this forum is dead!yikes

this forum is dead!yikes

fooze
fooze

November 5th, 2009, 4:33 am #1

i remember whenitwas hoppin in the day...maybee bring back the old forum as it was" breast freedom" never understood why it was ever changed...just a thought

Nat

November 6th, 2009, 5:56 pm #2

Well "fooze" it's dead because people like you aren't posting. It changed because BFF had deteriorated into a constant flame war.

Bob
Bob

November 9th, 2009, 2:53 pm #3

i remember whenitwas hoppin in the day...maybee bring back the old forum as it was" breast freedom" never understood why it was ever changed...just a thought
it always does. Brief stretches with no posts and then there are times when a hot topic comes and there are frequest posts.

As for me . . I've not been feeling too well physically, a bit stressed, and then I always get caught up in football season and posting on sports forums. As soon as I feel better, I will be back posting more. I check here almost daily to see if there is something new.

We see an occasional new poster, but few that keep posting. Wonder why that is?

Nat

November 10th, 2009, 5:54 am #4

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well Bob. Sure hope it's not that Swine flu everyone is talking about.

I think the problem with Potpourri is first it's hard to find- nobody googles for "potpourri"- and there are so many general conversation forums around- many with more modern graphic-rich looks. But I thought it would do better than it has because even when we were Breasts Freedom Forum we talked about many other things. And I think that brief move to the mindsprings site cost us several regular posters- like John Bayko who has never posted since.

Bob
Bob

November 13th, 2009, 3:39 pm #5

I am seeing a new doctor today and hopefully will learn what I need to do to feel better. My blood pressure has been elevated lately, and it wasn't before, and I have this troubling pain on one side of my head. I sure don't want to become incapacitated.

As for this forum, I agree with what you say. I can't say that I miss Bayko though. I wasn't exactly Merry Sunshine either, but I have little tolerance for people who think they are smarter than anyone, demeaning others' posts in the process. Obviously, the guy is intelligent and educated, and I would ordinarily welcome hearing an educated point of view. But he was just so condescending that I would think it turns off anyone from wanting to consider his points. That, and he was so anti-American. I think most Americans will acknowledge our country's mistakes, but to have every aspect of U.S. misinterpreted such that we haven't ever done anything worthwhile or good . . what person wants to read such inaccurate drivel about their own country? He obviously didn't care for my comments critical of Canada and asking, "What has your country of 40 million people done?" It is so much harder to try to lead than to sit on the sidelines and spit.

Until such time as we have more people posting, I would welcome having those that come here share their current activities, plans and other things from their daily lives. I have done some of that, as you have, and it makes this more personal than merely debating topics.

Nat

November 13th, 2009, 8:38 pm #6

Well just having a few more posters would really help. It doesn't take a lot- even 4 or 5 regulars can keep a pretty good conversation going but we don't even have that lately.

In any case I hope you get to feeling better soon Bob. Hypertension could be causing your headaches and it does tend to rise with age. Mine started pretty early- around 40 and but it's pretty well controlled now with Norvasc and Atenolol. But different drugs work for different people so it takes some experimenting to find whats best for you.

Bob
Bob

November 14th, 2009, 4:59 am #7

The new doc is starting me on medication to control hypertension (I suggested improving diet, more exercise and dropping weight might be sufficient, but he doesn't think so). I will be having CT scan of my head, just to rule out anything serious. Actually the scan concerns me a bit, as I feel some apprehension of what might be found. This year, a younger cousin was diagnosed with cancer that had already spread to his brain and is terminal. His first inkling of anything wrong was pain in his head. He is not a bio-cousin to me, but to be so young and now dying is scary to think about.

Nat

November 15th, 2009, 7:26 am #8

Well I certainly hope it's nothing serious Bob- and probably isn't. But I'm that way myself- think that every minor thing is the start of something serious. This has only gotten worse since I got on the wrong side of 60. 60 is a traumatic experience. It should just be one more year- but psychologically it seems so much more. It seems like the start of being old. It's all in the head I know- physically I feel no different than before- but I know there's a lot more days that are gone than are left and I wonder where they all went.

Ironically I've been especially conscious of this lately since I got a photo scanner and have begun the arduous project of coverting our family photos- at least the better ones- to digital format. I plan to give all my kids CDs so each will have a copy of the family photos. Having them digital is so much better in so many ways- I just wish I had had a digital camera 35 years ago- I'd have a lot more pictures and better pictures than I do now. The best I can do at this point is work with what I've got- and it's amazing how much you can improved old photos with a photo editor- but still you can only do so much. And you sure can't do anything about all the pictures that were never taken because those old film cameras seem too much bother and expense to fool with. And back then you think the kids will be kids forever and life will just go on as it is.

Bob
Bob

November 15th, 2009, 2:56 pm #9

. . aint no joke! I told the nurse at the doctor's office that I have always taken good health for granted, but that is starting to change. It is not just the aches and reduced stamina . . I also don't have enthusiasm for doing things I used to do. Like working on the car. I always did my own oil changes, tune-ups and minor body repairs, but now I just take it to a mechanic. No longer have enthusiasm for lying on the ground, busting my knuckles when the wrench slips, getting dirty. Or painting. I still paint the rental property myself (I fact it is just me, as what help I used to get has moved away or got busy with other things). I used to get some satisfaction from getting work done, but now it is just a pain to do it. The past year, I hired a handyman to do some things I just didn't want to bother with. I watch those commercials for retirement communities, showing the old guy fed up with scrapping and painting and yard work, and now he smiles while walking the beautiful grounds of his retirement community and I think, "I'm years away from retiring, but I'd be smiling too buddy!" Last week I spent 4 hours raking leaves, while a good friend with a fraction as much to rake told me, "Excuse me, I have to pay the guy that is raking my leaves." I used to think of that as just laziness, but feeling my sore muscles I thought my friend had a point! Yet, I see guys old enough to be my father, and they are still doing things that I do and looking fit. So, I think I will keep trying to do as much as I can and hope it pays health dividends.

Did you see the story on Oprah this week about the woman whose face and hands got ripped off by that chimpanzee? She is blind, horribly disfigured and was told she is not a candidate for artificial hands (due to her blindness). She can never live alone again and is dependent upon others. Her teenage daughter is a Senior in HS and must live apart from her mother. Yet this woman has a wonderful attitude about life. She looks forward to future surgeries to give her some semblance of a face. She looks forward to the rest of her life. Oprah put it well -- "I have no problems!" If that woman can be optimistic, I sure ought to be!

Nat

November 16th, 2009, 5:13 pm #10

Yes, I too have notice a considerable loss for "do it yourself" stuff in recent years. And I don't know any physical reason really- except for an occasional back problem I really don't have any physical issues limiting what I do- I simply lack the enthusiasm to do things that I once was eager to do. It was something that use to bug me about the older guys I worked with when I was a eager young whipper-snapper who thought everything needed to be done- and just now- and just right- and they seem content to let well enough be. And now I feel I've become one of them.

As for the chimpanzee victim- no, I don't watch Oprah, but I remember reading about that when it happened- as well as a similar case where a man visiting a wildlife refuge was badly injured (actually castrated) by an attacking chimpanzee. People assume because these animals are cute and "people-like" that they are harmless but I've heard many times that chimps are very unpredictable and can even turn on their owner. You even hear of domestic animals like dogs and cats doing this. Hell even people can turn violent so I guess the moral is never let your guard down.