Our Floridians...and Frances

Our Floridians...and Frances

michaela
michaela

September 4th, 2004, 3:10 am #1

I am wondering how all our folks living in Florida are. If you all are still home, if you are evacuating? I know Nat is in Fla. But there are many BFF members who are also in Fla. I hope you are all going to be okay.

Eiffel
Eiffel

September 4th, 2004, 1:29 pm #2

Where do you live?

Nat

September 4th, 2004, 1:52 pm #3

SW-FL. I'm quite ok. Safely out of the path of Hur. Frances, although a bit busy handling some technical matters relating to TV coverage of the storm. And when I'm not doing that, I'm in my rocker with my pink blanket, looking for the birds who are now wet and hiding somewhere (which will make no sense to anyone who is not a fanatical follower of BFF).

michaela
michaela

September 4th, 2004, 2:04 pm #4

It makes sense to me, as I am the radical/fanatical one...in my pink house wondering if you were okay. I am really glad to hear from you. I wonder about the other BFF Florida posters as well. I know, I am a serious worry wart! I watched the news last night and they were saying that Frances was larger than the state of Texas, and they superimposed the hurricane picture over the top of Florida and basically wiped y'all out! Then they told me they down graded it to a catagory 2. Sheesh! Just call me Michaela the mother hen!

Nat

September 4th, 2004, 3:04 pm #5

Hur. Frances looks scary on satellite, but the damaging part is much smaller than the cloud cover- usually no more than a 30 mile radius of the eye. The rest is just windy rain. The worse part of this storm may be flooding since it is moving very slow and will dump a lot of rain. But when I bought my land I made sure it was well above the flood plane.

michaela
michaela

September 4th, 2004, 3:23 pm #6

I have always thought the meteorologists are a bunch of liars. When they got hold of that Doplar Radar stuff they got to feeling real important, and powerful because they can scare us all now, all the time. I know better, and keep falling for it. It pisses me off! All I really ever need to do is go outside and look up.

tam
tam

September 6th, 2004, 1:41 am #7

Don't let the weathermen scare you off meteorologists..... not all weathermen/women on TV are real meteorologist... just someone reading what the national weather service says... which... is not as accurate as information gotten more locally from meteorologist. (fascinated by weather always) with hurricanes... if they are right within 50 miles... thats a miracle... hurricanes are notoriously fickle.

Anudist
Anudist

September 6th, 2004, 2:02 am #8

well, actually the Weathermen were a domestic Terriorist group as well.

Anudist
Anudist

September 6th, 2004, 2:04 am #9

Don't let the weathermen scare you off meteorologists..... not all weathermen/women on TV are real meteorologist... just someone reading what the national weather service says... which... is not as accurate as information gotten more locally from meteorologist. (fascinated by weather always) with hurricanes... if they are right within 50 miles... thats a miracle... hurricanes are notoriously fickle.
I think it should be more definitive to use the proper terms:

As I understand it, a Weatherman(person) only reports on the weather, where a Meterologist actually can forecast the weather.

Funny thing about the Weather on the news, is that it is 95% reporting what took place on the day as if you didn't know what the weather was like. Forecasting is a muct more difficult matter and is subject to revision.

michaela
michaela

September 6th, 2004, 1:55 pm #10

Well all I know is it is a meteorologist I watch here on my local news, and it was a meteorologist who reported for an hour when we lived at Fort Hood, Texas about the tornadic activity that was showing up on radar, and for an hour he went on and on telling the people in Jerrel, Texas to take cover in there houses. They did and were hit with an F5 tornado and ripped to shreds. Why they didn't leave the vicinity I do not know. They had plenty of time. 27 people died that day just 20 minutes up the road from where I lived. They could have left. The meteorologists might be terrorists.