What Do You Think....

What Do You Think....

SHADOW
SHADOW

April 19th, 2006, 5:21 pm #1

How do y'all feel about people committing serious crimes against others still being free to walk about and do whatever they want?

Example: Monday morning in Austin, Texas, a woman cyclist got run over by a car and killed. The driver didn't stop. Has not been caught. It happened in a ritzy area and a busy road. How does a person run over someone and carry on like nothing happened? Do you suppose they are still around? Do you think it haunts them, or not?

I know this is a terrible story...but it is close to home, so to speak, and I think this forum needs a conversation starter!

Nat

April 19th, 2006, 11:04 pm #2

I agree, it often makes no sense. Especially chronic traffic violators seem to get off time and time again. You hear of people being arrested over and over for drunk driving- 5 or 6 times and just get turned back on the street. I think maybe the reason they aren't locked up is that the county makes money from fines and court costs, but if they have to house and feed the guy in jail- it cost the county money.

Bob
Bob

April 19th, 2006, 11:50 pm #3

How do y'all feel about people committing serious crimes against others still being free to walk about and do whatever they want?

Example: Monday morning in Austin, Texas, a woman cyclist got run over by a car and killed. The driver didn't stop. Has not been caught. It happened in a ritzy area and a busy road. How does a person run over someone and carry on like nothing happened? Do you suppose they are still around? Do you think it haunts them, or not?

I know this is a terrible story...but it is close to home, so to speak, and I think this forum needs a conversation starter!
About the guy in Ohio who got probation after sexually-touching a child. The judge . . a Judge Conner . . . has been the subject of outrage for this decision . . including that of Bill O'Reilly on Fox News' The Factor".

Meanwhile . . I saw a story this evening about a 22 y/o female teacher who is being prosecuted for dating an 18 y/o student. The teacher was dating this student before she hired on in February with the school district. As they are both legal adults, she might not have thought she'd get in any trouble. The problem is that the state (can't recall which) has a law forbidding school teachers from dating students, regardless of age. The story noted that the teacher could potentially receive a 44 year sentence!

Of course, the teacher won't get anything close to that . . . I'm guessing she won't spend any significant time behind bars (nor do I think she should). Still, it strikes me bizarre that one person fondles a child and gets probation . . . while a 22 y/o dates an 18 y/o and they're threatening prison. Simply crazy.

SHADOW
SHADOW

April 19th, 2006, 11:54 pm #4

I agree, it often makes no sense. Especially chronic traffic violators seem to get off time and time again. You hear of people being arrested over and over for drunk driving- 5 or 6 times and just get turned back on the street. I think maybe the reason they aren't locked up is that the county makes money from fines and court costs, but if they have to house and feed the guy in jail- it cost the county money.
In this particular case this driver hasn't even been caught or identified yet, which I don't get, on such a busy street.

If that had happened out here where I live, like to me, heaven forbid!!! I could understand them getting away... it's the toolies. But in Austin?

If I tried to break a law, or broke a law, or even thought about breaking a law, they'd just throw away the key.

SHADOW
SHADOW

April 19th, 2006, 11:56 pm #5

About the guy in Ohio who got probation after sexually-touching a child. The judge . . a Judge Conner . . . has been the subject of outrage for this decision . . including that of Bill O'Reilly on Fox News' The Factor".

Meanwhile . . I saw a story this evening about a 22 y/o female teacher who is being prosecuted for dating an 18 y/o student. The teacher was dating this student before she hired on in February with the school district. As they are both legal adults, she might not have thought she'd get in any trouble. The problem is that the state (can't recall which) has a law forbidding school teachers from dating students, regardless of age. The story noted that the teacher could potentially receive a 44 year sentence!

Of course, the teacher won't get anything close to that . . . I'm guessing she won't spend any significant time behind bars (nor do I think she should). Still, it strikes me bizarre that one person fondles a child and gets probation . . . while a 22 y/o dates an 18 y/o and they're threatening prison. Simply crazy.
I hadn't heard, but have read similar stories.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 26th, 2006, 6:44 pm #6

That's unfortunate. Cyclists shouldn't be riding on the road though. Just like cars should not be on bicycle/walking/skating paths.

peter
peter

April 27th, 2006, 1:05 am #7

Actually, they/we should be on the road. They/ we pay taxes for road maintenance and up keep. It is the motorists responsibility to put down the newspaper, put away the coffee and bagel, put make-up back in the purse and hang up the damn phone and DRIVE. Then these little accidents wouldn't occur! hmmmm?

SHADOW
SHADOW

April 27th, 2006, 1:35 am #8

That's unfortunate. Cyclists shouldn't be riding on the road though. Just like cars should not be on bicycle/walking/skating paths.
I agree with Peter. And to you, Anonymous, I ask...what bike paths? This isn't Holland. We don't have bike paths.

Nat

April 27th, 2006, 1:42 am #9

Thats fine except there are many places where just aren't any bicycle/walking/skating paths. You ride on the road or you don't ride at all.

That's the way it is around here. Years ago there wasn't much traffic I rode a lot but I've given up bike riding because now theres too much traffic and I don't feel safe the way cars come wizzing by.

SHADOW
SHADOW

April 27th, 2006, 12:40 pm #10

We have such a strong bike culture here in Texas that we passed a law just this year to help protect the rights of cyclist on the roads. Cars are to give cyclist at least three feet of room and if they 'buzz' cyclist, and are caught doing it, they get ticketed. Cyclist are to obey all traffic laws, as always, and motorist are to respect the safety of cyclists, as all others on the road.

I have heard motorists make the comment that if a bike is on the road and a car is comming the other way that they will hit the cyclist rather than move over and get in a wreck with a car. That, in my opinion, is the dumbest thing I've heard on the subject! That is why cars come equipped with a brake pedal! And that is just the problem. Motorist, somehow, have got into their heads that they don't have to be put out by anything. They are aggressive and want to go when they want to go, damn it all! Instead of slowing down and being careful when they need to be they get mad. It is called road rage. When anyone tells me that cyclists shouldn't be on the road I always ask why they think that way. Obviously there are places cyclist should not go, like Interstates and total freeways.

I have actually been told by a motorist that he would hit the cyclist. Psycho!