What's offensive?

What's offensive?

John Bayko
John Bayko

December 10th, 2002, 1:52 am #1

What is it about breast motion that some people find offensive? Here's a thought:

Basically, body fat is generally not attractive to most people. When body parts like thighs or arms jiggle, most people find it ugly, but when it's breasts, generally men find it a turn on (not all, but most - it's a brain wiring thing I think), but many women react the same way to them as any other jiggling body part - they'd just rather not see that.

I'm guessing even women who don't find breasts offensive consider movement something they ignore, if they notice it at all (unless they're the ones experiencing it - having nerve endings in them would be a different perspective than just seeing it happen).

Think there's anything to this thought?

Nat

December 10th, 2002, 3:12 am #2

From what I've heard and read over the years, it does seem a lot of people think breasts should be immobile globes devoid of any motion. This has never made sense to me. It is perfectly normal for breasts to jiggle at the least if not bounce and sway as a woman walks about and no one should find this natural movement objectionable.

But to show it's not sexist, I've heard as many disparaging remarks about the way unconfined male genitals swing and sway so it seems a lot of people just have a general bias against 'uncontrolled movement' of any body parts. I've never understood this, and in fact, I have always found such movement rather interesting to watch.

Melissa
Melissa

December 10th, 2002, 3:55 am #3

That's the problem, it is interenting to watch. The whole thing grows out of the idea that certan body parts are dirty and should be hidden. Something is atracting visual attention to a guy's package like that it must be bad because they believe that such things should be hidden and not drawn attention to..

Pat
Pat

December 10th, 2002, 5:55 am #4

What is it about breast motion that some people find offensive? Here's a thought:

Basically, body fat is generally not attractive to most people. When body parts like thighs or arms jiggle, most people find it ugly, but when it's breasts, generally men find it a turn on (not all, but most - it's a brain wiring thing I think), but many women react the same way to them as any other jiggling body part - they'd just rather not see that.

I'm guessing even women who don't find breasts offensive consider movement something they ignore, if they notice it at all (unless they're the ones experiencing it - having nerve endings in them would be a different perspective than just seeing it happen).

Think there's anything to this thought?
I doubt if most people think of breasts as fat. Some people sway their hips when then walk, even if they are quite thin. My bet is that the breast movement is simply looked at as unusual by most people, and because it is the breasts that are doing it, that makes it taboo in our current conservative society. Of course, the more that women go bra-free, the less unusual it will become. Back during the bra-free 1970s, going brafree might have been easier because most bras back then weren't underwires or sports bras, so there was more natural movement even with a bra. Seeing a little more (or a lot more) wasn't as big of a change as it is now, going from industrial-strength underwires to natural breast movement. If the research of Singer and Grismaijer (authors of "Dressed to Kill")is correct, society is priming itself for an epidemic of breast disease, because bras are more restrictive than ever these days.

John Bayko
John Bayko

January 4th, 2003, 12:04 am #5

"If the research of Singer and Grismaijer (authors of "Dressed to Kill")is correct, society is priming itself for an epidemic of breast disease"

Odd you should say that, breast cancer was called an epidemic as rates were skyrocketing in the 1980s - about 50 years after bras became popular (and when that group hit the age at which breast cancer begins to happen most frequently).