severe ads/spam/insertions on forum website

severe ads/spam/insertions on forum website

Pat
Pat

December 21st, 2003, 6:57 am #1

Tonight I experienced about the worst flurry of pop-ups and unwanted unclicked downloads that I have ever experienced on the Internet, and I experienced it on this forum. Several times in a row the popups took over and made their garbage website be my homepage. I had to reboot my computer several times in order to unfreeze the screen. Nat, this will destroy this forum if this continues. Just thought you'ld want to know.

Nat

December 21st, 2003, 8:33 am #2

You need a good pop-up killer.

Try: http://www.proxomitron.info/files/index.shtml

michaela
michaela

December 21st, 2003, 10:33 pm #3

We used to have a pop-up problem too, but it wasn't just on this forum, it was on the internet as a whole. Peter installed some pop swat somethingie, and they are mostly gone, about 97%.

John Bayko
John Bayko

December 22nd, 2003, 2:15 am #4

You need a good pop-up killer.

Try: http://www.proxomitron.info/files/index.shtml
You could also use a better browser than Microsoft's. Most Microsoft software does a lot of things you don't want, much of it hidden from you (did you know that Microsoft gets information on every CD you listen to using WIndows Media Player? I don't know what they do with it - they won't say). So do a lot of other companies - best do some research before trusting any software company.

Opera and Mozilla both block pop-ups, and also don't have the security vulnerabilities of Internet Explorer. Mozilla is free, Opera is about $35 I think, but there is a free version that has a banner ad in the upper right corner.

Nat

December 22nd, 2003, 2:24 am #5

I hear even the next version of IE will have a built-in PU blocker. So many people are running blockers now that advertisers will soon have to give up on pop-ups and think up some other sneaky way to annoy us.

JB
JB

December 22nd, 2003, 8:55 pm #6

I don't mind advertising, they have to pay for their bandwidth somehow, but popups that spawn other popups and having a screenfull of them just from visiting one page is abusive and can crash our machines.

They should just go back to banner ads.

JB
JB

December 22nd, 2003, 9:01 pm #7

You could also use a better browser than Microsoft's. Most Microsoft software does a lot of things you don't want, much of it hidden from you (did you know that Microsoft gets information on every CD you listen to using WIndows Media Player? I don't know what they do with it - they won't say). So do a lot of other companies - best do some research before trusting any software company.

Opera and Mozilla both block pop-ups, and also don't have the security vulnerabilities of Internet Explorer. Mozilla is free, Opera is about $35 I think, but there is a free version that has a banner ad in the upper right corner.
I use Opera and it can block popups or send them to the background. There are also popup killers that block certain popups and the user can configure it to block all popups from a certain company, for example.

Microsoft has attempted to bribe mp3 providers to change their format to Windows Media Player so that people have no choice but to use their player. Microsoft has not learned much from the various lawsuits that have been filed against them and their embrace and extend philosophy is alive and well.