Cool beans boi
Cool beans boi

May 3rd, 2010, 10:43 pm #1

Some BIG New stories this past weekend.

1. The oil spill in the Gulf
2. 17 inches of rain in Tennessee
3. Car bomb found is Times Square

WOW, may we all live in interesting times

On number 1... I wonder how the drill baby drill crowd will feel once this oil hits the Redneck Riveria.

2. Let's all have good wishes for the people of Tennessee and the midwest that the damage is not too bad. I heard they actually had an evacuation plan for the Kentucky Derby just in case a tornado struck.

3. A bomb in Times Square on an 80 degree Saturday night could have been a tragedy. Let's all hope they catch this clown soon. Times Square has over 80 cameras so the law will catch him.

On a side note, one of our PBS stations runs cameras all over the city on the digital 2 frequency...On Saturday as the Nissan was being investigated, the cameras were shut off. I guess the police were already checking the tapes.

Thousands of tourists were kept from their hotels until the wee hours of the morning. One family I saw on MSNBC had a 9 year old child with them. I understand someone in the area saw the broadcast and offered them lodging.

WOW what a weekend!!

Nat

May 3rd, 2010, 11:45 pm #2

Yes, "living in interesting times" is often seen as a curse- for the news is almost always bad. At least the NY thing could have been much worse. But wouldn't it be great if we didn't have to spend a fortune just to keep from getting blown up. The weird weather and many earthquakes are also a part of the end-times scenario.

At least the NY bomb threat is over. The consequences of gulf oil leak is just beginning and will be a curse for years. Even though our beaches are hundreds of miles away it is expected water currents will eventually bring the sludge even down here.

By the way- hardly any surveillance cameras record on tape anymore- they record on harddrives. Tape is virtually obsolete in all applications now.

May 4th, 2010, 3:34 pm #3

Have we not always lived in interesting times?

Nat

May 4th, 2010, 6:31 pm #4

Well the news people always find something to talk about- but during the '80s and '90s I don't recall the country facing any serious problems like it does today. We were not fighting foreign wars or worrying about being blown up by terrorists or running huge budget deficits or seeing all our factories close up and move overseas, or losing our competitive position in the world or being overrun by illegal aliens or global warming and so forth. In fact the biggest thing the news media had to talk about during the 1990s was Bill Clinton's sex life.

May 4th, 2010, 7:01 pm #5

Don't remember the '80s, eh? Unemployment hit 10.8%, there was the stock market crash of 1987, there was the S&L crisis, the national debt went from 700 billion to 3 trillion (I don't even know how much a trillion is), there was a disaster in Lebanon when a bomber blew up a barracks and killed 241 US servicemen, Grenada was invaded, the first space shuttle blue up, and not much else happened.

Nat

May 4th, 2010, 7:49 pm #6

None of those things match what we are dealing with today- the unemployment peak was short-lived while many experts think our unemployment today will remain high indefinitely because we have lost so many jobs to overseas. We hardly make anything in this country anymore. The S&L "crisis" back then effected few people compared to millions who have lost their homes now. 3 trillion national debt?- hell- it's almost 13-trillion now- and rising! It was falling during Clinton's administration! And even before the latest stock market crash NASDAQ never reached the levels it was when Clinton was president. And you compare 241 servicemen in Lebanon with THOUSANDS killed in Iraq and Afghanistan?- not to mention many more thousands on 9/11- there is no comparison!

May 4th, 2010, 8:06 pm #7

What do you think the next decade will bring? Given all that is happening with leaking oil wells, hurricanes, volcanos, and I don't know what all, do you think we should try human sacrifice?

Nat

May 4th, 2010, 8:40 pm #8

No, I don't believe human sacrifice will help but I am pessimistic about the future. I think the USA is in the decline that eventually happens to all great countries and the young people today will be the first generation to have a lower standard of living than their parents. I'm glad I'm ending my career and not a young person starting out because they are going to have it a lot harder than I did.

Brandon
Brandon

May 5th, 2010, 2:52 pm #9

Perhaps if we started electing candidates to Congress and to the Presidency that were brave enough to tackle these problems and understood how economics work than we could avoid this declining standard of living.

This quote has been going around the internet and no one seems to know who actually wrote it, but it says exactly why America is in decline:

"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of
entrusting a man like him with the presidency. It will be easier to
limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the
necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate
willing to have such a man for their president.

The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is
a mere symptom of what ails us. Blaming the prince of the fools should
not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their
prince.

The republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a
fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those
who made him their president."

May 5th, 2010, 2:59 pm #10

So you're saying that we are our own greatest danger? Or rather, do you mean that all American voters (except yourself) are their own worst enemies? And are you implying by that that we shouldn't be allowed to vote for whoever pleases us because that's too risky?