Smart Car

Smart Car

cool beans boi
cool beans boi

January 18th, 2008, 5:48 pm #1

So has anyone seen this new "smart car" imported from France?
It seats two and gets 41 MPH. Great for city communters.
it is about time he get away from wasteful SUV's

http://www.smartusa.com/

Nat

January 18th, 2008, 7:41 pm #2

It will be interesting to see if Americas can wean themselves from big cars- or worse SUVs. Of course, VW-Beetles weren't much bigger than that and they were very popular with young people in the late 1960s but that was a different time and there wasn't so much concern about safety as now.

cool beans boi
cool beans boi

January 18th, 2008, 7:50 pm #3

They claim that this car is safe since it has a NASCAR type roll cage in it. I still would not want to get it out on route 80, (or should I say Route 95 for you Florida people but in the city it should be ideal.

Nat

January 18th, 2008, 10:12 pm #4

Well there's just something unsettling about looking out your window and just seeing hubcaps around you!

Bob
Bob

January 19th, 2008, 2:23 am #5

The Smart Car resembles the other car I saw on the news this past week . . the India-made Nano. Costs just $2,500, and I'm sure gets great gas mileage. The only problem I have with them (other than getting into the things -- I struggled to get into the Pontiac Solstice or that little BMW roadster) is the safety. They look like, one wreck and just bury me in the thing . . casket with wheels!

Nat

January 19th, 2008, 2:59 am #6

Well it would be nice for around the town- if only others would scale down as well.
What is ridiculous is how many people insist on driving these big SUVs when they have no need for them. These things were suppose to be for "off-road" driving but I bet 80% of them never leave a paved road. They are just macho-status things. And while they may make their diver feel safe and macho- they make everyone around him less-safe because they obstruct the vision of car drivers- can't see over them- can't see around them. And ofcourse if you get hit by one you get flattened.

What ever happened to the station wagon? Remember those? They gave you plenty of room and cargo space without obstructing view and seeming so menacing as SUVs.

Marseil
Marseil

January 19th, 2008, 6:35 pm #7

Yes, there are quite many of them sold in Europe. They are manufactured by a JV between Swatch and Mercedes (this for the quality and security reassurance). When inside, you feel like in a normal size car, and are even comfortable driving on a highway.

Marseil.

Marseil
Marseil

January 19th, 2008, 6:37 pm #8

The Smart Car resembles the other car I saw on the news this past week . . the India-made Nano. Costs just $2,500, and I'm sure gets great gas mileage. The only problem I have with them (other than getting into the things -- I struggled to get into the Pontiac Solstice or that little BMW roadster) is the safety. They look like, one wreck and just bury me in the thing . . casket with wheels!
As far as I understand, the Tata Nano is a different story. It is much larger than a Smart, but made with low coast techniques and materials. I've read from various newspaper sources it could not pass European anti pollution as such. To pass these tests, it would require extensive modifications, and then become more expensive.

Marseil.

cool beans boi
cool beans boi

January 21st, 2008, 1:33 pm #9

Well it would be nice for around the town- if only others would scale down as well.
What is ridiculous is how many people insist on driving these big SUVs when they have no need for them. These things were suppose to be for "off-road" driving but I bet 80% of them never leave a paved road. They are just macho-status things. And while they may make their diver feel safe and macho- they make everyone around him less-safe because they obstruct the vision of car drivers- can't see over them- can't see around them. And ofcourse if you get hit by one you get flattened.

What ever happened to the station wagon? Remember those? They gave you plenty of room and cargo space without obstructing view and seeming so menacing as SUVs.
My mom has a 99 Subaru sport wagon. Great little car. It was AWD and enough storage and seating room for four. I would love to see the large Station Wagons make a come back.

Nat

January 21st, 2008, 3:46 pm #10

As I recall, it was the fuel economy requirements passed in the late 1970s that killed the station wagon.
Manufacturers lobbied congress to exclude trucks and "special purpose vehicles" from the fuel limits- and then they invented the SUV as a "special purpose vehicle" to get around this requirement so it didn't matter how big a engine or how much gas they used.