Overexposure

Overexposure

Charlie
Charlie

March 30th, 2005, 2:31 pm #1

The spread of small electronic cameras in cell phones and the like have raised a number of nusiance issues. I see by this article that Pennsylvania, for example, is working on legislation to deal with this problem.

Specifically, the proposed languages refers to photographing the "intimate parts" of a person, then later defines those parts to include nipples. One could be a smart-ass by somehow taking photos of areola only (what a trial that would be!), but the general idea of public/private/intimate space and features is now on the table.

I dare say breastfeeding is an intimate act but also a public one. Laws support it in all states, so I read. So should the photo of a nursing mother be a violation of intimacy/law?

And what of a woman in a sheer top? If the photo is illegal, should she not also be charged for exposure as well? What limits should there be?

Discussion please.

March 30th, 2005, 4:41 pm #2

Does this not sound like the law to promote the arrest of 'underwear above the jeans'? A law impossible to enforce. If we cannot decide what is decent how can we criminalise indecency?
My only concern is our inate right to privacy which does not exist in every country.

Nat

March 30th, 2005, 6:03 pm #3

The spread of small electronic cameras in cell phones and the like have raised a number of nusiance issues. I see by this article that Pennsylvania, for example, is working on legislation to deal with this problem.

Specifically, the proposed languages refers to photographing the "intimate parts" of a person, then later defines those parts to include nipples. One could be a smart-ass by somehow taking photos of areola only (what a trial that would be!), but the general idea of public/private/intimate space and features is now on the table.

I dare say breastfeeding is an intimate act but also a public one. Laws support it in all states, so I read. So should the photo of a nursing mother be a violation of intimacy/law?

And what of a woman in a sheer top? If the photo is illegal, should she not also be charged for exposure as well? What limits should there be?

Discussion please.
I think this nipple thing is a real can of worms. Like I've never really heard a good explaintion why female nipples are obscene but male nipples aren't. As someone point out not long ago, physiologically there is little difference, and in a close up photo, it hard to tell one from the other.

In the photo above, if it weren't for the chest hair- could you tell if this was a male or female nipple?

elijah
elijah

March 30th, 2005, 8:24 pm #4

today, i saw a hairy old guy without a shirt doing construction work around campus and i turned away because it was kind of disgusting. the picture of the nipple you posted and the guy i saw today don't need legal protection because if someone accidently took a picture of them, the person would delete from his camera and definately not send it to anyone.

JB
JB

March 30th, 2005, 8:27 pm #5

Discussion please.
Charlie wrote:

>I dare say breastfeeding is an intimate act but also a public one. Laws support it in all states, so I read. So should the photo of a nursing mother be a violation of intimacy/law? <

It would be wrong and probably illegal for someone in a locker room at a gym for example, to take photographs with a small camera placed in some hidden compartment in their gym bag. The people in the gym do not have privacy, but that does not give anyone the right to take pictures. I think this would be something like that though it might be argued that a woman who breastfeeds her child in the open where there are people around has no expectation of privacy. And what of the privacy rights of the child? Does the child have privacy rights even though they are unable to articulate their wish for privacy?

elijah
elijah

March 30th, 2005, 8:29 pm #6

Discussion please.
what's up with cleavage? should they be seen or not? girls show cleavage but you're not supposed to look at it. and the article say that the law states that you can't take a picture of it? but i think that girls want they're cleavage to be seen or else they wouldn't have walked out of the house with it showing? cleavage is a hypocrisy.

JB
JB

March 30th, 2005, 8:34 pm #7

today, i saw a hairy old guy without a shirt doing construction work around campus and i turned away because it was kind of disgusting. the picture of the nipple you posted and the guy i saw today don't need legal protection because if someone accidently took a picture of them, the person would delete from his camera and definately not send it to anyone.
I don't think we could have a law that says only attractive people can take their shirts off.
You just have to accept that sometimes you might want to avert your eyes, but one should not ogle anyway.

JB
JB

March 30th, 2005, 8:38 pm #8

what's up with cleavage? should they be seen or not? girls show cleavage but you're not supposed to look at it. and the article say that the law states that you can't take a picture of it? but i think that girls want they're cleavage to be seen or else they wouldn't have walked out of the house with it showing? cleavage is a hypocrisy.
I think they just don't want ugly guys or old guys looking
You are right though and if they don't want people to notice it they should not put it out there.

Perhaps they don't mind people noticing and what they don't want is undue attention or someone to stare or make comments.

Adelle
Adelle

March 30th, 2005, 10:39 pm #9

Discussion please.
<"the intimate parts of another person, whether or not covered by clothing, which that person does not intend to be visible by normal public observation, without that person's knowledge or consent.">
From the quote I would say that breastfeeding, topfreedom or see-thorough clothing (or even public nudity) would show that the person intended visibility “by normal public observation” (which I assume to mean that the average person would notice with a glance). The real test is “knowledge and consent” which voyeurism offends. A person my not wish to have their pic on the net and not just because of their state of dress. Others may not care or may actually want to publicize and this is why legit photogs ask permission (except in the case of public protest or celebrity, which is another can of worms). Of course rude behaviour (staring, ogling, suggestive comments) is a different invasion of privacy.

<...proposed definition of "intimate" parts: "the human genitals, pubic area, buttocks or the nipple of the female breast,">

Reference to the female breast should definitely not be included. If nipples are to be “intimate” then they should be so for both sexes or neither. I would regard anything else is gender bias.

michaela
michaela

March 30th, 2005, 10:51 pm #10

I think they just don't want ugly guys or old guys looking
You are right though and if they don't want people to notice it they should not put it out there.

Perhaps they don't mind people noticing and what they don't want is undue attention or someone to stare or make comments.
Could be the real problem is not the intimate parts people have but the irresponsible use of phones w/cameras. If I were nursing a baby in public, that does not give anyone the right to take my picture. Same with the pervs that use their video cameras to shoot up skirts. Major voilation! it would be nice if someone wants to take a picture of your nipple, they should ask for your permission. They might be surprised!