thongs at the prom

thongs at the prom

michaela
michaela

December 18th, 2003, 5:47 pm #1

Does anyone remember that case, oh maybe two years back, and maybe it was California, I'm not sure, where the school teacher, or administrator inspected the girls at the high school prom to see if they were wearing thong underwear or not? She lifted their skirts to find out what they had on under. If the girls were found to be wearing thongs they were expelled from the prom.

Some outraged parents were going after the woman, and rightly so, but I don't ever remember hearing what happened next. Anyone remember this?

JB
JB

December 18th, 2003, 5:54 pm #2

I recall this and I think it has been discussed on this board, perhaps a year ago, so you might look at old posts. I recall that parents demanded the administrator be fired and I think she did receive some sort of reprimand.

JB
JB

December 18th, 2003, 5:56 pm #3

Does anyone remember that case, oh maybe two years back, and maybe it was California, I'm not sure, where the school teacher, or administrator inspected the girls at the high school prom to see if they were wearing thong underwear or not? She lifted their skirts to find out what they had on under. If the girls were found to be wearing thongs they were expelled from the prom.

Some outraged parents were going after the woman, and rightly so, but I don't ever remember hearing what happened next. Anyone remember this?
http://216.239.33.104/search?q=cache:M7 ... n&ie=UTF-8

michaela
michaela

December 18th, 2003, 6:14 pm #4

<Principal Paul Gentle said that he is "looking into the situation." He said that even while enforcing the school dress code, it is not proper procedure to ask students what they are wearing underneath their clothes.>

This is exactly my point about our Transportation Department Dress Code. It is the same for everyone. No one has the right to ask, look, or otherwise speculate about what a person, any age, is wearing under their clothes.

Anudist
Anudist

December 18th, 2003, 6:25 pm #5

She was terminated and lost her position of Vice Principal.

Although I do not support her methods, I thought that the loss of job, stature, et cetera were a little obsessive after all the dust had settled. Nonetheless, she did do wrong but she had "good intentions" (in her mind at least).

However, I wonder what would have happened if she had inspected for bras instead of thongs.

Anudist
Anudist

December 18th, 2003, 6:27 pm #6

<Principal Paul Gentle said that he is "looking into the situation." He said that even while enforcing the school dress code, it is not proper procedure to ask students what they are wearing underneath their clothes.>

This is exactly my point about our Transportation Department Dress Code. It is the same for everyone. No one has the right to ask, look, or otherwise speculate about what a person, any age, is wearing under their clothes.
I can't remember the her name, but she has a show on TV.

I know its not Gilda Radner but its somehting like that.

The best thing is that the title of her book:

I'm Naked Under My Clothes

I just thought that it fit here real well.

Nat

December 18th, 2003, 6:41 pm #7

Although I do not support her methods, I thought that the loss of job, stature, et cetera were a little obsessive after all the dust had settled. Nonetheless, she did do wrong but she had "good intentions" (in her mind at least).

However, I wonder what would have happened if she had inspected for bras instead of thongs.
It was a serious violation of a student's privacy and left the school vulnerable to law suits.
And had this happen to my daughter I would have been among those filing one.
And I see no difference had it been bras she was checking.

Nat

December 18th, 2003, 6:47 pm #8

I can't remember the her name, but she has a show on TV.

I know its not Gilda Radner but its somehting like that.

The best thing is that the title of her book:

I'm Naked Under My Clothes

I just thought that it fit here real well.
That was Rita Rudner I think you are thinking about.

JB
JB

December 18th, 2003, 9:24 pm #9

What they could have done instead is just told the girls with short skirts to go home if they showed anything (whether intentional or not). I don't think any parent would have been upset with that.

kath
kath

December 18th, 2003, 10:35 pm #10

That woman is sick! Imagine if a man were doing that? He'd be behind bars for a long, long time.