Ohio State vs. UFlorida -- One More Time

Ohio State vs. UFlorida -- One More Time

Bob
Bob

April 2nd, 2007, 12:43 pm #1

Tonight (April 2nd) is the unlikely pairing of Ohio State and University of Florida in the NCAA (college) basketball championship game. As you may recall (I shudder to) the two schools met for the college football championship on January 8th, with Florida demolishing then #1 Ohio State 41-14. A day or two later, the Florida basketball team walloped Ohio state by 26 points (by far, the most lopsided loss of the 3 losses this season).

Florida, the defending basketball champs from 2006, hope to repeat tonight. The Buckeyes, greatly improved under third year coach, Thad Matta, had a stellar Freshman recruiting class this year and have become a force even sooner than expected. They hope to win their first national title since 1960 (their only title, with the likes of Jerry Lucas and John Havlichek) . . . before their young stars (especially 7 ft. center, Greg Oden) bolt for the pro game. Its now . . . or maybe never.

I know there isn't much sports interest here, but I am excited about the prospect of my team finally getting a title. I hope its a good game, with close score -- you know who I'm pulling for.

I presume that Nat is rooting for the Gators?

Nat

April 2nd, 2007, 1:44 pm #2

Oh, wow, we’re going to do this again? Haven’t you Buckeyes learned your lesson? You know they say the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing and think that the results will be different. Well, I guess we are going to have to take you to the woodshed again!

Bob
Bob

April 2nd, 2007, 4:36 pm #3

The semi-final game that Florida played to get to the championship -- vs. UCLA -- a lot of commentators said that the winner of that game would probably win the championship. I am making no predictions. But, remember, Ohio State was favored to win the football championship . . and we saw how that worked out.

The team that Ohio State played in the semis -- Georgetown -- was favored to defeat Ohio State (and, our 7 ft. center, Oden, only played 3 of the first 20 minutes due to foul problems). Georgetown's center was 7'2", and they had another good player who was 6'10" or 6'11" . . . yet Ohio State's superior speed and outside shooting prevailed. Georgetown would not have been fast enough to beat Florida . . so let's hope that Ohio State can give you a good game.

Nat

April 2nd, 2007, 9:24 pm #4

I’ve always suspected that “luck” has a lot to do with who wins any game- especially baseball- where just the way a ball happens to bounce in one play can completely change the outcome of a game. The same two teams can play a dozen games and win about evenly. In fact this often happens with the world series where they often go with 4 to 3 split. I guess I’ll be pulling for the Gators just because it’s the ‘patriotic’ thing to do but I wouldn’t be too upset if Ohio wins.

Bob
Bob

April 2nd, 2007, 11:36 pm #5

Oh, wow, we’re going to do this again? Haven’t you Buckeyes learned your lesson? You know they say the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing and think that the results will be different. Well, I guess we are going to have to take you to the woodshed again!
Yahoo Sports featured this article regarding Ohio State's chances to win the championship:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug ... &type=lgns

About two hours to go til time-off.

Bob
Bob

April 2nd, 2007, 11:56 pm #6

I’ve always suspected that “luck” has a lot to do with who wins any game- especially baseball- where just the way a ball happens to bounce in one play can completely change the outcome of a game. The same two teams can play a dozen games and win about evenly. In fact this often happens with the world series where they often go with 4 to 3 split. I guess I’ll be pulling for the Gators just because it’s the ‘patriotic’ thing to do but I wouldn’t be too upset if Ohio wins.
There are some factors that point to Florida repeating as National Champs:

1) Experience: The Florida coach and players won it all last season. The coach knows what its like to go for it all, and he has 7 players that decided not to go pro last year and return to see if they can repeat. OSU coach, Thad Matta, has never been to the Final Four before, let alone the championship game. Ohio State starts two Freshmen (Center Greg Oden and Guard Mike Conley) and has three other Freshmen who get significant playing time as back-ups. If they stayed together a couple more years, they could be dominant, but they are still developing at this point as they try to defeat an experienced defending champion.

2) Size: Ohio State starts a 7 foot center, a 6'5" forward and three guards. They bring in 6'9" and 6'8" subs. Florida starts a 6'11" center, a 6'10" forward and a 6'9" forward --- all bonafide stars. Ohio State usually gets out-bounded, which means the opponent often gets additional shots at the basket, and if Ohio State doesn't hit their first shot then that is often all they get. Ohio State's center tends to get in foul trouble -- last game, he only played 3 of the first 20 minutes due to foul trouble, and the game before that he fouled out in regulation (with OSU winning without him in overtime). If Oden is not in the game, Florida's size advantage becomes even greater. One plus for Ohio State: They are experienced with playing without Oden, as he missed several games at the start of the season due to recovering from wrist surgery . . . and when he returned he played limited minutes due to lacking stamina . . then, there is the foul trouble that has often limited his playing time.

I think Ohio State and Florida are pretty even in team speed and outside shooting prowess. Ohio State's chance to win comes from keeping Oden in the game (and, of course, his being effective while in), good minutes from back-up players, a good outside shooting night, and good team defense (forcing turnovers too). If they could turn the tables and get some Florida players in foul trouble, that would be very helpful. We shall soon see.

Nat

April 3rd, 2007, 12:05 am #7

Yahoo Sports featured this article regarding Ohio State's chances to win the championship:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug ... &type=lgns

About two hours to go til time-off.
OK Bob, just calm down a bit. We can’t afford to lose any Potpourriers to a heart attack!

Bob
Bob

April 3rd, 2007, 12:10 am #8

. I-O! "O-H . . I-O! GO BUCKS!!!"

Bob
Bob

April 3rd, 2007, 2:26 am #9

Tonight (April 2nd) is the unlikely pairing of Ohio State and University of Florida in the NCAA (college) basketball championship game. As you may recall (I shudder to) the two schools met for the college football championship on January 8th, with Florida demolishing then #1 Ohio State 41-14. A day or two later, the Florida basketball team walloped Ohio state by 26 points (by far, the most lopsided loss of the 3 losses this season).

Florida, the defending basketball champs from 2006, hope to repeat tonight. The Buckeyes, greatly improved under third year coach, Thad Matta, had a stellar Freshman recruiting class this year and have become a force even sooner than expected. They hope to win their first national title since 1960 (their only title, with the likes of Jerry Lucas and John Havlichek) . . . before their young stars (especially 7 ft. center, Greg Oden) bolt for the pro game. Its now . . . or maybe never.

I know there isn't much sports interest here, but I am excited about the prospect of my team finally getting a title. I hope its a good game, with close score -- you know who I'm pulling for.

I presume that Nat is rooting for the Gators?
At halftime, the score is Florida 40 Ohio State 29

The good news (for me), meager as it is: Center Greg Oden played most of the first half and has just 1 foul. Florida has played 4 players against him whom, combined, have 5 fouls. No one for Ohio State has more than 2 fouls (the foul-out limit is 5).

The bad news (other than the score): No one for Florida has more than 2 fouls. The strategy of playing multiple players against Oden, being very physical to try and tire him and get fouls on him, seems to be working. Oden appeared to tire and his offensive production is limited. Ohio State's outside shooting has been mediocre . . due in part to the tenacious Florida defense. However . . . the big difference has been in two categories: Turnovers -- Ohio State has several more. Free Throws -- Ohio State made 1 free throw out of two . . Florida has at least 10 made free throws. Those two categories have resulted in the 11 point lead.

I should probably concede now . . . but stranger things have happened then an 11 point come-back. Ohio State was down by 20 points to University of Tennessee and came back to win. Ohio State was down by 9 points with 3 minutes left in the game (!), and they hit a three point shot with 2 seconds left to send it into overtime, and they won convincingly in overtime. These were both tournament games, so it CAN happen. Its just a lot tougher against a really good team like Florida. But, you can bet I will watch . . and hope . . and pray for a turn-around.

Ohio State needs to: Improve their scoring. Reduce turnovers. Cause turnovers. Get fouls on Florida and get more free throws.

Nat

April 3rd, 2007, 3:46 am #10

I thought for a while you guys might pull it out but the Gators are just too tough.

But you know what I kept thinking about while I watched the game was why do basketball players wearing such long floppy shorts now? I remember when BB players' shorts were snug and short as gym trucks and I can’t believe that all that fabric hanging down flopping around the knees is a good thing for comfort and mobility.