Weekly Question 9/15/2002

Weekly Question 9/15/2002

Anudist
Anudist

September 14th, 2002, 4:27 pm #1

Here is the weekly question:

There has been a lot of talk here lately about Bras at work.

Can anyone make a case for where a Bra could be required? I am sure that almost anyone could come up with examples where a bra would NOT be required but where is a bra "appropriate"?

Also, as a small sideline:

What is YOUR companies dress code and how does it address this issue? What does it say about wearing or not wearing of undergarments?

Nat

September 14th, 2002, 5:26 pm #2

I think the simple test is- is the lack of a bra effecting an employee's outward appearance? If no, then it should not be an issue. But if an employer can tell by looking that an employee is not wearing a bra than obviously it is effecting the outward appearance and is in the whelm of the dress code.

I can not remember working anywhere that didn't have rules regarding appearance and dress. Granted they are not very specific, but this gives the employer the latitude to interrupt them as he sees fit. And while an employee may litigate the issue in court, it's likely to cost her far more than she would gain.

Dawn
Dawn

September 14th, 2002, 7:59 pm #3

Can anyone make a case for where a Bra could be required? I am sure that almost anyone could come up with examples where a bra would NOT be required but where is a bra "appropriate"?

What is YOUR companies dress code and how does it address this issue? What does it say about wearing or not wearing of undergarments?
Well, glad to see the forum is going again. Got a little slow for a while. I've had only one work 'experience' since college has been my main activity, but it was a fast-food restaurant where we wore lose apron-things that very nicely hid my bralessness. I think I would have to think long and hard before taking a job that made me wear a bra. I'll let you know when I have to cope with that problem.

Anudist
Anudist

September 14th, 2002, 8:46 pm #4

I think the simple test is- is the lack of a bra effecting an employee's outward appearance? If no, then it should not be an issue. But if an employer can tell by looking that an employee is not wearing a bra than obviously it is effecting the outward appearance and is in the whelm of the dress code.

I can not remember working anywhere that didn't have rules regarding appearance and dress. Granted they are not very specific, but this gives the employer the latitude to interrupt them as he sees fit. And while an employee may litigate the issue in court, it's likely to cost her far more than she would gain.
The ACLU would "fight" it if "just". Plus may be able to take up in a Union if Unionized at little or not cost to the employee.

However, I think that the companies that have a loose (no pun) intended are most likely to be found against than companies whith strict dress codes. Then again, too strict can also be detrimental.

The question should be: when are dress codes accepatble?

Anudist
Anudist

September 14th, 2002, 8:48 pm #5

Well, glad to see the forum is going again. Got a little slow for a while. I've had only one work 'experience' since college has been my main activity, but it was a fast-food restaurant where we wore lose apron-things that very nicely hid my bralessness. I think I would have to think long and hard before taking a job that made me wear a bra. I'll let you know when I have to cope with that problem.
Did the fast food place have rules pertaining to "appropriate undergarments"? Did its policies have any mention of bralessness?

Anonymous
Anonymous

September 15th, 2002, 6:48 am #6

<i>Can anyone make a case for where a Bra could be required?</i>

If you work a job where you work with the public and the company wants to have a conservative middle-america image a bra would help that image more brafree workers. The resturant where I work (frequently brafree) spells out what kind of pants, shirts, shoes and socks one is required to wear. If they wanted to say all female servers must wear a bra it would fit right in line with the rest of the rules.

Tommie
Tommie

September 15th, 2002, 9:29 am #7

Here's an example of a workplace victory.
A few years ago, when Eurodisney (near Paris, France) started operations, they announced that their workers must wear bras and use deoderant. This created a big public outcry in a land that prides liberty in many ways even more than the USA. As examples, French workers get a minimum of 5 weeks paid vacation the first year on the job, ALL French beaches allow topfreedom, and before the Euro currency, the french 100-franc banknote had a topfree painting on it (by Delacroix).
Here is a quote from an internet article about it:

"Disney is starting the 21st century stung from a spate of bad publicity. A year ago Euro-Disney was on the wrong side of the bra issue, resulting in a
near-collapse of the French government. It seems Disney management insisted female workers at the theme park wear bras. Rather than acting mouse-like and ducking the issue, the French women took it to the press, the courts, and the public, arguing that going bra-less was a cultural artifact and not to be tampered with by the long arms of Americans. Business dropped off so severely that Disney had to relent, stating in a press release that it did not consider bra-less women to be any less moral than those who wore them."

D.K.
D.K.

September 15th, 2002, 5:50 pm #8

This just shows the "need" to wear a bra is rooted in nothing more than cultural bias. How can the same person dressed the same way be moral in one country and immoral in another? Doesn't this illustrate how absurd this whole thing is?

Stacy
Stacy

September 16th, 2002, 2:47 am #9

You know you can get bras that are only half bras or quarter bras that leave most of the breasts- including the nipple bare. But they have straps- and they are bras- so wonder what the boss would say about that?

John Bayko
John Bayko

September 16th, 2002, 7:33 pm #10

"There has been a lot of talk here lately about Bras at work.

Can anyone make a case for where a Bra could be required?"

Lingerie model. But that's probably not what you had in mind.

Competitive swimmer might count, if you consider bikini tops to be like bras, but most wear one piece suits (I understand drag from turbulance would be a problem with exposed breasts, if you're going for speed).