U.S. Election

U.S. Election

Brandon
Brandon

February 28th, 2008, 4:16 am #1

You know if there is any year in which Democrats should be able to win the White House, it should be 2008.

But things are really starting to look good for John McCain. The New York Times hit piece really helped him with conservatives and he still has strong appeal to moderates and independents.

Looks like there is going to be enough "stuff" on Obama that by November, he won't be seen as a mainstream candidate.

It will be so funny that if even after 8 years of George Bush's complete failure as president, his party keeps the White House.

Why the Dems didn't nominate someone like John Edwards, Al Gore, or Evan Bayh, all 3 who would win in a landslide in a general election just shows how "out of it" that party has been and still is.

Nat

February 28th, 2008, 4:25 am #2

Don't bet on it Brandon. The thing that voters have made very clear this year is that they don't like the way the country is going and they want a change in direction. McCain is just a continuation of Bush policies and is not what the voters want.

Brandon
Brandon

February 28th, 2008, 4:40 am #3

In the latest poll, McCain scores about one point better than Obama. This could be bad news for Obama. People know who and what John McCain is all about. All they know about Obama is that he is a good looking black man who gives a great speech about change and hope.

In May 1988, Dukakis was 10 to 20 points ahead in the polls against George Bush. People were saying after 8 years of Reagan-Bush, that they wanted a change. We all know how that election turned out once the voters got to know Dukakis. Now granted he was a terrible campaigner and Obama is one of the all time greats in that area.

But once Obama has to get specific and really start talking about foreign policy, taxes, etc. I think most Americans will decide that is not the kind of change they want.

Nat

February 28th, 2008, 5:20 am #4

Polls are practically worthless these days because so many young people (Obama voters) don't even have home phones anymore and can't be reached by poll takers. This is why the polls have been very inaccurate throughout the whole primary season.

Just look at these three- covering about the same time span with completely different results.

AP-Ipsos 02/22 - 02/24 755 RV 41% 51% Obama +10%
USA Today/Gallup 02/21 - 02/24 1653 LV 48% 47% McCain +1%
CBS News/NY Times 02/20 - 02/24 1115 RV 38% 50% Obama +12%

A better indication is who has actually voted this year- and here the Dems have almost a 2 to 1 advantage over Reps.

But if you want to grab at straws you go right ahead. I'm sure President Obama won't care.

Brandon
Brandon

February 28th, 2008, 5:36 am #5

Actually, the number of primary voters is no indicator at all about the general election. Again, let's look at 1988 where 23 million voted in the Democrat primaries, while only 13 voted in the Republican primaries. Yet Bush destroyed Dukakis in the general election.

I agree polls about November mean nothing at this point. But once the glamour of Obama starts to fade, the public will turn to the serious candidate and that is McCain.

Don't ever underestimate the Republicans at turning on the attack machine. Look at how they were able to turn John Kerry who actually served in Vietnam into a traitor while they were able to make George Bush who couldn't even show up to serve in the National Guard in Alabama into the true patriot.

A black guy who has the most liberal voting record in the Senate, dad was a Muslim, middle name is Hussein, belongs to a church that is proudly ethno centric etc. The Republican National Committee will have lots of fun with Obama before it is all over.

There will also be a segment of the Democrats led by the Clintons who will also work behind the scenes to see that Obama loses so Hillary can come back in 2012. Don't for a minute think the Clintons care about anything but their own power and won't be doing everything they can to help him lose.

I

Nat

February 28th, 2008, 6:33 am #6

Oh I have no doubt the Republicans will turn their "attack machine" on but if all they can do is knock his name and his dad then it has run out of steam. So his middle name is Hussein? I bet there's a child molester somewhere name Brandon. What does that prove? And if his dad was a Muslin- so what? My Dad was a Republican!

On the other hand, McCain has real dirty laundry in the closet- just take a look at this- http://www.usvetdsp.com/nov07/mccain_deceit.htm

Cool beans boi
Cool beans boi

February 28th, 2008, 2:21 pm #7

I agree with Nat here. Obama is actually getting young people out to vote. That could turn this election very much in his favor. All Obama has to do is stress over and over that John McCain wants to stay in Iraq for "a hundred years" and Obama will win easily.
I like the way Obama just bats away the petty critcism, such as the flag pin nonsense. That is the main difference between him and Hillary. Hillary would run home and put on a flag pin, Obama just explains why he is not wearing one.
Obama sets the agenda, that is why he will win this fall.

Bob
Bob

February 29th, 2008, 2:50 am #8

Oh I have no doubt the Republicans will turn their "attack machine" on but if all they can do is knock his name and his dad then it has run out of steam. So his middle name is Hussein? I bet there's a child molester somewhere name Brandon. What does that prove? And if his dad was a Muslin- so what? My Dad was a Republican!

On the other hand, McCain has real dirty laundry in the closet- just take a look at this- http://www.usvetdsp.com/nov07/mccain_deceit.htm
Is that McCain is a big-time American politician: They are ALL in bed with wealthy and powerful crooks -- that is why they even have the opportunity to contend for higher political office. And, they will lie, cheat and steal to gain that higher perch. Democrat, Republic, it doesn't matter . . all corrupt, all essentially the same. And the corrupt media cooperates by featuring nonsense . . the celebrity controversies, what a certain style of dress or mannerism supposedly says about a candidate rather than talking real issues (no wonder the Congress spends its time talking about a baseball player's steroid use instead of the real problems facing our country . . everything is smokescreens and trivia).

As for November, I don't think it really matters who wins . . none of the major candidates will do anything to address the real problems of our country. Voting is increasingly a waste of time.

Nat

February 29th, 2008, 3:53 am #9

Well I largely agree with you Bob. I think Congress is so corrupt these days. Instead of passing laws and regulations to protect the public as they did in the '60s & '70s, for the past 25 years they have been repealing these laws at the request of big business interests who gives them big campaign contributions which are essentially another name for a bribe. I could give you so many examples of this.

I can't say I don't have qualms about Obama but at least he is the most different than the conventional politician which I think has been his appeal to people.