North Dakota

North Dakota

Anudist
Anudist

February 23rd, 2006, 4:16 pm #1

I have no idea what is going on in North Dakota!

First, why anyone would choose to live in a cold desolate place is beyond me.

and

now the Governor is about to sign the strongest ANTI abortion law.

Get out now, come to AZ where its warm and pleasant.

Then again, AZ is fairly religious and is NOT always open to Women's Rights either.

michaela
michaela

February 23rd, 2006, 5:58 pm #2

Some of us here are FOR unborn babies rights.

TCII
TCII

February 23rd, 2006, 7:58 pm #3

and

Then again, AZ is fairly religious and is NOT always open to Women's Rights either.
I can say that I have been there, and it is a wide open state. Much like my own South Dakota. They are rather ultra conservative in their politics, mostly republican (I'll never be one. Richard Nixon saw to that!), cold in the winter and hot and humid in the summer.

Bob
Bob

February 23rd, 2006, 11:17 pm #4

I've never visited North Dakota . . not exactly on my line from here to wherever I might really be going. I've driven across South Dakota, and I can image that North Dakota would be similar: mostly barren prairie. After leaving Souix Falls, SD in the east, there isn't much to see for the next 250-300 miles, until you reach the Black Hills area (The "Badlands" was cool). My impression was that this is just the sort of land that people in the Middle East kill each other over.

John Bayko
John Bayko

February 24th, 2006, 2:01 am #5

and

The legislation you're talking about is in South Dakota.

Some of us live where it's even colder and Northier.

John Bayko
John Bayko

February 24th, 2006, 2:13 am #6

I've never visited North Dakota . . not exactly on my line from here to wherever I might really be going. I've driven across South Dakota, and I can image that North Dakota would be similar: mostly barren prairie. After leaving Souix Falls, SD in the east, there isn't much to see for the next 250-300 miles, until you reach the Black Hills area (The "Badlands" was cool). My impression was that this is just the sort of land that people in the Middle East kill each other over.
"I've driven across South Dakota, and I can image that North Dakota would be similar: mostly barren prairie."

It's much like you said, only somewhat more prairie and less hills than South Dakota. No cell phone reception through the vast majority of either state.

The closest I've been to the Middle East is Istambul and Ankara, Turkey. Very hot, rather polluted and undeveloped at the time. However someone I know from Dubai says that Turkey is the number one vacation destination for people in the Middle East area. If that's the case, the Dakotas are much nicer. Probably less religious, too (though Turkey itself isn't very religious, but many people are - the Prime Minister's wife doesn't attend official functions because women aren't allowed to wear religious symbols when representing the state, and she's fairly religious and prefers wearing a head scarf).

But there's mobile phone reception almost everywhere.

TCII
TCII

February 24th, 2006, 2:55 am #7

I've never heard the "Rushmore State" (South Dakota) or North Dakota for that matter compared with the Middle East before. Yes John, I do know there are more northern places; and there are colder places, but right now it certainly does not "feel" like it. I can't wait for Spring!

Boreas
Boreas

February 24th, 2006, 5:53 am #8

The legislation you're talking about is in South Dakota.

Some of us live where it's even colder and Northier.
"Some of us live where it's even colder and Northier."

Yep, I would be one of those! I wouldn't trade it for warmer and southier!

I would take some small vacations in southier climes at times though!

TCII
TCII

February 24th, 2006, 4:11 pm #9

I understand completely Boreas. Notice, I have not left South Dakota yet. I grew up on a farm, and have lived in what is the biggest city in S.D. for many years.

It is rather strange to me that as you travel from east to west here, things take on a whole different mood and tone. The time zone changes from Central to Mountain as you cross the Missouri River mid-State, and things take on a more "western" feel to them (not 1880). It is in part due to tourism I know, but it is also genuine in the people you meet, and the things they will or will not discuss with you. I suppose it is that way everywhere one travels, but it is noticed here.

Boreas
Boreas

February 24th, 2006, 8:03 pm #10

I live east of the mountains in BC. We are in Mountain time zone, while most of the rest of BC is Pacific. This part of the province is far more like Alberta (Texas north) than the rest of the province (alledgedly hippies and granola). I think it has more to do with the mountains than the time zone here though.

Apparently BC wanted this part of the province due to the possible gold claims that might be here. There is gold here....."Black gold, Texas tea...." This is oil and gas country and is making big bucks for the rest of the province!