Question

Question

Howard
Howard

November 26th, 2004, 6:36 pm #1

I watched the movie american beauty the other night with my fiancee. Two very young looking girls bared their breasts. How do they get away with this? I always figured that a female had to be at least 18 to do something like this, these girls looked maybe 15, 16 yrs old.

Nat

November 26th, 2004, 8:00 pm #2

According to IMDB:

"Thora Birch was only 17, so filming her brief nude scene required permission from her parents, who were both on the set during the filming along with child labor representatives."

Anudist
Anudist

November 26th, 2004, 8:30 pm #3

I watched the movie american beauty the other night with my fiancee. Two very young looking girls bared their breasts. How do they get away with this? I always figured that a female had to be at least 18 to do something like this, these girls looked maybe 15, 16 yrs old.
They were actresses. Both are actually over 18 but were made to look younger.

That's how its done....

JB
JB

November 27th, 2004, 12:54 am #4

I think you are right and the actresses were actually over 18.

Howard
Howard

November 27th, 2004, 1:05 am #5

Was just curious, but i now remember the movie blue lagoon in which brooke shields and a boy were nude, both were 15 at the time.

Nat

November 27th, 2004, 3:09 am #6

I think you are right and the actresses were actually over 18.
Thora Birch was born 11 March 1982. "American Beauty" was made in 1998, released in 1999.

Melissa
Melissa

November 27th, 2004, 3:34 pm #7

Was just curious, but i now remember the movie blue lagoon in which brooke shields and a boy were nude, both were 15 at the time.
Taking photographs of topfree, or even compleatly nude people of any age is not illegal, including kids and teenagers. It's only when the photographs are of a sexual nature that you run afoul of the law. As a member of a nudist family I have many photographs my myself and my brother nude as teens, none of it sexual. Every few years you hear of a walmart employee who gets overzelous and calls the cops on a parent who brings in pictures of "baby's first bath" or the 5 year old running around naked in the sprinkler and the cops have an investigation and conclude that there is nothing illegal going on, after putting mom and child through such a tromatic experiance.

fashiondreamer
fashiondreamer

November 28th, 2004, 1:45 am #8

Thora Birch was born 11 March 1982. "American Beauty" was made in 1998, released in 1999.
OK, so she was probably 17. As if you suddenly become different on your 18th birthday. Of course there is absolutely nothing wrong with being nude (although there was a backlash about naturist camps for teens earlier this year) byself, as melissa says it is what happens after that, that counts. If you are involved in what is referred to as 'lewd' behaviour, are exploited and to what purpose your images are used.

December 5th, 2004, 1:55 am #9

Taking photographs of topfree, or even compleatly nude people of any age is not illegal, including kids and teenagers. It's only when the photographs are of a sexual nature that you run afoul of the law. As a member of a nudist family I have many photographs my myself and my brother nude as teens, none of it sexual. Every few years you hear of a walmart employee who gets overzelous and calls the cops on a parent who brings in pictures of "baby's first bath" or the 5 year old running around naked in the sprinkler and the cops have an investigation and conclude that there is nothing illegal going on, after putting mom and child through such a tromatic experiance.
True, but in "American Beauty" the nude scenes were intended to be sexual, and at least one of the actresses (Thora Birch) was under 18. I'm pretty sure Mena Suvari was also under 18 when "American Beauty" was filmed, but I'd have to check on that, and will do so.

December 5th, 2004, 2:04 am #10

OK, so she was probably 17. As if you suddenly become different on your 18th birthday. Of course there is absolutely nothing wrong with being nude (although there was a backlash about naturist camps for teens earlier this year) byself, as melissa says it is what happens after that, that counts. If you are involved in what is referred to as 'lewd' behaviour, are exploited and to what purpose your images are used.
Well, Mena Suvari was born on February 9, 1979, so she was 19 when "American Beauty" was filmed. I can see how someone would think that both actresses nude scenes were filmed for lewd or indecent purposes, but I think that Alan Ball wrote them as tender, honest moments of sexual expression and Sam Mendes filmed them sensitively. They were definitely far from "Girls Gone Wild"-type nude scenes, after all.