Wedding and Open House

Wedding and Open House

Cindiee
Cindiee

July 6th, 2004, 12:14 pm #1

Hi all,

Now that i found the button to post, here it is.

We went to one wedding over the holidays, and to one open house (casual outdoors gathering)and I have never seen so many women without a bra. It was great.

Wedding. Even though the wedding was in the evening, and semi formal (ties for the guys and nice summer dress or slinkly black dresses for the gals), it was encouraging that so many women did not wear a bra. I know, these slinky black dresses normally do not need a bra to look nice, but for whatever reason, I've seen just more women without a bra, even in regular dresses. Most of the bridesmaids did not wear a bra, due to the type of dress they were wearing. Great time was had with lots of dancing and drinking and eating.

Casual open house. This was an affair in the late afternoon, and in the mid 90's or so, maybe less. It was fairly casual, with mostly summer dresses for the gals and open shirt for the guys. Even some older women had no bra on, and it was pretty recognizable that they were not wearing a bra. Matter of fact, there were two women so obvious, that most of the time their nipples were pertruding thru their tops with nobody saying anything or staring at them.

Maybe there is a new trend or women feel more confident, but I have never seen soo many women without a bra in one weekend and especially younger women at the wedding. Of course, I am used without going a bra and all my friends know and the other day, one of my nieces said, oh yeah, she is liberated. I loved it.

Cindie

July 6th, 2004, 12:30 pm #2

Dear Liberated Cindie,

That is soo encouraging

Michael

Nat

July 6th, 2004, 3:11 pm #3

Hi all,

Now that i found the button to post, here it is.

We went to one wedding over the holidays, and to one open house (casual outdoors gathering)and I have never seen so many women without a bra. It was great.

Wedding. Even though the wedding was in the evening, and semi formal (ties for the guys and nice summer dress or slinkly black dresses for the gals), it was encouraging that so many women did not wear a bra. I know, these slinky black dresses normally do not need a bra to look nice, but for whatever reason, I've seen just more women without a bra, even in regular dresses. Most of the bridesmaids did not wear a bra, due to the type of dress they were wearing. Great time was had with lots of dancing and drinking and eating.

Casual open house. This was an affair in the late afternoon, and in the mid 90's or so, maybe less. It was fairly casual, with mostly summer dresses for the gals and open shirt for the guys. Even some older women had no bra on, and it was pretty recognizable that they were not wearing a bra. Matter of fact, there were two women so obvious, that most of the time their nipples were pertruding thru their tops with nobody saying anything or staring at them.

Maybe there is a new trend or women feel more confident, but I have never seen soo many women without a bra in one weekend and especially younger women at the wedding. Of course, I am used without going a bra and all my friends know and the other day, one of my nieces said, oh yeah, she is liberated. I loved it.

Cindie
Isn't it ironic that many women will go brafree at formal occasions like this but won't for routine casual occasions! Never could figure this.

michaela
michaela

July 6th, 2004, 3:54 pm #4

I know a lot of women so thinking they always have to have that support thing going on, will use those adhesive half bra thingies. I don't know what they are called, help me ladies...those deals you stick on under the breast so you supposedly have support, but no straps or lines to show through formal wear. Those may have been in use, at least by some.

July 6th, 2004, 4:25 pm #5

Yes Michaela, you are right, never fear your 'support' group is here! Here is an example (duct tape a la J Lo is the other):

http://www.brazabra.com/STRAPLESS/brzbra.html

http://www.brazabra.com/index.html

Happy to be of assistance

Michael (honourary lady)
(absolutely no lingerie pictures )

michaela
michaela

July 6th, 2004, 5:21 pm #6

I didn't mean to exclude the men in my request for assistance. I never want to disciminate. Thanks Michael!!!

July 6th, 2004, 5:28 pm #7

I forgot to ask - what shall we advise Jessica Lee to wear at her wedding?

http://jessicaleejernigan.typepad.com/j ... an/fashion/

By the way, meet Jessica:

July 6th, 2004, 8:04 pm #8

Isn't it ironic that many women will go brafree at formal occasions like this but won't for routine casual occasions! Never could figure this.
So true, Nat. I noticed that even at such formal events as my corporate Christmas party, there has always been a healthy contingient of braless women there, and nobody seems to bat an eye. Yet at the office, I'm the only free one as far as I know.

Perhaps it's the fact that alot of formal gowns/dresses don't even give one the option of wearing a bra, unless it's strapless. Even then, alot of outfits are backless, so no bra can be worn.

So I can only conclude that if a bra can't be worn with an outfit, it's considered socially acceptable, but if a bra can be worn with a top and isn't worn, well then that's taboo!

Nat

July 6th, 2004, 8:35 pm #9

I think it's more complicated than that Kath. I see women wearing halters and string-tops all the time with exposed bra straps. I think it more like because these are unique highly structured events, people just accept that "different" rules apply and the no-bra taboo is temporarily waived or suspended.

It's sort of like you are allowed to be nude in a locker room, but not in a lobby. Different rules apply.

July 6th, 2004, 8:41 pm #10

So true, Nat. I noticed that even at such formal events as my corporate Christmas party, there has always been a healthy contingient of braless women there, and nobody seems to bat an eye. Yet at the office, I'm the only free one as far as I know.

Perhaps it's the fact that alot of formal gowns/dresses don't even give one the option of wearing a bra, unless it's strapless. Even then, alot of outfits are backless, so no bra can be worn.

So I can only conclude that if a bra can't be worn with an outfit, it's considered socially acceptable, but if a bra can be worn with a top and isn't worn, well then that's taboo!
Here is another possible angle on this:

"In addition, several designers introduced see-through clothing and in a few instances, such as in Rudi Gernreich's topless bathing costume, nudity was deemed acceptable (on the catwalks at least) as long as the face was fully made-up"