What Do Y'all Think Of This?

What Do Y'all Think Of This?

SHADOW
SHADOW

April 24th, 2006, 7:18 pm #1

Gas Solution - Boycott ExxonMobil
GAS WAR - an idea that WILL work!!!!!!!

This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. It's worth your consideration.

Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $ 4.00 a gallon by next summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action. Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea. This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read on and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.79 for regular unleaded in my town and going up. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace, not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How?

Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force! a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers.

If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each! , then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it g! oes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all! (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

Nat

April 24th, 2006, 10:30 pm #2

Well I haven't bought gas from either Exxon or Mobil for years anyway. Being the cheap bastard that I am I always buy the cheaper off-brand stuff. My stupid car don't know the difference. And I don't think there is much difference- ultimately it probably comes from Exxon/Mobil anyway. They control almost all the refineries. How the government let these two hugh companies to merge in the first place beats the hell out of me. But that's true all about every merger these days. Our anti-trust laws are a joke!

I think the only thing that's going to work is to REALLY start conserving- that means driving smaller cars, driving no more than necessary- make one big multi-purpose trip- stop driving to the store every day to buy a few things. Start taking public transportation where possible, and find jobs closer to home (or homes closer to jobs) to stop the ridiculously long commutes so many people make.

Bob
Bob

April 25th, 2006, 12:31 am #3

This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. It's worth your consideration.

Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $ 4.00 a gallon by next summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action. Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea. This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read on and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.79 for regular unleaded in my town and going up. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace, not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How?

Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force! a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers.

If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each! , then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it g! oes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all! (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.
As Nat alluded too . . how can we know that Exxon/Mobil is not supplying gasoline to the off-brand stations we patronize? In my area, there aren't any Exxon stations anymore . . and very few Mobil stations. There is BP (and I like patronizing the British!), Shell (which I believe is Dutch), Sunoco, Marathon, and the discount places SuperAmerica and Speedway. In addition, some Meijer stores sell gas here, some United Dairy Farmer stores, and the Kroger grocery store chain sells gas in a few locations. I take it that I could start patronizing BP and Shell, and maybe could avoid Exxon/Mobil. But is that even true? I've heard that there are only a few huge oil companies that produce cruide oil and gasoline, and they sell it between themselves as well as to smaller providers. It would help to have a definitive list: "These outlets sell Exxon/Mobil products, and these do not."

When the Iraq invasion started, some groups put out a list of French products that Americans could boycott. With all the mergers and acquisitions, I was surprised at many of the American-sounding companies (like Red Roof Inns and BF Goodrich tires) that are French-owned. We need the same list for gasoline.

Nat

April 25th, 2006, 12:59 am #4

Not long ago I was wailing here (or maybe another forum) about how American is being sold out- a hugh amount of our commerce is now owned or controlled by foreign companies. "Globalization" is the buzz word- but what it really means is selling off our assets to foreigners. Need I remind you about the recent port-deal? That's just the tip of the iceberg! We use to sell American goods to foreigners- now we are just selling America to foreigners.

Nat

April 25th, 2006, 1:10 am #5

By the way, unlike '73-74 when the shortages were contrived (but which nevertheless had long reaching permanent effects on the US economy) I think there are going to be a for-real oil shortage soon- China's industrialization is sucking up hugh amounts of oil (and many other commodities) off the world market and oil reserves really are running out. There is only so-much pumpable oil in the ground. I think this going to mean real and permanent changes in the US economy and the way we do things. I've already begun shifting my investments accordingly.

John Bayko
John Bayko

April 25th, 2006, 2:54 am #6

As Nat alluded too . . how can we know that Exxon/Mobil is not supplying gasoline to the off-brand stations we patronize? In my area, there aren't any Exxon stations anymore . . and very few Mobil stations. There is BP (and I like patronizing the British!), Shell (which I believe is Dutch), Sunoco, Marathon, and the discount places SuperAmerica and Speedway. In addition, some Meijer stores sell gas here, some United Dairy Farmer stores, and the Kroger grocery store chain sells gas in a few locations. I take it that I could start patronizing BP and Shell, and maybe could avoid Exxon/Mobil. But is that even true? I've heard that there are only a few huge oil companies that produce cruide oil and gasoline, and they sell it between themselves as well as to smaller providers. It would help to have a definitive list: "These outlets sell Exxon/Mobil products, and these do not."

When the Iraq invasion started, some groups put out a list of French products that Americans could boycott. With all the mergers and acquisitions, I was surprised at many of the American-sounding companies (like Red Roof Inns and BF Goodrich tires) that are French-owned. We need the same list for gasoline.
I like the word "Fungible". It's an economics term which refers to a good that's completely interchangable. Oil is a fungible commodity.

Remember there is a complete separation between the retail gas stations, and the refinery operations. Typically, a given refinery supplies all stations in it's area simply because it's too expensive to transport refined fuel further than you have to. Exxon's refinery will supply Shell, BP, Joe's Gas And Grill, and so on in one area, and Exxon stations outside of that area will buy gas from the nearest Shell refinery, and so on. To do otherwise would cost more, and eat into profits. There is some overlap in refinery areas.

Typically, each brand has a bucket of additives that are dumped into the truck when it fills up at the refinery - that's the "value added" part that's supposed to make you want one brand over another. Detergents to reduce carbon buildup or prevent gas line freezing. No-name companies don't add anything.

Stations also are owned by franchise owners. The oil companies make some money off the supply arrangements and franchise fees (in return for advertising, and promotional benefits like "points"), but the big oil companies probably won't notice it much if a particular brand of stations are boycotted - it will be the franchise owners who suffer. They may switch to a different franchise, or just close down and sell to another owner working for a different franchise. Maybe they'll add a Krispy Kreme outlet and get people to get gas while they're there.

Soft drink bottlers are often the same. Coke-affiliated bottlers will often bottle Pepsi or 7-Up products in some areas, while Pepsi bottlers do the same for Coke. They just get trucks of syrup, add the standard water and carbonation, and fill whatever bottles go with whatever formula is being processed that hour.

Marseil
Marseil

April 25th, 2006, 3:22 pm #7

By the way, unlike '73-74 when the shortages were contrived (but which nevertheless had long reaching permanent effects on the US economy) I think there are going to be a for-real oil shortage soon- China's industrialization is sucking up hugh amounts of oil (and many other commodities) off the world market and oil reserves really are running out. There is only so-much pumpable oil in the ground. I think this going to mean real and permanent changes in the US economy and the way we do things. I've already begun shifting my investments accordingly.
Do you think it will only affect the US economy? The world economy is gonna change with the coming oil shortage.

Marseil.

Marseil
Marseil

April 25th, 2006, 3:36 pm #8

Well I haven't bought gas from either Exxon or Mobil for years anyway. Being the cheap bastard that I am I always buy the cheaper off-brand stuff. My stupid car don't know the difference. And I don't think there is much difference- ultimately it probably comes from Exxon/Mobil anyway. They control almost all the refineries. How the government let these two hugh companies to merge in the first place beats the hell out of me. But that's true all about every merger these days. Our anti-trust laws are a joke!

I think the only thing that's going to work is to REALLY start conserving- that means driving smaller cars, driving no more than necessary- make one big multi-purpose trip- stop driving to the store every day to buy a few things. Start taking public transportation where possible, and find jobs closer to home (or homes closer to jobs) to stop the ridiculously long commutes so many people make.
Very true, Nat....

But you could also add:
. pressure governments to increase the public transportation offer
. rely on video conferences and other communication means rather than physical travel
. work from home
. reduce unnecessary trips (tourism, ...)
. don't fly

And as transport is not the only factor:
. reduce heating in winter
. stop using air conditioning in summer
. use more recyclable products rather than oil-chemistry based products
. take into account the real energy consumption cost when buying a product
. ensure that every product we buy only has a minimum of packing
. don't use plastic bags
. pressure governemnts to develop new sources of energy

And a lot more !

Marseil.

Nat

April 25th, 2006, 4:16 pm #9

Oh yes, there is so much more- I was just beginning. We Americans are the world's energy hogs. We heat our homes toasty warm in winter, cooled them ice-box cold in summer, waste countless kilowatts on unnecessary decorative lighting, drive 2-ton SUVs to the corner store for a bag of groceries, and on and on. We only need to compare this with how the rest of the world does, or even how we did a couple generations ago, to see how much could be done.

But as I said in another post, things will be changing- this gluttony can not continue and I think five years from now conservation is going to be on everyone's minds. And not only will this be good for conservation, but if we can wean ourselves of our dependance on foreign oil, it will solve a lot of international problems we have now- particularly in the Middle East.

Nat

April 25th, 2006, 4:24 pm #10

Do you think it will only affect the US economy? The world economy is gonna change with the coming oil shortage.

Marseil.
Yes Marseil, it will effect everyone but I think Americans will feel it most because we are the world's energy gluttons with the highest per-capital energy consumption in the world. Many Americans spend a hour in their car every day just driving to and from work. This is crazy.