We Won!!!

We Won!!!

michaela
michaela

January 5th, 2004, 7:46 pm #1

In case anyone is interested... We had our meeting today to go over our new revised Employee Handbook.

The line in the dress code part about bra wearing that the administration wanted to change to read undershirts, or under garments because we complained about the bra rule was deleted altogether. That is what I had suggested they do so as to avoid any discrimination complaints, but I never thought they would do it. They deleted it!!! We won!!! One small step...

Nat

January 5th, 2004, 9:31 pm #2

Congratulations Michaela! I would say this isn't a 'small' step at all- it's a very BIG victory for breast freedom and employee's personal rights!

michaela
michaela

January 6th, 2004, 3:21 am #3

Yes, I'm so glad it went this way for our Transportation Handbook. It tells me that the codes in all the district can be changed. If the school tries to bother my next daughter to go without a bra, we know we have already set a standard with our own dress code. When my teenage boy gets hastled for having facial hair, we can try getting that one out too! But in the meantime...I'm very pleased with this victory!

elijah
elijah

January 6th, 2004, 9:11 am #4

i think that the rule that women are supposed to wear bras and (for a lot of the better jobs) it's preferable for guys to be clean shaven is to please the customers.
i'm a colored guy and for a few jobs, i knew that my chances were better when i shaved my goatee. we all know why. whether it's fair or not, it's the way society percieves things, even if there is a rule that says it's ok.
about the bra-wearing, it's all about the customers. your employer would let you drive naked if the customers preferred it.

michaela
michaela

January 6th, 2004, 11:50 am #5

Elijah said..."about the bra-wearing, it's all about the customers. ..."

I don't agree, Elijah. It is NOT all about the customers...or anyone else. It's NOT about pleasing men with a pushed up, perky form...or pleasing a society who believes, for some strange reason, that it is immoral to go without a harness. It IS about the WOMAN! We are tired or being harnessed and reformed into someones elses idea if beauty, and we are tired of our health being comprimized as a result. It is no one elses business but ours! Us women!!!

Celeste
Celeste

January 6th, 2004, 1:48 pm #6

Couldn't agree more Michaela! If I want to wear a this blouse top because the weather is hot, I'll wear the darn thing, and I don't give a rats that my nipples are showing, or that people can see my breasts. If they don't like what they see they can look elsewhere, and if they do like what they see then I've made someone's day for them! Either way, MY breasts are free - society should learn to set their minds free too!

JB
JB

January 6th, 2004, 8:05 pm #7

Congratulations Michaela! I would say this isn't a 'small' step at all- it's a very BIG victory for breast freedom and employee's personal rights!
I don't think it is small at all. You stopped the policy from taking a big step backward.

JB
JB

January 6th, 2004, 8:13 pm #8

i think that the rule that women are supposed to wear bras and (for a lot of the better jobs) it's preferable for guys to be clean shaven is to please the customers.
i'm a colored guy and for a few jobs, i knew that my chances were better when i shaved my goatee. we all know why. whether it's fair or not, it's the way society percieves things, even if there is a rule that says it's ok.
about the bra-wearing, it's all about the customers. your employer would let you drive naked if the customers preferred it.
>i think that the rule that women are supposed to wear bras and (for a lot of the better jobs) it's preferable for guys to be clean shaven is to please the customers.<

It might be in order not to offend customers, but I care more about service and price than I do about whether an employee has long hair, facial hair, or whether they wear a bra or color their hair.

>i'm a colored guy and for a few jobs, i knew that my chances were better when i shaved my goatee. we all know why. <

Actually, I don't know why but I do think a goatee would hurt anyone's chances for a job unless perhaps the job involved artists or software development. It isn't right, but that is how things are.

> whether it's fair or not, it's the way society percieves things, even if there is a rule that says it's ok.
about the bra-wearing, it's all about the customers. your employer would let you drive naked if the customers preferred it.<

That's true, since there are places where women dance topless or naked and the customers like it that way.

JB
JB

January 6th, 2004, 8:16 pm #9

Elijah said..."about the bra-wearing, it's all about the customers. ..."

I don't agree, Elijah. It is NOT all about the customers...or anyone else. It's NOT about pleasing men with a pushed up, perky form...or pleasing a society who believes, for some strange reason, that it is immoral to go without a harness. It IS about the WOMAN! We are tired or being harnessed and reformed into someones elses idea if beauty, and we are tired of our health being comprimized as a result. It is no one elses business but ours! Us women!!!
I don't think Elijah was defending the bra requirement of some employers, just saying that employers don't want to offend customers. I agree with you that it is none of anyone's business whether a woman is wearing a bra. So long as she is wearing a non-transparent shirt, it should not matter what is on underneath while she is at work.

Nat
Nat

January 6th, 2004, 9:51 pm #10

>i think that the rule that women are supposed to wear bras and (for a lot of the better jobs) it's preferable for guys to be clean shaven is to please the customers.<

It might be in order not to offend customers, but I care more about service and price than I do about whether an employee has long hair, facial hair, or whether they wear a bra or color their hair.

>i'm a colored guy and for a few jobs, i knew that my chances were better when i shaved my goatee. we all know why. <

Actually, I don't know why but I do think a goatee would hurt anyone's chances for a job unless perhaps the job involved artists or software development. It isn't right, but that is how things are.

> whether it's fair or not, it's the way society percieves things, even if there is a rule that says it's ok.
about the bra-wearing, it's all about the customers. your employer would let you drive naked if the customers preferred it.<

That's true, since there are places where women dance topless or naked and the customers like it that way.
Well there are many jobs where employees don't deal with directly with the public at all- like those who work in factories or interior offices where they don't come in contact with customers except perhaps by telephone. It would be interesting to see how many of these places have dress codes and what rationale they use to require them.