"State of the Black Union"

"State of the Black Union"

Bob
Bob

March 1st, 2009, 3:43 am #1

Today was held the so-called "State of the Black Union" event, organized by talk host Tavis Smiley and featuring panels of notable Black academicians, authors and politicians. Today's event, held in Los Angeles, CA and broadcast on C-SPAN, was noted to be the 10th such annual event.

My reaction, having watched and heard speakers such as Jesse Jackson, Dr. Cornel West and Randall Robinson, is that it was much the same rhetoric that was long on emotion, victimhood and blaming others, and short on any real solutions or personal accountability. The speakers often called for speaking "the truth" and having the "courage to face the real, underlying issues". But, as usual, I heard very little truth and saw very little courage. It is just too easy for Black Americans to blame Whites, government, media and racism for the many problems that afflict it. It is simply unpalatable for many Black Americans to admit that they are largely to blame for many of their predicaments: Blacks assaulting and murdering other Blacks, not only in U.S. but in Africa and other parts of the world; Black children unparented/underparented, thus ill-equipped to succeed in school or in life; Black Americans making poor life decisions (e.g., crime, drugs, school drop-outs, teen/out-of-wedlock pregnancies, seeking fast money and the easy way, filling America's prisons due to their own poor choices/actions and seldom due to "Whitey's prejudice").

With poor leadership like this, is it any wonder that Black Americans continue to struggle, fail and die? Even Obama cannot save a group led by such dishonest and ill-advised spokespersons.

Nat

March 1st, 2009, 4:08 am #2

Well I agree- when so many black kids- who go to the same school that whites do now- would rather drop out and hang around gangs in the street than get a good education and a good job. Blame the parents- or lack of- but what will these kids do- but grow up to be the very same sorry parents. The cycle continues.

cool beans boi
cool beans boi

March 1st, 2009, 4:24 pm #3

Today was held the so-called "State of the Black Union" event, organized by talk host Tavis Smiley and featuring panels of notable Black academicians, authors and politicians. Today's event, held in Los Angeles, CA and broadcast on C-SPAN, was noted to be the 10th such annual event.

My reaction, having watched and heard speakers such as Jesse Jackson, Dr. Cornel West and Randall Robinson, is that it was much the same rhetoric that was long on emotion, victimhood and blaming others, and short on any real solutions or personal accountability. The speakers often called for speaking "the truth" and having the "courage to face the real, underlying issues". But, as usual, I heard very little truth and saw very little courage. It is just too easy for Black Americans to blame Whites, government, media and racism for the many problems that afflict it. It is simply unpalatable for many Black Americans to admit that they are largely to blame for many of their predicaments: Blacks assaulting and murdering other Blacks, not only in U.S. but in Africa and other parts of the world; Black children unparented/underparented, thus ill-equipped to succeed in school or in life; Black Americans making poor life decisions (e.g., crime, drugs, school drop-outs, teen/out-of-wedlock pregnancies, seeking fast money and the easy way, filling America's prisons due to their own poor choices/actions and seldom due to "Whitey's prejudice").

With poor leadership like this, is it any wonder that Black Americans continue to struggle, fail and die? Even Obama cannot save a group led by such dishonest and ill-advised spokespersons.

Bill Cosby has been talking about these problems for years. He usually gets scorned by the black media

Brandon
Brandon

March 1st, 2009, 6:45 pm #4

Until these so called black leaders understand that is long as 70% of black children are born to single, unwed mothers there is absolutely no chance of overcoming the many problems of urban America.

Bob
Bob

March 2nd, 2009, 2:18 pm #5

Bill Cosby has been talking about these problems for years. He usually gets scorned by the black media
As I watched and listened to the various speakers Saturday, I too wished that Smiley had included a more diverse range of opinions. Namely, some Black Conservative voices. Bill Cosby immediatelty came to mind. Unlike some others (Walter Williams, Rev. Jesse Peterson), Cosby has the credibility among Black Americans for not being a "sell-out". You can disagree with Cosby, but you can't deny that he truly cares for his people or claim that he serves the White establishment. The man is very bright and learned. Also, Cosby can speak in that demonstrative, semi-preachy way that seems to resonate so much with Black American audiences.

Another good candidate would have been author and radio commentator, Larry Elder. It would have been so much more entertaining had the panel included this range of viewpoints . . . intermixed together on the stage rather than the usual separation of "Liberal" on this side and "Conservative" on that side. Can you imagine that Cornel West and Al Sharpton would have to debate with Cosby and Elder? Man, that would have been good!