Philly Blog Topfree thread came back to life...

Philly Blog Topfree thread came back to life...

September 20th, 2005, 7:13 pm #1

http://www.phillyblog.com/philly/showth ... ge=1&pp=10

If anyone is interested in the conversation about topfreedom going on at the Philly Blog, it has revived.

JB
JB

September 21st, 2005, 12:33 am #2

Have you noticed that although some 58% of those who answered the poll question are pro-topfreedom for women, the ones making the most noise are those against?

I think it might be counterproductive to continue the discourse there, in a place that probably exists more so that the locals can discuss who has the best cheese steak sandwich or bagels. Someone already said something like "you don't even live in Philly" so that tells you right there. Just my two cents

Boreas
Boreas

September 21st, 2005, 2:53 am #3

I haven't had a chance to look at the blog yet. My impression from the posts here is that fighting and being obstinent is not going to work against the people who are so against the issue. Finding ways to quietly normalize topfreedom will be more effective. Creep in under their skin so to speak.

September 21st, 2005, 3:12 am #4

Have you noticed that although some 58% of those who answered the poll question are pro-topfreedom for women, the ones making the most noise are those against?

I think it might be counterproductive to continue the discourse there, in a place that probably exists more so that the locals can discuss who has the best cheese steak sandwich or bagels. Someone already said something like "you don't even live in Philly" so that tells you right there. Just my two cents
Yeah, that one who said 'You aren't from Philly' is a real winner. I am not interested in continuing any discussion with them. I certainly am not fighting with them as someone else said.

Nat

September 21st, 2005, 3:21 am #5

I haven't had a chance to look at the blog yet. My impression from the posts here is that fighting and being obstinent is not going to work against the people who are so against the issue. Finding ways to quietly normalize topfreedom will be more effective. Creep in under their skin so to speak.
Yes, my impression of that forum is that those who oppose topfreedom are totally closed minded and nothing that anyone could say would change their mind- so what's the point?

September 21st, 2005, 12:12 pm #6

I wanted to bring to everyone's attention that the Blog was talking again only because there was one there who was interested in topfreedom, and she was interested in maybe doing something about it. I thought she might want to hear from others who feel the same, not just the idiots who oppose this. She was the first one who wrote something the other day, but I can't think of her name at the moment. She isn't hard to find.

Boreas
Boreas

September 21st, 2005, 1:38 pm #7

Yes, my impression of that forum is that those who oppose topfreedom are totally closed minded and nothing that anyone could say would change their mind- so what's the point?
I think the point is to not give up. It would just take different tactics to sway anyone who is opposed to topfreedom, or any issue for that matter. They, like anyone, have to see the benefits of something, and remove any threat they perceive. Perhaps that is discussion in threads like this.....over time. Perhaps it is news releases about women like the ones in Moravia. It would just be a different process and possibly will take time.

Look at other issues and how public opinion has changed. I remember when drinking and driving was less of an issue. Ten years ago you would not have seen the Canadian federal government saying that gay marriage will be recognized as legal.

I wonder where we will be in ten more years. Of course, it has been almost ten years since Gwen Jacobs pushed the boundaries of the law for topfreedom in Guelph, Ontario. Hopefully it won't be another ten years.....but I bet views will have changed somewhat.

Nat

September 21st, 2005, 1:38 pm #8

I wanted to bring to everyone's attention that the Blog was talking again only because there was one there who was interested in topfreedom, and she was interested in maybe doing something about it. I thought she might want to hear from others who feel the same, not just the idiots who oppose this. She was the first one who wrote something the other day, but I can't think of her name at the moment. She isn't hard to find.
Well since this is a local issue, I don't think what people in Texas or Florida say is going to have any sway with them. If she wants moral support she should come here to BFF and be with people who agree with her.

Mike
Mike

September 21st, 2005, 8:42 pm #9

I think the point is to not give up. It would just take different tactics to sway anyone who is opposed to topfreedom, or any issue for that matter. They, like anyone, have to see the benefits of something, and remove any threat they perceive. Perhaps that is discussion in threads like this.....over time. Perhaps it is news releases about women like the ones in Moravia. It would just be a different process and possibly will take time.

Look at other issues and how public opinion has changed. I remember when drinking and driving was less of an issue. Ten years ago you would not have seen the Canadian federal government saying that gay marriage will be recognized as legal.

I wonder where we will be in ten more years. Of course, it has been almost ten years since Gwen Jacobs pushed the boundaries of the law for topfreedom in Guelph, Ontario. Hopefully it won't be another ten years.....but I bet views will have changed somewhat.
Topfreedom simply needs to be made legalized. Its not a matter of weither people think its a good idea for women to go topfree in public or not or weither only the good looking women should go topfree or not, its a matter of equality and something that is a human right that every women deserves reguardless of what anybody's opinion is about it. People just need to let women have their rights and stop sticking their noses in places where it dont belong.

Boreas
Boreas

September 21st, 2005, 9:53 pm #10

But it is legal in many places and people are still having problems. Look at what is happening in Moravia, NY.

There is more to it than just legalization.....it needs more acceptance.