Was surfing

Was surfing

Marv
Marv

March 22nd, 2005, 5:05 am #1

Was surfing and found where Jordan Matter was was taking photos of topless women in New York city, Took pictures of some 40 women, one woman he was taking pictures for 2 1/2 hours hoping for a mayhem and there was none.
The pictures can be seen on www.joranmatter.com

Melissa
Melissa

March 22nd, 2005, 9:12 pm #2

I'm a little confused why they called it "nudes in NY" when no one was nude, they were topfree.

Marv
Marv

March 23rd, 2005, 2:55 am #3

Could be some people define nude different than we do
Could be the word nudes turn more heads than top free
could be by making it nudes he could includes nudes later
Could be none of the above
I was impressed by the fact the models said they felt liberated and the fact that if he spent 2 1/2 on one model, how many did he spend on 40 models and caused no big confects, Is New York getting used to top free gals or gave up on complaining when it is legal and look the other way. people have got used to top free men, mini skirts, black people on the front of buses and many other things may be there is light at the end of tunnel for bra free and top free women I hope.

JB
JB

March 23rd, 2005, 3:08 am #4

I also thought it might be because some people consider a woman without a top as "nude" and because using that word might get more people to look.

Perhaps New Yorkers accepted the women's state of dress because it was all for art.
There was one picture with what appeared to be a police officer smiling at one of the models.
He didn't seem to have a problem with it and probably just wondered what was going on.

Nat

March 23rd, 2005, 3:36 am #5

Could be some people define nude different than we do
Could be the word nudes turn more heads than top free
could be by making it nudes he could includes nudes later
Could be none of the above
I was impressed by the fact the models said they felt liberated and the fact that if he spent 2 1/2 on one model, how many did he spend on 40 models and caused no big confects, Is New York getting used to top free gals or gave up on complaining when it is legal and look the other way. people have got used to top free men, mini skirts, black people on the front of buses and many other things may be there is light at the end of tunnel for bra free and top free women I hope.
I think it's clear from the reaction to Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" that the great majority of people- including the FCC regard breasts as "nudity".

JB
JB

March 23rd, 2005, 5:37 pm #6

I am not sure the FCC is the problem. I think the FCC (esp the former FCC chairman, Powell) members think they are doing what most of the public wants, if they didn't do this, people (and I don't mean just very religious people) would want them fired.

Nat

March 23rd, 2005, 6:39 pm #7

Well whatever their reasoning, they are the ones who have imposed strict new rules limiting nudity, or even the possiblity of nudity on TV, and to them that includes women's topfreedom.

JB
JB

March 24th, 2005, 1:52 am #8

I heard that a show like NYPD Blue would not get on the air today, not because of the violence but because of the partial nudity. People have more of a problem with a glimpse of breasts than with the violence and gore of some shows. The CSI shows get away with some gore, but perhaps people find them educational more than gratuitous in their gore.

John Bayko
John Bayko

March 25th, 2005, 12:58 am #9

I am not sure the FCC is the problem. I think the FCC (esp the former FCC chairman, Powell) members think they are doing what most of the public wants, if they didn't do this, people (and I don't mean just very religious people) would want them fired.
The FCC has seen a rise in complaints, from 14,000 in 2002 to 240,000 in 2003. They are required by U.S law to investigate them all independently, even though apparently almost all the complaints come from a single group, the Parents Television Council (PTC).

The FCC doesn't take initiative, it only reacts to complaints. It's quite possible that a lot of television violated broadcast standards for several years, but there had been no complaints about them (probably on the principle that people offended by those programs would not normally watch them anyway).

I don't know what's causing the increase in social conservatism in the U.S, except it might be a backlash against what they see as a growing acceptance of values which they oppose. They may feel that the cause of this loss of support for their own views is the spread of other views in popular media, and feel this is the only effective way to fight it (whether they need to fight growing acceptance of other social positions is a different matter).

They may be partly right about that, but also important is the unrestricted communication by the Internet. They know this - Utah just passed a law to effectively require all Utah-based ISPs to filter government-listed web sites. For everyone, even adults.

In any case, social conservatives, who tend to want to have control over others (it makes them feel more comfortable to have like-minded people around, and uncomfortable to deal with different opinions - it may be no more complicated than that), are feeling threatened by, ironically, the relentless growth of socially liberal[1] values. In other words, growing appearance of conservatism is a symptom of growing liberalism in the U.S.

I hope they take their eventual defeat well. Social conservatives tend to be the more well-armed group.

[1] The actual meaning of the word "liberal", not what Republicans say it means.

March 28th, 2005, 1:18 am #10

Was surfing and found where Jordan Matter was was taking photos of topless women in New York city, Took pictures of some 40 women, one woman he was taking pictures for 2 1/2 hours hoping for a mayhem and there was none.
The pictures can be seen on www.joranmatter.com
I checked this out and concur that it is a very interesting experiment. A few of the photographs seem deliberately provocative (such as the one where the woman is standing topfree in the newsstand next to the newspaper seller; I suppose it's her facial expression and pose). Most of the photographs, however, simply show topfree women performing common actions while in public. I still found myself turned on by some of the photos, but that was more because I was attracted to the particular woman's face, body and pose--whether or not it was deliberately provocative. I looked at most of the photographs only once, to acknowledge their content and overall aesthetic.