PTSD

PTSD

Bob
Bob

February 27th, 2012, 6:54 pm #1

I really feel for the war veterans, war refugees, survivors of natural catastrophies and others who have endured very traumatic circumstances and now suffer chronic emotional upheaval, sometimes called post traumatic stress disorder. I have no idea what that would be like, and I'm sure much stronger people than me have bowed under the stress. I watch their stories and think, "I have NO problems compared to a lot of people.", and that is true. Personally, I find normal life stressful (especially now), so to see and live some of the things some people do . . buddies, or kids, being shot and blown up, people losing their entire families . . . . I'm sure I would be devastated. I wonder what kind of drugs it takes to cope with that?

Marseil
Marseil

February 28th, 2012, 6:24 am #2

I really feel for the war victims, wounded, their relatives, etc.

Marseil.

Nat

February 28th, 2012, 4:58 pm #3

I really feel for the war veterans, war refugees, survivors of natural catastrophies and others who have endured very traumatic circumstances and now suffer chronic emotional upheaval, sometimes called post traumatic stress disorder. I have no idea what that would be like, and I'm sure much stronger people than me have bowed under the stress. I watch their stories and think, "I have NO problems compared to a lot of people.", and that is true. Personally, I find normal life stressful (especially now), so to see and live some of the things some people do . . buddies, or kids, being shot and blown up, people losing their entire families . . . . I'm sure I would be devastated. I wonder what kind of drugs it takes to cope with that?
Yes, it's bound to be very stressful not knowing when at any moment your head might get blown off. And what about all those who come back with missing limbs or other war injuries that they must live with the rest of their lives. You see these "happy" stories on TV about smiling vets getting fitted with artificial limbs in rehabilitation, but from what I hear, the reality is that most go on to live miserable unfulfilled lives and often wine up as drug addicts or committing suicide. It must be especially frustrating when their life has been ruin for a political war that was questionable in the first place.
. . . . .

Marseil
Marseil

February 28th, 2012, 6:49 pm #4

I really feel for the war victims, wounded, their relatives, etc.

Marseil.
... regarding the US war in Iraq:

4,486 US Soldiers Killed at November 30, 2011 (source:http://usliberals.about.com/od/homeland ... umbers.htm)

105,439 to 115,149 documented civilian (Iraqi) deaths from violence (source:http://www.iraqbodycount.org/)
or even:
estimates varying from 105,052 to 1,033,000 casualties of the conflict in Iraq since 2003 (source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Iraq_War).

Marseil.

Nat

February 28th, 2012, 9:48 pm #5

I guess your point is that civilians are also victims of PTSD, and of course this is true.
. . . . .