to say that the federal government is running a little short instead of "the country is broke." I don't know about morally. But I agree with you about the republicans and their attitude.

Someone (Maybe Woodie Guthrie) said the difference between this country and the Soviet Union was that in the Soviet Union the government told the corporations what to do. Here the corporations tell the government what to do.

Maybe we could do with a few less new warplanes this year. Lockheed Martin wouldn't like it and heads would fall.

Nat

October 18th, 2011, 3:16 pm #10

Well when I said the "country is broke"- I meant the government and the economy. Didn't mean the people- they are just victims of the situation.

I've hadn't heard the saying- "the difference between this country and the Soviet Union was that in the Soviet Union the government told the corporations what to do. Here the corporations tell the government what to do" but it's a good one- and much too true.

Another old saying is- "first kill all the lawyers"- to that I would add- and all the Washington lobbyists!

This would be a good start to getting things back right.
. . . . .