Taxes done?

Taxes done?

Nat

April 12th, 2012, 2:40 am #1

I trust everyone has done their taxes by now. It's the last week you know. I just finish mine. I used TaxAct as I have for the past several years and filed on-line and I must say, it sure beat the hell out to the old way. I use to spend days doing mine because I have a lot of cap gain/losses and distributions and they are a pain to figure because they have different rates depending on how long you've held them. It's so easy to make a mistake that I use to do them over and over to be sure they were right. But now it's just a matter of typing the figures into the computer and it figures all that crap. Some things really are better now (not many, but some). So how do you guys do your taxes now a days?
. . . . .

April 12th, 2012, 12:18 pm #2

Why, yes, our federal returns are all sent out, thank you. Haven't finished the state yet. I still do ours the old fashioned way. Frankly, the difficult part is getting everything together in order to get started. We don't receive all of our 1099s until close to the end of February.

Bob
Bob

April 12th, 2012, 12:45 pm #3

I trust everyone has done their taxes by now. It's the last week you know. I just finish mine. I used TaxAct as I have for the past several years and filed on-line and I must say, it sure beat the hell out to the old way. I use to spend days doing mine because I have a lot of cap gain/losses and distributions and they are a pain to figure because they have different rates depending on how long you've held them. It's so easy to make a mistake that I use to do them over and over to be sure they were right. But now it's just a matter of typing the figures into the computer and it figures all that crap. Some things really are better now (not many, but some). So how do you guys do your taxes now a days?
. . . . .
I still mail paper returns whenever I can. I go to the local library and get the forms and booklets, as they no longer mail those out to taxpayers anymore. I had to do my state return on-line this year, as I couldn't find a paper form for that.

Like I said, old-fashioned. My sons strictly file on-line. Good for them. But I try to do very little of any real consequence on-line (banking, bill-paying, etc.) as I have had problems with virus/malware infections and I don't want my sensitive info. stolen. If and when I have a computer dedicated strictly to such business, maybe I will do it on-line then (I suspect the time will come when that will be the only option). In the meantime, I don't mind supporting my local post office. With all the other things that we grew up disappearing, I wouldn't want to see the option to send and receive mail disappear (same with land-line phones, but it looks like that is a lost cause).

Nat

April 12th, 2012, 1:07 pm #4

Why, yes, our federal returns are all sent out, thank you. Haven't finished the state yet. I still do ours the old fashioned way. Frankly, the difficult part is getting everything together in order to get started. We don't receive all of our 1099s until close to the end of February.
That's why I wait late because of 1099s. They seem to come in much later now and nearly every year Fidelity sends a corrected form in March so if you do it too early you gotten do it all over.

As for state...... dont' got that here in Florida!...... HaHa!
. . . . .

April 12th, 2012, 1:10 pm #5

I still mail paper returns whenever I can. I go to the local library and get the forms and booklets, as they no longer mail those out to taxpayers anymore. I had to do my state return on-line this year, as I couldn't find a paper form for that.

Like I said, old-fashioned. My sons strictly file on-line. Good for them. But I try to do very little of any real consequence on-line (banking, bill-paying, etc.) as I have had problems with virus/malware infections and I don't want my sensitive info. stolen. If and when I have a computer dedicated strictly to such business, maybe I will do it on-line then (I suspect the time will come when that will be the only option). In the meantime, I don't mind supporting my local post office. With all the other things that we grew up disappearing, I wouldn't want to see the option to send and receive mail disappear (same with land-line phones, but it looks like that is a lost cause).
I wonder if everyone will be expected to have a computer sooner or later? I use one at work (wouldn't do it any other way now) but not at home. I don't watch television either.

Nat

April 12th, 2012, 2:20 pm #6

I think it's quickly becoming where everyone will need internet access to function in society. Many of the firms I deal with don't send paper statements anymore and I stopped paying bills by checks long ago. Everything is by EFT.
. . . . .

Nat

April 12th, 2012, 2:24 pm #7

Well if you have a simple form doing it on paper isn't too bad- just some fourth grade adding and subtracting but with investment stuff it really get complicated. There are many variables that interact with each other. Doing this on a computer is so much easier.

As for security, I'm more concern with mail being stolen out of my road-side mail box. I have had that happen- I've never had a problem with online transactions.

None of my kids have a landline phone and all my phoning is by cell or VoIP- free long distance is a great advantage.
. . . . .

April 12th, 2012, 5:02 pm #8

I think it's quickly becoming where everyone will need internet access to function in society. Many of the firms I deal with don't send paper statements anymore and I stopped paying bills by checks long ago. Everything is by EFT.
. . . . .
Doing anything on the internet, including this, is not exactly functioning in society in my book. You might call this a virtual function.

Nat

April 12th, 2012, 6:18 pm #9

If I'm getting my bills paid- that functional!- every bit as functional as doing it by mail!
I guess you dont think an automobile is functional transportation because no horse is pulling it.

. . . . .

April 12th, 2012, 8:22 pm #10

What I meant is that doing something on a computer is not functioning in society. Your computer acquaintances here are virtual friends, not real friends.