US election

US election

Marseil
Marseil

October 16th, 2008, 6:59 am #1

Just to help me understand about participation in elections..... Who among the US posters here will vote on Nov 4? Who will not vote? And why?

Thanks

Marseil

cool beans boi
cool beans boi

October 16th, 2008, 12:52 pm #2

I will vote even if I have to stand in line for hours(Republican trick in ohio in 2004) . I want Obama to win, and Republicans to lose big. After the last 8 years they deserve to lose the presidency, congress, and every governor's seat. I guess my vote will make litte difference since NJ is a very blue state, but it will make me feel a lot better. Obams will repair the respect for the US amoung the rest of the world.
I hope Franken wins big in Minnesota, that will make Bill O'Reilly's head explode!

Chris

Brandon
Brandon

October 17th, 2008, 2:17 am #3

I've rarely missed voting in any election since I turned 18. I've never missed a presidential election and will definitely be voting on November 4.

Nat

October 17th, 2008, 4:45 am #4

Just to help me understand about participation in elections..... Who among the US posters here will vote on Nov 4? Who will not vote? And why?

Thanks

Marseil
I will vote because I can do it by mail now- I probably wouldn't this time if I had to drive to town and stand in a line like the old days because unlike previous elections, when I had a firm and strong preference, I have qualms about both the major candidates. I feel Obama is unproven and his pass associations are worrisome. And I think McCain is a decent man (for a politician) but he is too beholden to big business and too adventurous in foreign relations. I think this country needs a major change in both these directions and he is not going to give it to us.

Bobby
Bobby

November 4th, 2008, 8:47 pm #5

Thanks

Marseil
I WILL vote. It is my civic duty. People who don't vote have no right to complain because by not voting they demonstrate that they don't give a shit.

Hugz
Bobby

cool beans boi
cool beans boi

November 4th, 2008, 10:02 pm #6

I want to echo Bobby's sentiment. he is right on the money.

Bob
Bob

November 5th, 2008, 3:29 am #7

Thanks

Marseil
Obama is assured victory. Winning Ohio and Pennsylvania spelled the death knoll for McCain. Yes, I voted. I wasn't planning to vote, but my elderly mother asked that I take her to vote, so I thought "What the hell, I'm here."

I knew Obama would win. There were so many things in his favor: Most of all, an articulate black man (well, part-black) who championed all the liberal causes without sounding as bitter as Democratic predecessors. He emphasized "hope", not how horrible the Conservatives are. Automatic lock on Black voters. Automatic lock on those supporting abortion, social safety net, redistribution of wealth and end to war. Second, a very unpopular Republican President in George W. Bush. All Republicans suffered by this association . . not just McCain, but McCain certainly . . and more seats in Congress moving from Republican party to Democrats. Third, weak candidate in John McCain. Per ABC News, only 30% of eligible Republican voters in Ohio even bothered to vote . . a historical low (like I said, I wasn't planning to vote either). Without a real choice, why bother? Fourth, a weak economy: As Minnesota Governor Pawlenty noted, that usually spells doom for the incumbent party. Finally, a growing Hispanic population is voting largely Democrat, as the few prominent politicians who dare to take a stand have been Republicans (either way, the path to dismantling of the American border with Mexico has been underway . . even McCain wanted to reward lawbreakers with citizenship).

While I understand the excitement many feel over this "monumental event" (funny how its racist if one DOESN'T vote for a candidate because they are Black . . but its supposedly NOT RACIST if one votes in favor of a candidate because they are Black), I view this year's election, and the pending collapse of the American economy, as the death knoll. Sad how a country of almost 300 million has such minimal talent to choose from among the offered candidates.

Brandon
Brandon

November 5th, 2008, 4:19 am #8

Im just sitting here wondering what happened to America?

Is the media to blame? Never in the modern era has the media done such a poor job of investigating a candidate.

Have we raised a generation of such vapid idiots that they really believe this man is going to save them?

Did we really just elect a one term, no experience senator over an experienced war hero?

A man who was a member of an American hating church for 20 years is now our leader.

For the first time in my life, I'm beginning to doubt the future of this country. Our best days may be behind us.

Nat

November 5th, 2008, 5:44 am #9

Well it could be that your Republican party and it's leaders are to blame.

I think by any measure the past eight years have been terrible for this country and by every measure we are worse off now.

Can Obama fixed the many problems we face? I don't know if anyone can. But I trust he will have wise advisers- and will listen to them.
I just know that more of the same policies we had the past 8 years sure isn't the answer so we have to give something new a chance.

Brandon
Brandon

November 5th, 2008, 6:05 am #10

The Republican Party has been a disaster. The Republican Congress spent all kinds of money on pork. Bush gave us nothing but deficit spending, an unnecessary war, open borders and amnesty, new entitlement programs, and wanted to do even more horrible things like the Dubai port deal and Harriet Miers on the Supreme Court.

You will get no defense of the Republican Party of the last 8 years from me.

However, the answer is not to elect a man who lied about his association with a known terrorist and who spent 20 years in the church of an anti American racist lunatic preacher. A man that says he will pass laws that will make it impossible to own a power plant run by the very coal that provides over half of the electricity used in this country. A man who wants to raise taxes in the middle of a recession. A man who has promised to cut military spending and wants to sit down unconditionally with our enemies.

This is a sad day for America. I'm just glad I live in Tennessee where we were smart enough not to be deceived by this charlatan.