TX Ice scraper

TX Ice scraper

shadow
shadow

January 18th, 2007, 8:12 pm #1

Jan 18, 2007 2:02 PM

Body: Body: [[[ R E P O S T ]]]

so its snowing & icing in central texas and i was watching people this morning scrape ice off their cars. Of course no (one) has a real ice scraper so i wanna see what you used to get the ice of your car(,) house(,) bike(,) etc. add your name and the item used, copy and re-post.

thor-a ruler
megan- cd case.
amerykah----a metal noise maker from new years.
nathanyl-- a wire hanger and a screw driver.
OH&Cas&Brooke -- "Bench Scraper" from Cas' chef's bag
Payne- fuck scraping the ice, i just smashed out all my windows!
Terra - My dad's credit card.. now broken. Then a spatula...now broken.
El Tigre----A casset tape i found under the seat of my Jeep..Depeche Mode!
Carrie--- cd case
Ivy- I beat the shit outta my car with the same plastic pitcher I used to pour hot water on it. And a nice man used his scraper a bit. I think he liked me!!!!!lol
Chancho - We actually have in ice scraper.
Missy - A scraper used to remove wallpaper
Jason - got remote start on my truck, so by the time I get out to my truck, its warm and toasty and ice free. :D Best invention ever!
Jesseca- A spatula and my fingernails....
Erin- I actually had an ice scraper leftover from my year in wyoming! Don't leave home without it
Shadow~My defrost, which I later heard on the news I shouldn't do, use heater only till car is warm, then defrost, so you don't crack the windows I guess....Then a combination of a skinning knife and a big plastic serving spoon. I can't believe all the people here who still have cassettes in there cars! I haven't seen one of those in about three years!

Rusty
Rusty

January 19th, 2007, 12:28 pm #2

I just started the van and let it melt. The ice feel off but it took a while.

Marv
Marv

January 19th, 2007, 4:21 pm #3

so its snowing & icing in central texas and i was watching people this morning scrape ice off their cars. Of course no (one) has a real ice scraper so i wanna see what you used to get the ice of your car(,) house(,) bike(,) etc. add your name and the item used, copy and re-post.

thor-a ruler
megan- cd case.
Carrie--- cd case
Ivy- I beat the shit outta my car with the same plastic pitcher I used to pour hot water on it. And a nice man used his scraper a bit. I think he liked me!!!!!lol
Jason - got remote start on my truck, so by the time I get out to my truck, its warm and toasty and ice free. :D Best invention ever!
Erin- I actually had an ice scraper leftover from my year in wyoming! Don't leave home without it
Shadow~My defrost, which I later heard on the news I shouldn't do, use heater only till car is warm, then defrost, so you don't crack the windows I guess....Then a combination of a skinning knife and a big plastic serving spoon. I can't believe all the people here who still have cassettes in there cars! I haven't seen one of those in about three years!
What cracks window or windshields is a extreme temp change in a small area. I use hot water, but I do not pour it on, I splash it on to spread the heat over a larger area. While working in a IH truck shop in the 60's and 70' we had trouble with one model of truck that had three inch round defrosters, and my theory was that if the defrosters was not turned on the air in the defroster pipe would get hot as heat rises it would rise to the windshield and with no air movent the heat would be on a small area of the glass, and they all had cracked windshields. Most cars now days has the defroster going almost the full width of the glass, unless you have stuff [junk] on your dash so the air don't spread evenly
The same thing goes as you don't put mirrors or the like on the dash or the back shelf next to rear window, I'm sure every body as a kid has used a mirror to burn paper in the sun
Speaking as someone who was a mechanic, 24 years in Minn. 19 years in Texas

shadow
shadow

January 20th, 2007, 3:48 am #4

I have always gone out ten minutes prior to my leave time and started my car, put the heat on full blast, put the blower on full too, and set it to defrost. When I come back out in ten the car is warm and the windsheild is clear and intact. It has always worked for me....I have to remember my little rear window defrost button thingie too!

Bob
Bob

January 20th, 2007, 5:00 pm #5

thor-a ruler
megan- cd case.
Carrie--- cd case
With a light frost, I've found that a plastic card (library card or gift card) works great in getting the frost scraped off (start the car and set to windshield defrost helps too). With ice, it helps to have a can of de-icer spray. I spray it on and it immediately starts to melt the ice, and I can scrap it off easier. Here we have cold weather frequently in the winter, so I can go to any auto parts store, or some discount stores like WalMart or K Mart, and get it pretty cheap. Down in your warmer climate, they might not stock such things, as you would seldom need them. If you can get a can and keep it in your car, it comes in handy.

shadow
shadow

January 20th, 2007, 6:56 pm #6

I have two cans of de-icer hidden in my school bus. Hidden because we aren't supposed to keep any chemicals without a form filled out in triplicate on board a bus. Those cans of de-icer were very handy locked up in my bus when my car was completely encapsulated in ice the other day. Oh well.....

I would actually rather not use the de-icer when I can avoid it. It is greesy and always blows back into my eyes without fail. Since I can warm my car at an idle I don't need the chemical. The bus, on the other hand, will not warm up sitting and idling. So it is a necessity. It takes about three or four miles of driving down the road before you feel any heat in the bus.

But what was really fun about getting the ice off the car was seeing how big of a sheet I could lift off before it broke. I know, easily ammused!

Marv
Marv

January 21st, 2007, 7:29 am #7

Shadow, you are wise not use it if you can help it as from my experience it eats up wiper blades

Marv
Marv

January 21st, 2007, 7:52 am #8

I have two cans of de-icer hidden in my school bus. Hidden because we aren't supposed to keep any chemicals without a form filled out in triplicate on board a bus. Those cans of de-icer were very handy locked up in my bus when my car was completely encapsulated in ice the other day. Oh well.....

I would actually rather not use the de-icer when I can avoid it. It is greesy and always blows back into my eyes without fail. Since I can warm my car at an idle I don't need the chemical. The bus, on the other hand, will not warm up sitting and idling. So it is a necessity. It takes about three or four miles of driving down the road before you feel any heat in the bus.

But what was really fun about getting the ice off the car was seeing how big of a sheet I could lift off before it broke. I know, easily ammused!
Shadow I was just reading some post that I missed and seen you had a birthday, so way late but HAPPY BIRTHDAY

shadow
shadow

January 21st, 2007, 4:33 pm #9

But you are not late! I am still celebrating! I had a gal in the Starbucks tell me once that we should celebrate a day for every year we are alive. That would be 47 days for me this year. So I will be celebrating until February 24th. Cool idea, huh? Thanks for the wishes!

And about the de-icer...if it does eat up the rubber on wiper blades...imagine the seals around the glass too! I don't want to do that to my car. I wonder about the run off and how it effects the environment as well. It is really nasty stuff.

Eric UK
Eric UK

January 21st, 2007, 8:16 pm #10

Sorry Shadow, I also missed wishing you a happy birthday. I had got it in my mind that it was after mine, but then I saw it was a few days before. You can add 20 to your age for mine, but I don't look half as pretty as you.

Regarding the de-icing problem, my present Ford car has wires embedded in both the front and rear screens to help with this. Regarding letting the engine run for 10 minutes, they say that this will not do the catalyser much good. But then again, where we are, we don't get anything like the weather you get in winter. Had a taste of it when living in North Germany where it got down to -30C at night and didn't rise above zero all day. Eventually, the air got so dry that you could just blow the snow off the car in the morning and there was very little ice on the windscreen. This was a hell of a contrast to the 3 years previous when I was living in the middle east and the temperature never got below 20C and was 35-40 by mid-day. Now, in England it's just wind and rain.

Anyway, here is another belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Better carry on the celebrating now.