November 10th, 2008, 4:30 am #2

Marseil
Marseil

November 10th, 2008, 9:15 pm #3

I find Obama even more sympathetic now!

Marseil.

Nat

November 10th, 2008, 10:14 pm #4

I'm sensing a lot of right-wing hatred out there- even more than when Clinton was elected (and remember how bad that was).
Already a black church in Alabama was burned on the night Obama was elected.

I've read that the Secret Service is really concerned and will be employing more presidential protection measures (such as extensive use bullet-proof glass, etc) than ever before.

Bob
Bob

November 10th, 2008, 11:10 pm #5

I could see your point if someone embellished Obama's comments into something he really didn't say, but that clip is Obama clearly bashing on the Holy Bible. Good thing his comments weren't in regard to the Koran, as he really would have a large bounty put on his head.

A la Salman Rushdie. I recall hearing "peaceful" Muslims -- like former singer Cat Stevens . . "Peace Train" . . . say that Rushdie's writings were blasphemy against the Koran, and "The Koran is clear. The penalty for blasphemy is death."

Wow, can you imagine the Pope putting a $1 millon bounty on someone's head for denigrating the Bible? Christians are called "haters" just for objecting to what Obama said. What is "peaceful" about people who will try to kill you for saying something?

Nat

November 10th, 2008, 11:56 pm #6

As I understand it, the Bible was written by men and has been translated and altered many times through history. There are in fact different versions of the Bible with different wording. And the Bible even contradicts itself in numerous places. So I don't think you can take everything in it literally and I think this would be true of any literature this old.

Bob
Bob

November 11th, 2008, 12:19 am #7

The Bible is a sacred document to many people, and Obama's comment was critical of it. My point remains that one can bash the Bible and even verbal objections to that can be criticized, while slights to the Koran can get you killed and I don't see many people finding fault with that response.

Nat

November 11th, 2008, 12:44 am #8

Well I agree that you find more fanaticism among Muslims but there are extremest in every religion. An awful lot of people have died over history directly as a result of various religious beliefs, and this does not exclude Christians. Right now there are numerous posts and emails circulating in Right-wing blogs claiming Obama is the "anti-Christ".

Brandon
Brandon

November 11th, 2008, 12:51 am #9

There are no mainstream Christian groups that believe or say Obama is the anti Christ.

However, there are plenty of radical Muslim groups composed of millions of people.

My point is nobody has anything to fear from Christians, but lots to fear from fundamentalist Islamists.

Nat

November 11th, 2008, 1:48 am #10

Can you be sure the people who burned that black church weren't Christians, Brandon?
I'm old enough to remember the 1950s and I remember many of the people who were screaming insults and doing worse to black freedom marchers were Bible-carrying church-going Christians.