Swimming coach suspended after topless incident

Swimming coach suspended after topless incident

Melissa
Melissa

October 16th, 2004, 5:26 pm #1

http://miva.sctimes.com/miva/cgi-bin/mi ... e.mv+1+2+9

Strikes me as kind of overreacting. It was a girl's swim team and a female coach. They all see eachother naked in the locker room anyway and they just swam topfree for 15 minutes as a joke. She didn't make them do it, or even suggest it.

October 16th, 2004, 8:48 pm #2

So, if, say, a student shot one another during PE, their coach would get in jail even though he had nothing to do with it? Is that how all schools work?

peter
peter

October 17th, 2004, 12:41 am #3

As I hang my head in embarrassment.....yep!
The country has become so hung up on lawsuits these days that administrators will hang anyone for anything no matter how ridiculous as a way to cover their own asses.

fashiondreamer
fashiondreamer

October 17th, 2004, 7:51 pm #4

Strikes me as kind of overreacting. It was a girl's swim team and a female coach. They all see eachother naked in the locker room anyway and they just swam topfree for 15 minutes as a joke. She didn't make them do it, or even suggest it.
The link seems to have gone but I did find this elsewhere:

"Rocori coach in hot water after topless practice
October 16, 2004 COACH1016

COLD SPRING, MINN. -- The head girls' swimming and diving coach at Rocori High School has been suspended after several team members swam topless at practice.

Laura Molinari was suspended after Tuesday's incident. School officials say her future employment with the district will be determined when the investigation is complete -- possibly within the next two days.

Molinari says the stunt came as part of what she called "Two-piece Tuesday," meaning the girls wore two-piece suits to practice. That changed when some of the girls decided to swim topless.

Molinari calls it "a swimming prank that got out of hand." She says she had no prior knowledge that the girls would go topless, and the entire team did not participate in the prank.

Molinari is in her first season as the Spartans' head coach after serving as an assistant in 2003.

Associated Press"

What sort of message are we sending these girls? I am embarrassed too.

fashiondreamer
fashiondreamer

October 17th, 2004, 8:00 pm #5

But apparently if (a) you are royal, and (b) it is for charity

"Duchess Of York's Nude Charity Photo Shoot
The Duchess of York is to be photographed wearing nothing but some Cartier jewels and a pair of Jimmy Choo shoes for charity."

then it is ok?

peter
peter

October 17th, 2004, 10:37 pm #6

baffling world we live in isn't!!!

Mike
Mike

October 20th, 2004, 12:56 am #7

The coach didnt even know they had done it and it only lasted 15 minutes and was just a harmless stunt that hurt noone, certainly not a reason to suspend the coach. If I was her, id be pissed. Ya dont suspend a coach for something like that, hell you dont do anything about something like that, ya just shut up and ignore it. Ya only do something about things that hurt people or are breaking the law.

Mike
Mike

October 20th, 2004, 12:59 am #8

So, if, say, a student shot one another during PE, their coach would get in jail even though he had nothing to do with it? Is that how all schools work?
The coach might get in trouble if they were not paying attention to what the students did or if they did not take immediate action once they found out about the incident, but we are talking about topless girls here not kids fricken shooting each other!

Mike
Mike

October 20th, 2004, 1:03 am #9

baffling world we live in isn't!!!
As I understand the incident, the class was all women, it was fairly private and the incident only happened for 15 minutes, the coach had nothing to do with it and nobody was hurt and im sure some of the kids actually enjoyed it so in conclusion I see nothing wrong here, especially not something that would require an act as serious as suspension of a teacher. Thats why these swimsuit rules are so stupid, had the class been clothing optional all along then everybody wouldve probably been topless and been used to the idea and this wouldve never been a problem. Ya dont need swimsuits for pool class anyways, waste of time and money.

JB
JB

October 20th, 2004, 1:24 am #10

The coach didnt even know they had done it and it only lasted 15 minutes and was just a harmless stunt that hurt noone, certainly not a reason to suspend the coach. If I was her, id be pissed. Ya dont suspend a coach for something like that, hell you dont do anything about something like that, ya just shut up and ignore it. Ya only do something about things that hurt people or are breaking the law.
It's rather strange that anyone would care, since the girls probably see each other without tops in the shower.

The reality of the situation is that school administrators will act in order to avoid losing their jobs, esp if the school board consists of conservative members of the community.