The Spirit of Lady Godiva

The Spirit of Lady Godiva

February 16th, 2006, 9:22 pm #1

I have been enjoying a book of photography I got the other day entitled The Spirit of Lady Godiva. This is a collection of photos taken to give a view of what life might be like in a clothing optional world. Models rehearsed the staged set up privately in the car or whatever, then would go into a public place, usually a landmark, drop their clothes, Harvey would snap the shots, and they would all disperse as quickly as they came in, sometimes without anyone even noticing the nudity.

The photos also have a little story telling about the scene or things that happened while shooting. I am inspired by the book to be a little more creative and fun loving in my daily routine. One picture made me think about how interesting it would be to go to the park, maybe downtown Austin, one day like one is on a lunch break, and find a nice place to sit in the sun and drop the top half of ones dress while eating lunch, and just enjoy the sun and breeze. How would that work out? Would anyone notice? Would the copcycles come and arrest the brave soul with the lust for life? Would others follow suit? I wonder?

John Bayko
John Bayko

February 17th, 2006, 1:15 am #2

If you live in a halfway civilized place in the U.S, someone will notice and tell you to cover up. You'll respond in a French accent that you're desolée, but didn't know you weren't allowed to, then cover up and no blood will have been spilt.

I suppose as an experiment you could measure how many minutes you're left to enjoy yourself...

michaela
michaela

February 18th, 2006, 4:38 pm #3

What is desolée?

I don't think I said it would be 'meeee' who would try this.

meredith
meredith

February 19th, 2006, 2:37 am #4

The literal meaning of 'desolee' is 'desolated.' 'Je suis Desolee' means 'I am sorry.'

liberty
liberty

February 19th, 2006, 3:24 am #5

What is desolée?

I don't think I said it would be 'meeee' who would try this.
http://www.jordanmatter.com/exhibits/de ... name=nudes

Jordan Matters' recent shoot of women without tops in NY seems to answer your question - people barely noticed. Great Photographs.

Nat

February 19th, 2006, 3:36 am #6

Hey- good to see you back Liberty. Don't be such a stranger- we have miss your useful contributions.

February 19th, 2006, 1:15 pm #7

I have been enjoying a book of photography I got the other day entitled The Spirit of Lady Godiva. This is a collection of photos taken to give a view of what life might be like in a clothing optional world. Models rehearsed the staged set up privately in the car or whatever, then would go into a public place, usually a landmark, drop their clothes, Harvey would snap the shots, and they would all disperse as quickly as they came in, sometimes without anyone even noticing the nudity.

The photos also have a little story telling about the scene or things that happened while shooting. I am inspired by the book to be a little more creative and fun loving in my daily routine. One picture made me think about how interesting it would be to go to the park, maybe downtown Austin, one day like one is on a lunch break, and find a nice place to sit in the sun and drop the top half of ones dress while eating lunch, and just enjoy the sun and breeze. How would that work out? Would anyone notice? Would the copcycles come and arrest the brave soul with the lust for life? Would others follow suit? I wonder?
According to
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/uk/ ... 507606.stm

Lady Godiva's ride was a protest that may not have happened

But a love of aesthetics was of little interest to a peasantry striving to keep body and soul together. So when Godiva persuaded her reluctant husband to reduce their tax burden, he agreed to do so at a price.

He pointed out that the ancient Greeks and Romans viewed a nude human body as one of the highest expressions of the perfection of nature. If his dear Lady wife truly believed in her crusade for art, she should lead by example.

If she would ride naked through Coventry market-place at midday as a celebration of the perfection of God's work, he would in return abolish all local taxes save those on horses. To his surprise, she agreed.

On the appointed day, flanked by two fully clothed horsewomen, she rode naked through the market, straight in her saddle, with a composed expression, unashamed of her nudity. The taxes were duly removed.

then...

Regrettably, though, the story of Lady Godiva's ride is almost certainly a myth. The earliest written record of it comes from one Roger of Wendover more than a century after Godiva's death. This medieval scribe is renowned for his exaggeration and politically biased embellishment; more a collector of stories and legends than genuine historian.

Matthew of Westminster, writing in the 14th Century, infers that a miracle took place because the pious lady, in her state of undress, was not observed by anyone.

And it continues...

February 19th, 2006, 2:14 pm #8

The story pisses me off a little.

I like the idea that she would ride nude to protest a tax...but only if it were her idea. But according to the legend it was her husbands idea. So I feel bad about just another situation where the women were treated like property, which they were, even in her high position she is still told to do something she probably didn't really want to do, but for the sake of the people she did it. I think she didn't want to do it because of the part of the story where she says no one will look upon her, and when peeping Thom did, he was struck blind. I hate that part of the legend.

If she had done this on her own, and everyone could have participated, and no one was blinded, and the taxes were lifted, and her husband was made a better leader for the experience...well, in my perfect world.

michaela
michaela

February 19th, 2006, 2:31 pm #9

The literal meaning of 'desolee' is 'desolated.' 'Je suis Desolee' means 'I am sorry.'
Thanks

Bob
Bob

February 19th, 2006, 4:39 pm #10

http://www.jordanmatter.com/exhibits/de ... name=nudes

Jordan Matters' recent shoot of women without tops in NY seems to answer your question - people barely noticed. Great Photographs.
Nothing phases New Yorkers. You could roll a 3 ton turd down Broadway and only the tourists would notice.

I admit, I did like a number of the photographs.