Statement to Meredith:

Statement to Meredith:

Michaela
Michaela

January 4th, 2005, 7:12 am #1

For the sake of all the other members of this board and any new people who might come along and wonder about the discussions going on here, I am concerned.

I know only two kinds of people, Orthodox and heterodox. I have been able to have mutual loving and respectful relationships with both kinds my whole life. Occasionally someone comes along to meet me and right from the start they are mean and nasty in the sense that their one agenda is to twist anything and everything I say so that I will doubt myself and my beliefs. That is their game. It doesn’t happen often, but it has happened more than once, and I do recognize it when it does.

So as I said in my opening, to respect those who may be getting quite fatigued with this petty line of discussion, and so as not to continue to clabber up the board with all of it I am going to refer to a single line from a prayer to the Son of God and say---I Will NOT SPEAK OF THY MYSTERY TO THINE ENEMIES---and I will leave you there, Meredith to talk amongst yourself, you can count me out. I am putting you on ignore.

To everyone else---so, what is new in breast health, or New Years resolutions?

Melissa
Melissa

January 8th, 2005, 5:59 am #2

Hey, hate to say it but you guys did start it by saying that we should call the forum the modern communism forum or whiney liberal...forum. The onaly thing that happened before that that I can recal was that someone called the Koran the "terrorist handbook" and she just pointed out that the bible can and has been misued just as badly in our history.

michaela
michaela

January 8th, 2005, 3:06 pm #3

My nine year old son doesn't even say "they started it!" any more. What is the matter with you? Things not exciting enough around here, you want to keep things stirred up? What is the deal?

Melissa
Melissa

January 8th, 2005, 4:11 pm #4

No I've been out of town for a week so I haven't seen everything that's happened around here in the past few days and when I check the board for activity the first thing I see calls a person who I agreed with "mean and nasty" and accuse her of having an agenda to undermine your beliefs.

"right from the start they are mean and nasty in the sense that their one agenda is to twist anything and everything I say so that I will doubt myself and my beliefs."

JB
JB

January 8th, 2005, 5:32 pm #5

Well it's nice to know we were missed.

As for being called a communist, it really doesn't matter unless the one doing the namecalling is an authority on the subject and we value the opinion they rendered. I have been called a right winger AND a communist, so it just goes to show that lots of people don't know what they are talking about.

michaela
michaela

January 8th, 2005, 5:53 pm #6

No I've been out of town for a week so I haven't seen everything that's happened around here in the past few days and when I check the board for activity the first thing I see calls a person who I agreed with "mean and nasty" and accuse her of having an agenda to undermine your beliefs.

"right from the start they are mean and nasty in the sense that their one agenda is to twist anything and everything I say so that I will doubt myself and my beliefs."
Let's just miss the point of the whole post I wrote to Meredith (who is a HE, btw) in which I was attempting to, for the sake of everyone else, get us past the stupid subject we were on. But some here choose to only read the parts they want to read and ignore the purpose of the message. Some just like to keep the pot stirring and not let a thing rest. I am not one of those. I would like to get out of the shark pool now. Y'all can just eat each other. Okay?

Wayne
Wayne

January 8th, 2005, 6:42 pm #7

Well it's nice to know we were missed.

As for being called a communist, it really doesn't matter unless the one doing the namecalling is an authority on the subject and we value the opinion they rendered. I have been called a right winger AND a communist, so it just goes to show that lots of people don't know what they are talking about.
Well, I was called a conservative liberal once by someone from the far left, and when someone who heard him demanded an explanation, he gave a long and rational explanation. I don't remember how it went, but at the time I thought that he might be right. Since then I have payed more attention, and I have found that I agree with some of what the left says and some of what the right says, but almost nothing from the centrists.

I think that the center consists of pragmatists, and the left and right both of idealists, and while I sometimes agree with an idealist and sometimes I disagree with an idealist, I can respect their beliefs. Pragmatists only seem to believe in themselves. Thus, I have come to consider the center the corrupt center.

I have also found that I am opposed to almost any legislation labeled "bipartisan." What that seems to mean is that it favors the political parties over the people or it favors the government over the people. In other words, it is a power grab by the politicians or the government. I don't think I have ever voted for a state constitutional amendment that got over an 80% favorable vote in the state legislature. And no, I don't just use that to decide my vote; we have good voter's pamphlets, although not nearly as good as Oregon, and I read the full text as well as the arguments for and against. Unlike Oregon, we have stupid limits about who can write for and against, and if there is no against argument I am virtually certain to vote against it.

As for you being called a right winger and a communist, did you mean that the same person called you both at the same time, the same person called you one at one time and the other at another time, or one person called you one and another person the other?

It is easy to see how anyone who decides his own beliefs, rather that letting someone else tell him what to believe, can share some beliefs with right wingers and some with communists. What is hard to believe is that someone who used those terms was sophisticated enough to notice that you had some beliefs from each group.

Of course, it could have been a centrist, who didn't have any beliefs himself, hated anyone who had beliefs and hated anyone wouldn't compromise them to agree with the center. I've seen some of those, and they just sling mud without thinking when they find themselves on the losing end.

So, I'm inclined to believe you when you say that the person didn't know what he was talking about, but only because of the pejorative words that he chose to use.

Michelle
Michelle

January 8th, 2005, 9:29 pm #8

Let's just miss the point of the whole post I wrote to Meredith (who is a HE, btw) in which I was attempting to, for the sake of everyone else, get us past the stupid subject we were on. But some here choose to only read the parts they want to read and ignore the purpose of the message. Some just like to keep the pot stirring and not let a thing rest. I am not one of those. I would like to get out of the shark pool now. Y'all can just eat each other. Okay?
You state that others often skip over your points entirely and instead read what they want to read - it sure appears you did the same thing to Melissa after she was attempted to point out who started the communism/board title thread. Your response to her was: "My nine year old son doesn't even say "they started it!" any more. What is the matter with you? Things not exciting enough around here, you want to keep things stirred up? What is the deal?".

Maybe you don't feel that Melissa's point was valid and that your response was justified. If that is the case, then isn't is possible that some of the points that you have made in the past got skipped over because others felt your points to be invalid also? After all, we all can't be right all of the time!

I am guilty of the skipping over points accusation that you make - I know that I have done this before. Usually it happens when I am to busy trying to get my point across - I forget to acknowledge the other persons' point. Doesn't make it right of course, but it does at least explain why it happens....I would bet that a lot of people fall into the same trap.

peter
peter

January 8th, 2005, 9:51 pm #9

<<read with the good intentions meant.>>
In choosing to utilize such a phrase as an intro you attempt to soft peddle a negative that is intended to be negative knowing that it will be recieved negatively but not wanting anyone to see you in negative light.

In other word...horse pucky!

michaela
michaela

January 8th, 2005, 10:28 pm #10

You state that others often skip over your points entirely and instead read what they want to read - it sure appears you did the same thing to Melissa after she was attempted to point out who started the communism/board title thread. Your response to her was: "My nine year old son doesn't even say "they started it!" any more. What is the matter with you? Things not exciting enough around here, you want to keep things stirred up? What is the deal?".

Maybe you don't feel that Melissa's point was valid and that your response was justified. If that is the case, then isn't is possible that some of the points that you have made in the past got skipped over because others felt your points to be invalid also? After all, we all can't be right all of the time!

I am guilty of the skipping over points accusation that you make - I know that I have done this before. Usually it happens when I am to busy trying to get my point across - I forget to acknowledge the other persons' point. Doesn't make it right of course, but it does at least explain why it happens....I would bet that a lot of people fall into the same trap.
You know, I was talking to Meredith, but since you all have decided to horn in and keep the argument going, funny too, you probably don't even know what Meredith and I were talking about, I'll join back in. You just want to fight with me for the sake of fighting, or you are trying to get me to leave altogether, and that isn't going to happen...

So for the sake of argument, if perhaps it is true that I skipped over Melissa's point, then I will redirect here...

Melissa, What was it about Meredith's post that you agreed with? (there are a bunch of them on page two if you care to study up) The Russian government shouldn't tell people what they should believe. That the Orthodox are persecuting the people? That I am a tyrant? What exactly about Meredith's and my long conversation did you want to comment upon? Care to expound?

And Michelle, do you agree too, as you always do, if it disagrees with me? If so, on what points? Let's just have a party with this since it isn't going away. I have to go out for awhile, but I will be all ears when I return. Let's rock and roll!