Should we archive this forum???

Should we archive this forum???

Archie
Archie

January 2nd, 2004, 8:51 pm #1

Noticed that we are getting a number of pages long here.

Should we archive some of older posts???

Nat

January 2nd, 2004, 9:01 pm #2

I'm not sure I understand what your concern is. The back pages ARE the archive.

Archie
Archie

January 2nd, 2004, 11:47 pm #3

I was just wondering that since there are like 30 plus pages if the page wouldn't load faster for us 56k people if we took an arbitrary date, like 9/30 and copied all of those posts to another webpage and just kept everything from 10/1/03 on on this page(s).

Just an idea.

Nat

January 2nd, 2004, 11:57 pm #4

You only load the front page- you don't load a back page unless you click on it's number- so it doesn't matter how many back pages there are, it doesn't effect your speed. All the back pages do is take up a little extra space on NW54's server, and I'm sure they don't mind that for a worthy thing as BFF.

Alteior
Alteior

January 6th, 2004, 12:08 pm #5

I'm not sure I understand what your concern is. The back pages ARE the archive.
I happened a couple of times to end up in a hopeless search for what somebody once wrote, without me having it printed and filed at the time. I wonder whether it would be possible to export (and update) the whole lot into a word-document in order to allow some lookup, and to make it available somewhere. There are a tremendous lot of very valuable comments, opinions and links that are burried now under more than 30 pages. It is an archive, yes, but it lacks the search instruments an archive should have to become really workable.

Nat

January 6th, 2004, 2:13 pm #6

The only way I know this could be done is to download each post individually and paste them into a text file.
Anyone wishing to undertake this project has my blessings!