My Life

My Life

Bob
Bob

July 20th, 2008, 11:29 pm #1

A couple of weeks ago, my elder son was lamenting how "screwed up" his computer was, as he could no longer load music onto his PSP Nintendo device from his computer. He said that ANY computer should be able to do this (thus, his was obviously "screwed"). I offered (mistake!) my computer to load his music. He said, "Dad, you complain about how small your hard drive is (yes, true, just 40 GB . . functionally only about 37 GC, due to operationg system files), so I didn't want to take another 4 GB for my music" (good point!) When it comes to children (see: Joseph), you depart from sense, so I said "Go ahead"

Somehow, after that I lost internet connectivity. No matter what I tried I could not access the internet on my computer (Damn Rob!) I tried multiple times to delete and reinstall my wireless card . . to no evail. Nothing worked. Now, not just Rob was "screwed", I had joined Rob in "screwedom".

I'm a realist (sometimes). After cursing Rob's name a few times, I decided: I must reformat my hard drive. To this end, I viewed an e-mail sales flyer from Tiger Direct: 500 GB hard drive . . $74.99. A week later, I bit and ordered. I would save all my files to the new hard drive and reformat my 40 Gig.

Next drama. Unbeknownst to me, this was a SATA hard drive. My existing hard drive was IDE . . who knew? I needed a special cable to transfer data with an SATA drive (from Best Bey, $29.99 . . from a local computer geek store, $3.00). Better yet, my power supply needed a special connection to an SATA drive (neither my nor Rob's power supplies had such special connectors (YAH!) I could spend at least $100+ (with both IDE and SATA connectors) on a new power supply from Best Buy . . the local computer geek store had a suggestion: For $45 I could buy a power supply with needed connections AND a case that has front panel USB and audio connections that my current computer does not have. I bit.

Today, I spent several hours transferring everything from my current computer over to the new case. Wow, that was fun! At times, I was unsure of connections and keept re-reading and going on the internet in a fruitless search for helpful information. My suggestion: don't do this. Instead, buy an IDE hard drive that is compatible with what you now have. Screw SATA, unless you know what you are doing.

But, as I did not do this, and stubbornly persisted: A friend suggested I try System Restore to get my internet connection back. God is merciful, and beyond all reasonab;e expectations, that worked. As evidenced now, I can get back on the internet again. YAH!

But, at present my computer has no audio. Also, it does not recognize the new SATA hard drive (even though I went to BIOS config and activated SATA. But, at least I have internet again. yah!

Nat

July 21st, 2008, 12:14 am #2

Well glad you can get back on Bob. I've been thinking you haven't been around as much as usual lately. Nobody has. Potpourri has really been in the summer doldrums lately. I'm even trying to talk my cousin in Pittsburgh into getting on. Nobody can find this forum if they aren't told about it.

But you needed an ext HD anyway for back-up- haven't you been doing that? The most important rule in computering- backup backup backup. I have a program that does this automatically every Sunday night. As for SATA- it is better and is replacing IDE so you will be more up to date. Did the new HD come with a driver?- did you install it? Since it's new your computer probably doesn't have the right driver for it.

As for your audio- check the device display and see if there is a error indication on the audio driver. In fact it's a good idea to just to delete it and then reboot- your computer will reload it and correct any corruptions.

Marseil
Marseil

July 21st, 2008, 6:54 am #3

A couple of weeks ago, my elder son was lamenting how "screwed up" his computer was, as he could no longer load music onto his PSP Nintendo device from his computer. He said that ANY computer should be able to do this (thus, his was obviously "screwed"). I offered (mistake!) my computer to load his music. He said, "Dad, you complain about how small your hard drive is (yes, true, just 40 GB . . functionally only about 37 GC, due to operationg system files), so I didn't want to take another 4 GB for my music" (good point!) When it comes to children (see: Joseph), you depart from sense, so I said "Go ahead"

Somehow, after that I lost internet connectivity. No matter what I tried I could not access the internet on my computer (Damn Rob!) I tried multiple times to delete and reinstall my wireless card . . to no evail. Nothing worked. Now, not just Rob was "screwed", I had joined Rob in "screwedom".

I'm a realist (sometimes). After cursing Rob's name a few times, I decided: I must reformat my hard drive. To this end, I viewed an e-mail sales flyer from Tiger Direct: 500 GB hard drive . . $74.99. A week later, I bit and ordered. I would save all my files to the new hard drive and reformat my 40 Gig.

Next drama. Unbeknownst to me, this was a SATA hard drive. My existing hard drive was IDE . . who knew? I needed a special cable to transfer data with an SATA drive (from Best Bey, $29.99 . . from a local computer geek store, $3.00). Better yet, my power supply needed a special connection to an SATA drive (neither my nor Rob's power supplies had such special connectors (YAH!) I could spend at least $100+ (with both IDE and SATA connectors) on a new power supply from Best Buy . . the local computer geek store had a suggestion: For $45 I could buy a power supply with needed connections AND a case that has front panel USB and audio connections that my current computer does not have. I bit.

Today, I spent several hours transferring everything from my current computer over to the new case. Wow, that was fun! At times, I was unsure of connections and keept re-reading and going on the internet in a fruitless search for helpful information. My suggestion: don't do this. Instead, buy an IDE hard drive that is compatible with what you now have. Screw SATA, unless you know what you are doing.

But, as I did not do this, and stubbornly persisted: A friend suggested I try System Restore to get my internet connection back. God is merciful, and beyond all reasonab;e expectations, that worked. As evidenced now, I can get back on the internet again. YAH!

But, at present my computer has no audio. Also, it does not recognize the new SATA hard drive (even though I went to BIOS config and activated SATA. But, at least I have internet again. yah!
Glad you're back, Bob.

I've been using Apple and Mac computers since the beginning of the 1980's. Never had such problems.

Marseil.

Bob
Bob

July 24th, 2008, 12:07 am #4

True, my son who has a Mac laptop has never had problems. I guess on that count it is true: better to spend twice the price for an Apple laptop as a PC-based laptop ($1500 for the Apple vs. $700 or so for the PC laptop).

Since my last post, I enlisted the help of a friend who manages the local computer systems for the Social Security Administration. My friend tried to lead me over the phone in retrieving my audio and activating my hard drive. No luck on either count, during a 90 minute conversation. My friend believes my motherboard (3 years old) is set to read a SATA I hard drive and that my new hard drive is SATA II. A quick fix he suggested did not work. So, I guess I will try buying a PCI card for SATA II and hope for the best.

My audio has returned, tenuously, via a suggestion by a less computer-savvy friend: System restore. I selected a date to restore to that preceeded these problems, and it worked . . sort of. Sometimes when I reboot the computer, it goes back to no audio. Have you EVER dreamed of having a Microsoft engineer tied in front of your computer and you say, "Make the sh!t work, or there will be a quarter-sized hole where your brain used to be!"? No? OK, maybe its just me (but, in my dream, Bill Gates is sitting there).