Sightings and Trends

Sightings and Trends

Charlie
Charlie

September 14th, 2005, 5:38 pm #1

The warm weather here in central Pennsylvania has been a delight for fashon watching, and I think I've noticed a dividing line by age with brafreedom. In the past few trips to the market, it seems those about 25 or older are more prone to do without, but not those younger than that.

I've seen nearly a dozen women from their mid-20's to grey-hair/retirement age comfortably going about in everything from the thin-loop-around-neck tube-top sort of thing and t-shirts to sun dresses, all sans bra. The younger ones may have layered tank tops and y-backs, but all were wearing a full bra or strapless type.

In one case, a early 30's type in a beautiful gauzy flower print sundress was clearly braless (neck-tie halter type front and dark, dark areolae) with apparently a black thong against her already medium dark skin. Her daughter, late teen-ish, had on a strappy bra, Y-back, and tank on top of that.

In another, a grey haired grandmom in bermuda shorts and t-shirt was with her teenage grandaughter. The 15 or so girl had on a loop neck top with open shoulders and upper back, but it was tight, and the strapless whatever beneath it clearly constricted her.

It seems age counts for somthing for fashon these days, but I'd be hard pressed to say the older women were all ex-hippy types. From the looks and wardrobes I saw, I'd vote for self-confidence applied to fashon.

Nat

September 14th, 2005, 6:17 pm #2

I've commented many times here about how "wedded" today's teens and young women are to bras now- wearing them even with casual tops that were routinely worn brafree by their '70s era moms.

This is the exact opposite of the way it was in the '60s & '70s when only the under-30 crowd went brafree while older women stayed bound up in traditional undergarments.

And it was not just hippies doing it- at it's peak brafreedom was quite a mainstream fashion. In fact many contemporary TV stars of the 1970s including Judy Carne, Goldie Hawn, Bonnie Franklin, Marie Thomas, Adrienne Barbeau, Farrah Fawcett, Kate Jackson and Jaclyn Smith routinely appeared brafree on their shows.

Gee, where are they now?

Mike
Mike

September 14th, 2005, 9:07 pm #3

What really bugs me is the fact that young women will wear 2-3 layers of tops, two being some sort of shirt or tank top and the third being a bra when its like 90+ outside and they clearly look like their bodies are constricted and they look like theyd be burning up bounded in all that stuff and im wondering what these girls are thinking and what their parents are thinking for letting them wear stuff that confines their bodies like that and probably makes them hot and uncomfortable. Their health and saftey is more important than what their peers think about them.

JB
JB

September 14th, 2005, 9:15 pm #4

Yes and some women will comment that I am wearing too much for a warm day, but if they consider that they have the bra and two or more tops, they have as much on as I have.

Anonymous
Anonymous

September 14th, 2005, 9:52 pm #5

The same generation gap exists here in Maine; forty would seem to be about the dividing line.

Meredith
Meredith

September 14th, 2005, 9:53 pm #6

I did not intend for the message above to be anonymous.

Nat

September 14th, 2005, 10:20 pm #7

The same generation gap exists here in Maine; forty would seem to be about the dividing line.
>"forty would seem to be about the dividing line."

Yes, that's about right. A forty year old would have been a teenager in the early 1980s which was about the last of the 'brafree era" by my observations. So women younger than 40 just don't remember when it was common to go brafree in public.

And sadly, that age grows older each year, as do we all.

John Bayko
John Bayko

September 15th, 2005, 2:13 am #8

The warm weather here in central Pennsylvania has been a delight for fashon watching, and I think I've noticed a dividing line by age with brafreedom. In the past few trips to the market, it seems those about 25 or older are more prone to do without, but not those younger than that.

I've seen nearly a dozen women from their mid-20's to grey-hair/retirement age comfortably going about in everything from the thin-loop-around-neck tube-top sort of thing and t-shirts to sun dresses, all sans bra. The younger ones may have layered tank tops and y-backs, but all were wearing a full bra or strapless type.

In one case, a early 30's type in a beautiful gauzy flower print sundress was clearly braless (neck-tie halter type front and dark, dark areolae) with apparently a black thong against her already medium dark skin. Her daughter, late teen-ish, had on a strappy bra, Y-back, and tank on top of that.

In another, a grey haired grandmom in bermuda shorts and t-shirt was with her teenage grandaughter. The 15 or so girl had on a loop neck top with open shoulders and upper back, but it was tight, and the strapless whatever beneath it clearly constricted her.

It seems age counts for somthing for fashon these days, but I'd be hard pressed to say the older women were all ex-hippy types. From the looks and wardrobes I saw, I'd vote for self-confidence applied to fashon.
It seems that these days, bras are partially a declaration of womanhood for teenagers. It is a declaration that they are no longer girls. And naturally, in order to make that declaration, they must be visible, at least some of the time.

There's probably social conventions for them to justify this attitude as well, such as fear of being labeled "slutty" if they don't have bras, but people are much better at rationalizing than being rational.

I think it's a similar thing to the popularity of boxer shorts among young men. Briefs are considered things that boys wear, boxers are "grown-up". Possibly part of this is from American television shows, which always show men and teenagers in boxers because the audience (and possibly actors) get squeamish about too much exposure, but young boys wear briefs.

That, plus the fear that small underwear or swinsuits is "gay", and that is still especially dreadful.

JB
JB

September 15th, 2005, 3:27 am #9

I think all those things are true and there is also the feeling that men and boys are not supposed to pay too much attention to their appearance because they might be perceived as gay or effeminate if they do and also I have heard young men say that it is not appropriate for males to try to be "sexy".

Charlie
Charlie

September 15th, 2005, 4:14 am #10

Quote: "it is not appropriate for males to try to be "sexy"."

Yep, boxers sure can fill that need... then again, I know some lovely ladies who find them alluring.

But for some beaches in Europe perhaps, the male equivalent of the thong, AKA the Banana Hanger, simply generates laughter from men and women alike. Sexy it ain't. So, unless you are on a school swim team, skip the speedos, please.