Well in the last election did

Well in the last election did

Marv
Marv

November 15th, 2006, 2:34 pm #1

With the Democrates taking over did the women win or lose as far as topfreedom and other issues, as far as the Iraq women I think they lost, they will be back in their barquas [not spelled right] in no time

Nat

November 15th, 2006, 4:37 pm #2

Well I don't expect expect we will see women's topfreedom common anytime soon, but it's certainly more likely to happen with Democrats than Republicans. After all, Republicans are so prudish that Ashcroff had a topfree statue covered!!!

shadow
shadow

November 16th, 2006, 2:17 am #3

With the Democrates taking over did the women win or lose as far as topfreedom and other issues, as far as the Iraq women I think they lost, they will be back in their barquas [not spelled right] in no time
Don't y'all think that if the women of Iraq want out of their burqas they should take them off and fight for their own freedom? I know we are talking life and death here...but all the more reason for the women there to fight...kill if necessary! If they want it badly enough.

tgobg
tgobg

November 16th, 2006, 4:59 am #4

I read somewhere that the women are actually quite daring under the burka with stuff from victoria secret and designer clothes and very fashionable garments. The kicker is no one knows about it because they arent allowed to see it unless you are an immediate family member.
While i dont like the fact that the women have to cover themselves, until the men over there get it through their heads that a woman is not property and they cannot rape any female they see because she is not wearing a burka, the women are probably safer covered up.

Nat

November 16th, 2006, 1:01 pm #5

Don't y'all think that if the women of Iraq want out of their burqas they should take them off and fight for their own freedom? I know we are talking life and death here...but all the more reason for the women there to fight...kill if necessary! If they want it badly enough.
Burqas (burkahs?) are such an engrained part of Muslim culture. It's hard for us here in America to understand how women can be so wedded to wearing a certain garment! But asking Muslim women to give up burqas would be like asking American women to give up bras! Now how's that for an BFF analogy?

Bob
Bob

November 16th, 2006, 6:29 pm #6

Bras are like underwear . . Burkahs are like hoods that cover the entire face. I think there is a big difference between saying people should wear underwear and saying they should cover their faces with hoods.

Nat

November 16th, 2006, 7:08 pm #7

It depends on the culture- To Muslins, a bare-faced woman is considered as inappropriate as a bare-breasted woman is in our culture.

Marseil
Marseil

November 16th, 2006, 9:00 pm #8

Aren't you confusing with Iran?

In Iraq, it is interesting to notice that Saddam Hussein regime was totally non religious. It is only since he is not in power any more that there has been so much religion poured in the Iraqui society, with its consequences, as women wearing scarves, and sometimes completley covered. The Baas party which Saddam Hussein belonged too was non-religious, the creators of the party were chistians and muslims. The Baas was nationalist, and pan-arabic, but definitely not religious.

During the first years of Saddam Hussein regime in the 1970's, the regime pushed for industrialization and economic development of the country, and education for all, and gave equal rights to women. In 1973, school became mandoatory, free and non religious for boys and girls. In 1977, 70% of pharmacists and 46% of dentists were women.

Then since the 1980's, he turend into a dictator, killing massively ethnic minorities (especially the Kurds) and potltical opponents. Don't forget Saddam Hussein was supported by western powers in the Iran - Iraq war 1980 - 1988.

Iraaq is far from being the worst place for women. Iran since the islamic revolution in 1979 is a lot worse.

Marseil.

Marseil
Marseil

November 16th, 2006, 9:16 pm #9

Burqas (burkahs?) are such an engrained part of Muslim culture. It's hard for us here in America to understand how women can be so wedded to wearing a certain garment! But asking Muslim women to give up burqas would be like asking American women to give up bras! Now how's that for an BFF analogy?
"Burqas (burkahs?) are such an engrained part of Muslim culture."

Burqas are definitely not part of all muslim culture. Please have in mind the #1 muslim country by the population is Indonesia. You will see no one wearing a burqa in there, although most of the Indonesian muslim women wear a scarf on their hair.

The #2 country by its muslim population is Pakistan were the burqa is worn by some women....

In Arabic countries, such as Saudi Arabia, or Yemen, women also wear dresses covering them completly head to toes, including, at least partly, their face, but, apparently, it is called a niqab.

And also think of the muslim women in West Africa, who also generally wear some sort of fabric on their hair, but can at the same time be bare chest.

This subject is far more complex taht it appears initally.

Marseil.

Nat

November 16th, 2006, 10:22 pm #10

OK Marseil, I stand corrected. burqas are ingrained into some Muslin cultures.