public breast feeding

public breast feeding

sdun
sdun

February 22nd, 2006, 2:56 pm #1

Interesting article about breast feeding. http://www.thenorthernlight.org/vnews/d ... bc2c644322

Charlie
Charlie

February 22nd, 2006, 6:45 pm #2

...Breast Weighing!

From Hathor the Cow Goddess.

Bob
Bob

February 23rd, 2006, 12:12 am #3

Interesting article about breast feeding. http://www.thenorthernlight.org/vnews/d ... bc2c644322
Breastfeeding IS the healthiest nutrition for a baby. In my state, a law was passed last year that allows women to breastfeed anywhere in public. The law was opposed by the large store chains, as they were concerned about offending their other customers.

I can see why mothers don't want to breastfeed in a restroom. Still, I wish there would be a better compromise than "anywhere you want to." I don't see why the stores, mothers or anyone should object if the stores provided a lounge for women and young children only, where the women could sit in a pleasant environment and breastfeed children without onlookers, especially male onlookers. This would seem to me to be the ideal solution. Too bad no one pursued that.

meredith
meredith

February 23rd, 2006, 12:57 am #4

"Anywhere you want to" is the perfect compromise. If the people who think that women have breasts only to sell Playboy Magazine are offended, tough. Anyone who cannot appreciate the beauty of a mother nurturing her baby has a serious emotional sickness.

Nat

February 23rd, 2006, 1:01 am #5

Breastfeeding IS the healthiest nutrition for a baby. In my state, a law was passed last year that allows women to breastfeed anywhere in public. The law was opposed by the large store chains, as they were concerned about offending their other customers.

I can see why mothers don't want to breastfeed in a restroom. Still, I wish there would be a better compromise than "anywhere you want to." I don't see why the stores, mothers or anyone should object if the stores provided a lounge for women and young children only, where the women could sit in a pleasant environment and breastfeed children without onlookers, especially male onlookers. This would seem to me to be the ideal solution. Too bad no one pursued that.
Well Bob, maybe they should have a special place for you to eat, so people won't be offended.
The point is why should nursing mothers be ostracized away as if they lepers. I think it's better that people just get over their breast phobia.

Bob
Bob

February 23rd, 2006, 1:11 am #6

You all point out how really modest and discreet nursing mothers are. I would think they would WELCOME the opportubity to nurse away from prying eyes. Why make it a public spectacle when it can be private? . . . . unless the woman's point is to make it as public as possible for political reasons.

Meredith: Why don't I just suckle in public too? Would you care to see that? What if I just walk around sucking on a baby bottle? You think I won't get my arse kicked by someone just for doing that? You don't think I would be told to leave the store? There are behaviors one just does not exhibit in public . . . its the point where personal freedom to act anyway that I wish clashes with community standards that define what most people don't want to see. This is not a difficult concept.

Nat

February 23rd, 2006, 1:21 am #7

Women wouldn't have to be discrete if people didn't have such hang-ups about breasts.
As far as suckling- babies are suppose to suckle- growth men are not- so this is a ridiculous argument.

Mike
Mike

February 23rd, 2006, 3:00 am #8

In my state, a law was passed last year that allows women to breastfeed anywhere in public. The law was opposed by the large store chains, as they were concerned about offending their other customers.
Who cares about a few disgruntled customers, a baby has to feed and it feeds whenever and however it needs to and if the customers dont like it they can just go shop somewhere else. Besides people who are offended by a mother doing something as simple as feeding her baby have got issues anyways. I mean how would they feel if I got offended watching them eat their burger?
I can see why mothers don't want to breastfeed in a restroom. Still, I wish there would be a better compromise than "anywhere you want to."
Yeah, people dont take their burger into the bathroom so you cant very well expect a mother to take her child there to feed. A baby eats wherever/whenever its hungry and if that happens to be out in public in front of dozens of people then thats where it needs to eat, its either that or you have a very loud very unhappy baby on your hands. Im sure people would rather a mother feed the damn kid rather than listen to all the loud screaming and crying a hungry baby makes.
I don't see why the stores, mothers or anyone should object if the stores provided a lounge for women and young children only, where the women could sit in a pleasant environment and breastfeed children without onlookers, especially male onlookers. This would seem to me to be the ideal solution. Too bad no one pursued that.
Its an inconvience to have to go to some special "feeding spot" just to feed your kid when he/she is hungry. Depending on where you are when the kid decides theyre hungry that isnt always practical and any other people areint expected to go someplace special just to eat, so why should a mother with her baby be expected to go someplace special? I would think a mother would rather have onlookers staring at her than have a baby who is hungry.

Mike
Mike

February 23rd, 2006, 3:09 am #9

You all point out how really modest and discreet nursing mothers are. I would think they would WELCOME the opportubity to nurse away from prying eyes. Why make it a public spectacle when it can be private? . . . . unless the woman's point is to make it as public as possible for political reasons.

Meredith: Why don't I just suckle in public too? Would you care to see that? What if I just walk around sucking on a baby bottle? You think I won't get my arse kicked by someone just for doing that? You don't think I would be told to leave the store? There are behaviors one just does not exhibit in public . . . its the point where personal freedom to act anyway that I wish clashes with community standards that define what most people don't want to see. This is not a difficult concept.
Women are modest and discreet when breastfeeding out in public because they dont wish to offend people, but sometimes you have to feed a baby wherever you are because its not always practical to find some special private place to do it, when the baby gets hungry, you feed it. No sense to make it suffer anymore than it has to.
Meredith: Why don't I just suckle in public too? Would you care to see that? What if I just walk around sucking on a baby bottle? You think I won't get my arse kicked by someone just for doing that? You don't think I would be told to leave the store?
Youre an adult so yeah if you were suckling a bottle or a nipple out in public it would look kinda weird and turn some people off, but even so you should still have the right to do it and just because it offends some people doesnt give them enough reason to justify harassing you or kicking you out of a store for it.
There are behaviors one just does not exhibit in public . . . its the point where personal freedom to act anyway that I wish clashes with community standards that define what most people don't want to see. This is not a difficult concept.
There are many things people dont want to see out in public but people still have the freedom to do them. Just because something looks offensive to a person doesnt by itself give it enough merit to be banned from being done out in public.

peter
peter

February 23rd, 2006, 3:15 am #10

"Anywhere you want to" is the perfect compromise. If the people who think that women have breasts only to sell Playboy Magazine are offended, tough. Anyone who cannot appreciate the beauty of a mother nurturing her baby has a serious emotional sickness.
Right on!