One Thing I Don't Like About This Format

One Thing I Don't Like About This Format

Brandon
Brandon

September 21st, 2007, 5:58 pm #1

I know Nat has discussed the different setups of network54 forums and there doesn't seem to be a perfect one , but there is one thing that is not good about the format of this one. You don't know if there is new activity on an older thread without having to scroll down each time. At least on the RMSN forum, it throws the topic back to the top if someone posts something new.

For instance Cool Beans Boi wrote something about Bush in an older thread that I should respond to, but it is so far down that I doubt anyone would read it.

mackayla
mackayla

September 21st, 2007, 6:19 pm #2

One thing we have always done about that is to start a new thread with a copy and paste of the one you are wanting to reply to, just start a new string at the top...Nat just did that with the insurance subject because it was getting so strung out.

R
R

September 22nd, 2007, 8:32 am #3

I know Nat has discussed the different setups of network54 forums and there doesn't seem to be a perfect one , but there is one thing that is not good about the format of this one. You don't know if there is new activity on an older thread without having to scroll down each time. At least on the RMSN forum, it throws the topic back to the top if someone posts something new.

For instance Cool Beans Boi wrote something about Bush in an older thread that I should respond to, but it is so far down that I doubt anyone would read it.
Back to my theme of nothing being utterly good and few things utterly bad, this way old threads don't suddenly reappear when some perv browses the archive and adds his own thought 10 times.

On the other hand, TFF's archive is a bit dull with the hundreds of topics about sightings and celebrities, especially that tennis player.

Marseil
Marseil

September 22nd, 2007, 8:40 am #4

I never open my own posts.... SO it's easy to find what's new when I get on Pot Pourri...

For instance, today, my Pot Pourri window looks like this.

Marseil.

Nat

September 22nd, 2007, 1:10 pm #5

You mean you don't ever look at your posts to see how they look on the net??
Wow, I always do that first thing- and often see little goofs I made.

Like if you read the posts you made down below where you included quoted material you would see they would be easier to read if you put a space between the quoted material and your text. Sometimes it's hard to tell where one stops and the other begins.

Nat

September 22nd, 2007, 1:25 pm #6

Brandon, all you have to do is scan down the index page to see if there are any new posts- which are in blue while old posts are in red.

The RMSN type format is entirely impractically for forums as busy as Potpourri. RMSN averages one or two posts a day- sometimes goes a week without a post. Can you imagine to confusion if we had old threads constantly popping up? For example- a few weeks ago there were several unusually popular topics going at RMSN that were generating a lot of posts from new people who didn't usually post there- in fact, I never seen the forum so busy- then one day I check in and- what the hell?- all those popular topics were gone- pushed off the front page by some idiot who had gone back through the archive and dredged up a bunch of stupid threads from years ago- some all the way back to 2002! Well it just totally killed the activity there for a long time. And those new people who were posting have never been back.

Furthermore, do you realize how long it would take to read through a 30 or 50 post thread that we often have here a new post? And they are not alway at the bottom- new posts can appear anyway in the thread.

And another thing- with the RSMN format a reply to a post can appear so far down the page you don't know what the reply is replying to. The index format does a much better job of keeping different branches of discussion together.

And finally you do know that if you want to read the posts here in a thread format you can do that by clicking the "view thread" link at top of each thread.

Marseil
Marseil

September 22nd, 2007, 11:18 pm #7

You mean you don't ever look at your posts to see how they look on the net??
Wow, I always do that first thing- and often see little goofs I made.

Like if you read the posts you made down below where you included quoted material you would see they would be easier to read if you put a space between the quoted material and your text. Sometimes it's hard to tell where one stops and the other begins.
When I absolutely need to read what I wrote before, I use the "view thread" option. And Now, when using the view thread, the post you refer to appear with a blank line between what I quote and my part. Don't you see it?

Marseil.

Brandon
Brandon

September 22nd, 2007, 11:34 pm #8

Brandon, all you have to do is scan down the index page to see if there are any new posts- which are in blue while old posts are in red.

The RMSN type format is entirely impractically for forums as busy as Potpourri. RMSN averages one or two posts a day- sometimes goes a week without a post. Can you imagine to confusion if we had old threads constantly popping up? For example- a few weeks ago there were several unusually popular topics going at RMSN that were generating a lot of posts from new people who didn't usually post there- in fact, I never seen the forum so busy- then one day I check in and- what the hell?- all those popular topics were gone- pushed off the front page by some idiot who had gone back through the archive and dredged up a bunch of stupid threads from years ago- some all the way back to 2002! Well it just totally killed the activity there for a long time. And those new people who were posting have never been back.

Furthermore, do you realize how long it would take to read through a 30 or 50 post thread that we often have here a new post? And they are not alway at the bottom- new posts can appear anyway in the thread.

And another thing- with the RSMN format a reply to a post can appear so far down the page you don't know what the reply is replying to. The index format does a much better job of keeping different branches of discussion together.

And finally you do know that if you want to read the posts here in a thread format you can do that by clicking the "view thread" link at top of each thread.
Back in June when RMSN was getting lots of activity, a couple of people mentioned how they had seen the thread linked at another forum. This was when the discussion was revolving mainly around child rearing issues.

I was just wondering Nat if you ever promote Potpourri any place other than RMSN or TFF?

Nat

September 23rd, 2007, 12:05 am #9

When I absolutely need to read what I wrote before, I use the "view thread" option. And Now, when using the view thread, the post you refer to appear with a blank line between what I quote and my part. Don't you see it?

Marseil.
Well I see some do and some don't.

Here's the one I guess I was thinking about-

http://www.network54.com/Forum/157869/m ... Life+Today

No big deal but at first glance you reply could be mistaken as part of the quote.

Nat

September 23rd, 2007, 12:10 am #10

Back in June when RMSN was getting lots of activity, a couple of people mentioned how they had seen the thread linked at another forum. This was when the discussion was revolving mainly around child rearing issues.

I was just wondering Nat if you ever promote Potpourri any place other than RMSN or TFF?
No, not really. I've always considered it bad manners to go around sticking links in other forums unless it really seems helpful to the discussion going on.