Something to argue over

Something to argue over

Marv
Marv

December 14th, 2004, 11:36 pm #1

In the TV show 'THE SWAN' are they helping out a few unfortunate and unhappy women or are they trying to pass the message that every woman needs implants and a body make over. in other words a big commercial. The only reason I have watched it is while in Alaska the TV shows was few, and the shows the wife would watch was a lot fewer. I didn't like the message it pushing.
Back in TX now, in JAN will be Nat's country

Nat

December 15th, 2004, 12:41 am #2

I totally agree Marv. Aging and variations in appearance used to be accepted as a normal humanistic thing. Now it seems to be unacceptable to be less than perfect. I recall a couple years ago a radio diskjockey proposed a law that would ban 'ugly' people on public streets during daylight. He proposed it as a joke but he said he was amazed how many people took him seriously and thought it was a good idea. It's a rather fighting trend if carried to an extreme. Imagine if someday some committee decided a handsome dude like me wasn't handsome enough to be taking up space?

Gosh what a lost that would be to society!

Cassie
Cassie

December 15th, 2004, 12:43 am #3

In the TV show 'THE SWAN' are they helping out a few unfortunate and unhappy women or are they trying to pass the message that every woman needs implants and a body make over. in other words a big commercial. The only reason I have watched it is while in Alaska the TV shows was few, and the shows the wife would watch was a lot fewer. I didn't like the message it pushing.
Back in TX now, in JAN will be Nat's country
"In the TV show 'THE SWAN' are they helping out a few unfortunate and unhappy women or are they trying to pass the message that every woman needs implants and a body make over. in other words a big commercial. The only reason I have watched it is while in Alaska the TV shows was few, and the shows the wife would watch was a lot fewer. I didn't like the message it pushing.
Back in TX now, in JAN will be Nat's country"

Blech! I saw the season finale of that last year and I couldn't stand it. They're not helping those unfortunate unhappy women at all. First off, most of the women got UGLY after surgery -- and most of them *weren't* ugly to begin with! The show is pushing the idea that these women's problems were caused by their being "ugly" (they weren't!) and that plastic surgery is the answer (it isn't!).

What those women really needed was some good intensive therapy and, in some cases, for their husbands to get smacked upside the head for being inconsiderate, unsupportive jerks.

Wayne
Wayne

December 15th, 2004, 4:18 am #4

I totally agree Marv. Aging and variations in appearance used to be accepted as a normal humanistic thing. Now it seems to be unacceptable to be less than perfect. I recall a couple years ago a radio diskjockey proposed a law that would ban 'ugly' people on public streets during daylight. He proposed it as a joke but he said he was amazed how many people took him seriously and thought it was a good idea. It's a rather fighting trend if carried to an extreme. Imagine if someday some committee decided a handsome dude like me wasn't handsome enough to be taking up space?

Gosh what a lost that would be to society!
Remember when Newton Minow was chairman of the FCC and gave a speech on May 9, 1961 to the National Association of Broadcasters. You can find it at http://www.janda.org/b20/News%20article ... stland.htm

Here is an excerpt:

When television is good, nothing--not the theater, not the magazines or newspapers--nothing is better.

But when television is bad, nothing is worse. I invite you to sit down in front of your television set when your station goes on the air and stay there without a book, magazine, newspaper, profit and-loss sheet or rating book to distract you--and keep your eyes glued to that set until the station signs off. I can assure you that you will observe a vast wasteland.

You will see a procession of game shows, violence, audience-participation shows, formula comedies about totally unbelievable families, blood and thunder, mayhem, violence, sadism, murder, western badmen, western good men, private eyes, gangsters, more violence and cartoons. And, endlessly, commercials--many screaming, cajoling and offending. And most of all, boredom. True, you will see a few things you will enjoy. But they will be very, very few. And if you think I exaggerate, try it.

It hasn't improved in the last 43 years, has it?

At about the same time as the speech, one of the Seattle, Washington disk jockeys said that "Vashion Island has broken loose from its moorings and is drifting toward Tacoma." He got a lot of calls from people worried about their friends and relatives on Vashion Island. Then he got a call from a listener in West Seattle who said that it wasn't true. She could look out her window and see that it hadn't moved.

He said, on the air, that he didn't realize he had so many stupid listeners. This got him more phone calls, of course.

He was the same DJ who once said that he was going to have a contest. First prize, a week in Humptulips. Second prize, two weeks in Humptulips. Humptulips is tiny, and about 16 miles north of Hoquiamm both on US101 in Washington state.

He also once said that he didn't think that there was any organized crime in Seattle, and invited anyone who had any evidence that he was wrong to call on the newsroom line, bypassing any call screening, and he would talk to them on the air. He got one call from someone who said that he wouldn't have his job as a bodyguard if there wasn't any organized crime here. But overall, there wasn't much evidence of organized crime.

The next morning, someone else did his show. He spent the three hours talking to the police. Someone had put a rifle bullet through his driver side wing window and out the windshield while he was pulling into the sttation parking lot the next morning.

Nat

December 15th, 2004, 5:36 am #5

Yes Wayne, I'm afraid this is but another sign of the deterioration of society today. Back when I was a kid 50 years ago you were taught not to make fun of people's names or appearances or handicaps. Now talkjocks like Limbaugh and Imus do this everyday and millions of people think its funny.

Not long ago I heard of a radio station that ran a "Ugly Bride" contest where listeners voted on bride photos in the newspaper. What could be more cruel than to ruin a woman's wedding by "rewarding" her the title of "Ugliest Bride"? How would these guys feel if it was their wife or daughter who were ridiculed on what should be their happiest day? So much for humanity and civility in the 21st century.

michaela
michaela

December 15th, 2004, 2:21 pm #6

"In the TV show 'THE SWAN' are they helping out a few unfortunate and unhappy women or are they trying to pass the message that every woman needs implants and a body make over. in other words a big commercial. The only reason I have watched it is while in Alaska the TV shows was few, and the shows the wife would watch was a lot fewer. I didn't like the message it pushing.
Back in TX now, in JAN will be Nat's country"

Blech! I saw the season finale of that last year and I couldn't stand it. They're not helping those unfortunate unhappy women at all. First off, most of the women got UGLY after surgery -- and most of them *weren't* ugly to begin with! The show is pushing the idea that these women's problems were caused by their being "ugly" (they weren't!) and that plastic surgery is the answer (it isn't!).

What those women really needed was some good intensive therapy and, in some cases, for their husbands to get smacked upside the head for being inconsiderate, unsupportive jerks.
I never saw The Swan, but have seen Extreme Makeover. I thought the same. It was a commercial. There were a few people on the show that had some serious defects corrected. But the fact that they had everything else done as well as the messed up parts just promoted the idea that there just isn't anything good about getting older, so get yourself fixed already! And while all this is going on the local plastic surgeon comes on the air during the commercial breaks with his own commercial. Isn't it still considered unethical to advertise your medical or legal practice? It used to be. What happened?

bn
bn

December 15th, 2004, 3:37 pm #7

Yes Wayne, I'm afraid this is but another sign of the deterioration of society today. Back when I was a kid 50 years ago you were taught not to make fun of people's names or appearances or handicaps. Now talkjocks like Limbaugh and Imus do this everyday and millions of people think its funny.

Not long ago I heard of a radio station that ran a "Ugly Bride" contest where listeners voted on bride photos in the newspaper. What could be more cruel than to ruin a woman's wedding by "rewarding" her the title of "Ugliest Bride"? How would these guys feel if it was their wife or daughter who were ridiculed on what should be their happiest day? So much for humanity and civility in the 21st century.
At the same time, our society was not so politically correct as to call your janitor a sanitation engineer (and it gets worse). It almost seems like the more politically correct we get, the less we actually respect other people.

michaela
michaela

December 15th, 2004, 4:33 pm #8

My thoughts exactly. It seems the more tolerant and PC everyone says they are, the more intolerance I see, everywhere.

Nat

December 15th, 2004, 4:51 pm #9

I never saw The Swan, but have seen Extreme Makeover. I thought the same. It was a commercial. There were a few people on the show that had some serious defects corrected. But the fact that they had everything else done as well as the messed up parts just promoted the idea that there just isn't anything good about getting older, so get yourself fixed already! And while all this is going on the local plastic surgeon comes on the air during the commercial breaks with his own commercial. Isn't it still considered unethical to advertise your medical or legal practice? It used to be. What happened?
>"Isn't it still considered unethical to advertise your medical or legal practice?"<

No, it was never illegal, but it was prohibited by their professional code of conduct.

>"What happened?"<

They changed the code!

It was illegal to advertise prescription drugs to the public and the drug industry lobbied (ie- bribed) congress into changing the law. One of the worse ideas ever in my view. One reason drugs cost so much is to pay for all that advertising.

michaela
michaela

December 15th, 2004, 6:07 pm #10

Yes, that is what I asked...wasn't it considered unethical? So they changed their ethics? Of course the only ads I see are the ones from plastic surgeons and ambulance chasing lawyers. I guess it is okay for them to advertise on TV since they probably were never operating under any code of ethics to begin with.

As for drug ads...oy! Thank goodness I don't spent too much time watching TV. There are so many ads on during the tiny amount of time I do watch (CSI, Boston Legal) that I could get to thinking I had all these problems they have a cure for, but I can't get past the fact that the side effects seem worse than the disease.