This may have been mentioned before but...

This may have been mentioned before but...

March 9th, 2004, 5:21 pm #1

Why is it that actresses, singers, and supermodels can all go anywhere they want obviously braless, and in some cases almost topless, and it is perfectly acceptable? But let the average woman run through her daily routine dressed half as "revealing" as they are and (for some people) the world comes to an end. Which brings me to another point. Not only is there a society and media perpetuated double standard between men and womens breasts, but also between some women and other womens breasts. Regards, Dave.

Nat

March 9th, 2004, 7:54 pm #2

Yes Dave, we have talk about this before, and you are right, there does seem to be a double standard. Celebrities seem to be given more freedom in this regard than women in private life. I don't understand it either.

elijah
elijah

March 9th, 2004, 8:24 pm #3

Why is it that actresses, singers, and supermodels can all go anywhere they want obviously braless, and in some cases almost topless, and it is perfectly acceptable? But let the average woman run through her daily routine dressed half as "revealing" as they are and (for some people) the world comes to an end. Which brings me to another point. Not only is there a society and media perpetuated double standard between men and womens breasts, but also between some women and other womens breasts. Regards, Dave.
i don't think that there is a double standard between breasts of some woman versus that of others. since female breasts are considered sexual to socity, women use it to entertain
celebrities appear braless or topless when they're performing because they're job requires them to keep the audiences' attention. but they dress like the majority of women when they are not performing. a regular woman can wear revealing stuff or be topless when she wants to entertain, like in strip-clubs or to entertain her lover. all women, celebrities or not, call increasing attention to themselves according to how scantily clad they are.

michaela
michaela

March 9th, 2004, 8:38 pm #4

There is such a double standard for different women and their different breasts! If you are older than twenty five in this country, and you have natural breasts, chances are some stupid guy has said that hers are not the type of breasts he wants to see, and so does not want top freedom. Believe it or not, it has happened in my conversations with others besides you, Elijah. It seems the standard of beauty here says that breasts must be high, round, full, with nipples pointing upward. Those are not the norm, in fact, are far from it, which is why so many women are having surgery.

March 10th, 2004, 12:15 pm #5

i don't think that there is a double standard between breasts of some woman versus that of others. since female breasts are considered sexual to socity, women use it to entertain
celebrities appear braless or topless when they're performing because they're job requires them to keep the audiences' attention. but they dress like the majority of women when they are not performing. a regular woman can wear revealing stuff or be topless when she wants to entertain, like in strip-clubs or to entertain her lover. all women, celebrities or not, call increasing attention to themselves according to how scantily clad they are.
It is exactly this that I was referring to. How they dress when they are not performing. How many paparazzi pictures and video clips do we have to see to realize many actresses dress this way on or off the clock? Let alone the award shows that come right into the living room of millions of households. I don't have a problem with these actresses and supermodels dressing that way, I do have a problem with the media slapping every other woman in this country in the face with it. I just think every woman in this country should have the same right to feel comfortable dressing the same way they do no matter what she or her breasts look like.

I think there IS a double standard. And I think anyone with their mind out of the gutter for a little while can see it.

Cindiee
Cindiee

March 10th, 2004, 1:57 pm #6

Dave, you make some excellent points, but it is clear that you making the point from a male point of view, which is ok and we women appreciate that. But let me speak for myself.
Non celebrity women (like myself) do dress braless more often than not, when we go out for a fancy dinner, night out with the slinky black dresses, that are either low cut in the front and/or in the back.
Nobody complains about that, either other women or men, it is just accepted by everyone.
Now, I for one, dress braless during the regular everyday day, but I do not flaunt it, never, never.
Now, on occasion, one might see my nipples protruding out of my top or blouse in the summer time, but those are rarities and quite often, I put a tape or other commercial nipple pads over it, so I do not invite stares to my breasts rather than my face.
So in summary, a certain way of dress behavior is the norm in certain situations, like an award show, and other times, in the office, there is a different norm.
Very acceptable to me, and so far, nobody has made a negative comment to me for being braless 95% of the time. I go braless for me, not to show off my nipples or my breasts.
Cindiee

Dave
Dave

March 10th, 2004, 4:31 pm #7

Cindiee,

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry that's all that you recieved from my post. I should have been more defining of what my goal was in my example.

I am not by any means saying that the average woman should have that same freedom for me or any other male's benefit. Or, that that's the reason they should do it. (However much the average male may enjoy the idea, and pick and choose which ladies should or shouldn't.) Which is why I used the word comfort, and made the point that what the womans breasts look like should not be a factor.
As you clearly stated. You do it for yourself, not to show off.

My wife would love to throw away her bra's. Not because she's trying to excite anyone, but because she feels more relaxed and comfortable physically without one "cutting off her circulation" as she sometimes puts it.
I am not female, nor can I pretend to know what it is like to be one. But I think I can understand my wifes reasoning for wanting to be able to be comfortable in public without a bra. Nipples showing or not.

I don't mow my grass topless during the summer to showoff my breasts or nipples to anyone. I do it because it's cooler, and I like the tan I get. If that excites someone, thats ok I guess. I've at least never known it to offend anyone. I think my wife should have that same freedom for herself, without feeling condemned, or that she's trying to be an object of desire.

Regards, Dave.

michaela
michaela

March 10th, 2004, 7:46 pm #8

It's too bad, Cindiee, that you feel you must put tape or pads on your breasts to hide your nipples. Just yesterday, and this morning I saw two examples of women, with bras on that were clearly nipping.

One was a parent walking to the front of the school to pick up her child. She was nipping and bouncing, so I wondered if she had on a bra, and sure enough she did.

The other was a bus driver who was taking her work shirt off to get back to her normal shirt underneath after the route. She too was nipping.

Why do I mention this? I believe it is so normal for womens nipples to show, even through bras, and no one says anything about it. Those women probably weren't even aware they were doing it. If someone had said something about it to them, they would have been embarrassed I'll bet, but no one did, and the world didn't come to an end.

So why can't bralessness be as normal and common as these other examples? Why can't I dress like a movie star and walk around town in a very low cut summer dress this season?

The answer is, It can, and I can. It is all up to me. If people make comments to me about it, I will just have to ignore them. They would get used to it, and the double standard would end if woman just did what they wanted, and stopped having so many rules about what is right and proper.

John Bayko
John Bayko

March 13th, 2004, 12:01 am #9

Dave, you make some excellent points, but it is clear that you making the point from a male point of view, which is ok and we women appreciate that. But let me speak for myself.
Non celebrity women (like myself) do dress braless more often than not, when we go out for a fancy dinner, night out with the slinky black dresses, that are either low cut in the front and/or in the back.
Nobody complains about that, either other women or men, it is just accepted by everyone.
Now, I for one, dress braless during the regular everyday day, but I do not flaunt it, never, never.
Now, on occasion, one might see my nipples protruding out of my top or blouse in the summer time, but those are rarities and quite often, I put a tape or other commercial nipple pads over it, so I do not invite stares to my breasts rather than my face.
So in summary, a certain way of dress behavior is the norm in certain situations, like an award show, and other times, in the office, there is a different norm.
Very acceptable to me, and so far, nobody has made a negative comment to me for being braless 95% of the time. I go braless for me, not to show off my nipples or my breasts.
Cindiee
"Non celebrity women (like myself) [...]"

You're quite a celebrity around here!

Can't you be a celebrity with less than a million fans?

Nat

March 13th, 2004, 12:21 am #10

True- everyone who post here is seen- or at least "can" be seen all over the world!
That's pretty 'celebrital'! (PS- I take credit for this new word.)