Should PE class be top optional?

Should PE class be top optional?

Chardok Chark
Chardok Chark

May 24th, 2003, 10:24 pm #1

Please don't waste three replies going on about how the question is phrased..

Anudist
Anudist

May 25th, 2003, 2:52 am #2

I think it would be great but is NOT likly to ever occur; at least in my lifetime.

Whereas the common conception, albeit maybe "flawed", is that a bra is for support. Physical Education classes would tend to pull for MORE support and therefore the necessity of wearing a BRA in such a class.

Having had the opportunity to do some international travel, I have visited many schools across the world and for the most part found the schools to be similar in the aspect of the interaction of the children. I have never seen a class, even in more permissible societies such as France, Germany, Romania, or Hungary where topfreedom is practiced in school.

The same young lady may practice topfreedom while at the beach but when in school ---she conforms more to the norm.

Therefore, although I as a nudist who participates in many sports au naturel and think that more sports should be this way, do not see Topfreedomness ever happening in a school setting.

:(

Speaking of sports where nudity should be shown:

Can you imagine nude gymanastics. In such an exhibition, the spectators would not only be able to see exceptional physical skill but they would also be able to see what the body must do in order to achieve that skill. A spectator would be able to spot the muscle structure needed to form an iron cross or the strenght required to perform on the balance beam. Additionally, a judge would be able to judge not only the skill but the body that brought that skill.

Can you imagine that the IOC would ever condone such an exhibition? It would be a thing of beauty to see but I don't think it will ever happen.

Nat
Nat

May 25th, 2003, 3:10 am #3

Seems like I remember reading many years ago that in Sweden or Denmark or Germany or one of those countries, girls did PE topfree. Probably doesn't happen anymore. While Europe is much more liberal about nudity then the U.S., they aren't as liberal as they use to be years ago.

As for nude gymnastics, the I.O.C. seems to forget that the original Olympics in Greece were done in the nude!

raza
raza

May 25th, 2003, 3:34 am #4

School isn't a place for nudity...

Mike
Mike

May 25th, 2003, 3:56 am #5

I think it would be great but is NOT likly to ever occur; at least in my lifetime.

Whereas the common conception, albeit maybe "flawed", is that a bra is for support. Physical Education classes would tend to pull for MORE support and therefore the necessity of wearing a BRA in such a class.

Having had the opportunity to do some international travel, I have visited many schools across the world and for the most part found the schools to be similar in the aspect of the interaction of the children. I have never seen a class, even in more permissible societies such as France, Germany, Romania, or Hungary where topfreedom is practiced in school.

The same young lady may practice topfreedom while at the beach but when in school ---she conforms more to the norm.

Therefore, although I as a nudist who participates in many sports au naturel and think that more sports should be this way, do not see Topfreedomness ever happening in a school setting.

:(

Speaking of sports where nudity should be shown:

Can you imagine nude gymanastics. In such an exhibition, the spectators would not only be able to see exceptional physical skill but they would also be able to see what the body must do in order to achieve that skill. A spectator would be able to spot the muscle structure needed to form an iron cross or the strenght required to perform on the balance beam. Additionally, a judge would be able to judge not only the skill but the body that brought that skill.

Can you imagine that the IOC would ever condone such an exhibition? It would be a thing of beauty to see but I don't think it will ever happen.
Yes, it would be one hell of a change for schools, but I dont see it happening, unless I was in charge *wink wink* mostly because alot of the parents would have a fit if they did and god forbid our schools ever piss off the parents. I dont think it would be bad if kids could at least have the option of going topfree to school, because honestly in my honest opinion, only about 5% would actually do it, because most kids are modest these days and most parents would go psycho stalker on the school if they let their kids go topfree and would do the same to their kids if they went to school like that. Personally I dont see the problem with it. I think when schools worry about such things as this they forget that a school is a place for learning and I feel the students should be as comfortable and happy as they can be, because that will allow them to work harder, I would give them this comfort as long as they worked their asses off, therefore schools should let kids be topfree in class, because it would help kids get used to seeing many different body types and the problem that schools like elementary schools and middle schools have with kids always bitchin about what their friends wear, well this would be gone! Also why waste 100's of dollars of money for clothes for kids for school when you could just give em a pair of shoes, put some dinky shorts on them and just send em to school with their backpacks and books. Besides most of the time it would help on hot days or days when the air conditioners didnt work, that would solve that problem right there, just let em wear shorts and drink lots of water in class, saves the electric bill. Basically what im saying is I feel school is a place to learn and as long as kids are learning, who gives a real crap what they are wearing honestly. I think schools would let their kids come naked to school if they didnt think they would be humpin each other in the hallways.

Nat
Nat

May 25th, 2003, 3:58 am #6

School isn't a place for nudity...
So kids should take gym showers with their clothes on?

It really depends on the societal attitude. There was a time even in this country when same-sex communal nudity was common and taken for granted. In the 1950s I learn to swim at my local YMCA with 20 other naked boys and continued to swim there that way for years. Swimsuit were never allowed in the Y-pool. Also at summer camp in the lake. Our school didn't have a pool, but I was told at those that did, no suits were worn. And ofcourse, we all got communal showers after every gym class, and no-one seem in a rush to get dressed in the locker room.

Somewhere about 20 years ago, all this changed, and now such nudity seems to be a thing of the past. And kids grow up hyper-shy about showing their body. I think this is why long baggy clothes are so popular now.

Mike
Mike

May 25th, 2003, 4:02 am #7

Seems like I remember reading many years ago that in Sweden or Denmark or Germany or one of those countries, girls did PE topfree. Probably doesn't happen anymore. While Europe is much more liberal about nudity then the U.S., they aren't as liberal as they use to be years ago.

As for nude gymnastics, the I.O.C. seems to forget that the original Olympics in Greece were done in the nude!
Yeah it seems like other countries are catching up with us because they are adopting our culture and society too much and now are being corrupted by our modest and moral ways and its just really sad.

Mike
Mike

May 25th, 2003, 4:06 am #8

So kids should take gym showers with their clothes on?

It really depends on the societal attitude. There was a time even in this country when same-sex communal nudity was common and taken for granted. In the 1950s I learn to swim at my local YMCA with 20 other naked boys and continued to swim there that way for years. Swimsuit were never allowed in the Y-pool. Also at summer camp in the lake. Our school didn't have a pool, but I was told at those that did, no suits were worn. And ofcourse, we all got communal showers after every gym class, and no-one seem in a rush to get dressed in the locker room.

Somewhere about 20 years ago, all this changed, and now such nudity seems to be a thing of the past. And kids grow up hyper-shy about showing their body. I think this is why long baggy clothes are so popular now.
Thats what happens when you elect conservative people into office and you hire liberals into the school district, everything goes to hell and the students usually pay for it. Thats the way it is at my school, you show off too much skin, they go all paranoid and I just have to stop and ask myself "what the hell is their problem?" or "what drug are they taking?". The Y doesnt even do nude swimming anymore or have any nudity at its camps, because its either too goddamned modest or it worries too much what each parent or person thinks about kids bein nude at their places.

Nat

May 25th, 2003, 4:21 am #9

Well actually it was a few isolated but well publicized cases of molestations that occurred in the early 1980s which resulted in some law suits. Suddenly there was a national hysteria that every adult who worked with kids was a pedophile. It wasn't true of course, but it brought to an end just about all institutional nudity. I've been told that many school don't even have showers anymore. Kids just go off to class all sweaty from gym. Crazy!

Mike
Mike

May 25th, 2003, 4:21 am #10

All the Y had to do was increase security and enforce their rules more stringently and this would never have happened. That idea works because it happens at nudist camps all the time, you never hear about anything like that happening there because of their tight security and if it does happen, the person is kicked out immediately and is not let back in ever. If they had just done this and not filed any lawsuits then this would have never happened. I beleive it is the actions of the adults with the kids that needs to be observed, not the nudity itself.

As for the thing with P.E showers, that is just plain nasty and I think everyone should take a shower in front of EVERYONE!! I mean what the hell are they afraid of? I think schools really need to go back to this because it is not fun to go around school all sweaty just because they wont give you a few minutes in the shower. We dont at my school because there is just simply not enough time and if there was then we would do it.