Anudist

April 11th, 2005, 9:43 pm #1

the URL: http://goeurope.about.com/od/nudebeache ... eaches.htm

Best Nude Beaches of Europe - Topless Hot Spots of the Mediterranean
From James Martin,
Your Guide to Europe for Visitors.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

Information for when you want your Europe Vacation to be clothing optional
Forbes has just released their Top Topless Beaches 2005, and not surprisingly, 3 of ten are found in Europe.

The naked body confounds and amazes most of us. Seen as a source of visual evil by puritans, the human form has inspired artists, writers, and ne'er-do-wells everywhere. Europeans are less likely than Americans to view the human body as evil--at least if the ire of the Super Bowl halftime viewers close to a phone line is any indication.

You'll see nudity at most any beach along the Mediterranean--or at least toplessness. But Christina Valhouli of Forbes pointed you toward the best beaches--and now we'll show you how to get there and get around.

Sponsored Links
See Hot Women Get Nude
See Photos of Hot Local Women Who Want to Find Sex Partners
www.makememydatematch.com

St Tropez
Plan a Trip with TripAdvisor. Find Hotel Deals, User Reviews & More.
www.TripAdvisor.com

French & Italian Villas
Magnificent collection Over 300 properties
www.villaholidays.com
Plage de Tahiti - Tahiti Beach in Saint Tropez, France
Gawk at topless Jet Setters on this French Riviera beach

Saint Tropez is known for its beaches, and there are plenty of options for folks with families who wish to keep their modesty intact. The Côte d'Azur town is packed in summer. Avoid arriving on weekends, especially if you don't have hotel reservations.

Brigitte Bardot and Ursula Andress started the craze in itty bitty bikinis that shocked even the Europeans in the 50s. By the 60s, the trend toward toplessness became a steamroller, and now just about any beach along the Riviera is topless tolerant.

Plage de Tahiti is noted for its clothing-optional policy and risqué atmosphere, its name a tip of the hat to laid back (French) Polynesian culture. Go in Summer to see celebrity tanners.

For more on Saint Tropez travel, see our Saint Tropez Travel Directory.

Want to bank in the nude? Eat naked? Well, according to Kelby Carr, Cap d'Adge is the French naked city for you.

Paradise Beach - Mykonos Greece
Party Hardy in Paradise

Mykonos is the most popular island destination in Greece. In the summer it's crowded and a bit expensive. You reach it by plane or ferry from Athens (Pireaus). Mykonos is also the name of the port city, where you'll want to stay if you're a partying beach-goer.

Paradise Beach can be reached from Mykonos town by bus, taxi, water taxi, or rented car or moto. Buses run every half hour until 4:30 in the morning, water taxis every hour.

Tripadvisor readers rate Paradise Beach a solid 5 out of 5, one observant and math-savvy reader pointing out that it's "50% topless and 30% nude. All ages...teen to 70." This isn't your star gazing, relaxing bit of sandy shore, especially after 4pm when the beer and music turn Paradise Beach into the ultimate party beach. There are two bars at the beach, the Sunrise Bar and the Tropicana.Once a month in the summer they hold a full moon party at Paradise beach, so check your moon calendar if you like to party.

For more on Mykonos Tourism, see our Mykonos Travel Directory.

Playa d’en Bossa - Ibiza, Spain
Where beautiful people go to watch or be watched

Nudism is part of your rights in Spain, according to this document (PDF) put out by the Spanish Naturist Federation.

Ibiza is the third largest of the Balearic Islands. Spanish company Trasmediterranea has a regular ferry service between Ibiza and the ports of Barcelona, Palma de Majorca and Valencia. Ibiza has a long history -it was founded by the Carthaginians in 654 bce. Its walls were built in the 16th century.

Playa d'en Bossa (Platja d’en Bossa) is the longest beach on Ibiza, a place know for hedonism and beaches, 3 km outside of the capital. Its popularity has caused it growing pains recently, but that means there's plenty of bars and cafes on the beach, which is very popular with partygoers heading over to the Bora Bora beach bar as well as families.

For more travel information on Ibiza, see our Ibiza Travel Directory.

More Reading on Nude Beaches, Naturalism, and Sexuality in Europe
For more on these subjects see our European Sexuality Resources, which includes a guide to Nude Beaches in Europe.

More of "The Best of Europe"
The Best European Cities

My Favorite Off The Beaten Track Destinations in Europe

The Best Walled Cities of Europe

Great Walks of Europe

European Travel Planning
Europe Travel Planning Map

Travel Planning Directory

European Sexuality

Nat

April 12th, 2005, 3:41 am #2

I wonder if its counterproductive for us to mingle topfreedom and nude beaches? Does this re-enforce the notion that breasts are a form of "nudity"? Would it be better to draw a clear distinction between breasts and genitals? What do others think?

Melissa
Melissa

April 12th, 2005, 6:10 am #3

On one hand I don't think that breasts should be considered nudity because they are not genitallia. On the other hand as a nudist I don't think that genitallia should have to be covered either. If someone were to make the argument that accepting topfreedom could eventualy lead to total nudity I wouldn't nessessaraly disagree with them. I mean, yes it is a slippery slope argument. But I'm sure 100+ years ago people argued that letting women show our ankles would lead to showing the whole leg (which it did) than when swim suites got shorter and bellies started appearing someone said that would lead to women walking around almost naked (which we do in bikinis.) Now I'm sure many will say if women go topfree it will eventually lead to some women wanting to go nude (like they do in Europe and in a VERY few places here in the US) and I say "if it does lead to that, good.

Nat

April 12th, 2005, 6:22 am #4

I'm sure die-hard conservatives would certainly use the argument that topfreedom is a step towards totally nudity.
But I think there is a fair percentage of people who would accept topfreedom if they didn't think it would lead further.
That's why it may not be wise to associate the terms breasts and nude together.

April 12th, 2005, 1:58 pm #5

I wonder if its counterproductive for us to mingle topfreedom and nude beaches? Does this re-enforce the notion that breasts are a form of "nudity"? Would it be better to draw a clear distinction between breasts and genitals? What do others think?
I think I've said that before (or at least thought about writing it). Personally I think topfreedom and nudism are two totally different issues, even though the second contains the first.
Topfreedom is about sex equality, while nudism is about all of the people changing their mindsets. Not sure if I worded it well, but I think you understand what I mean.

Nat

April 12th, 2005, 2:47 pm #6

Yes, I think I understand what you mean- and I agree.

I don't think we will ever see an acceptance of public nudity in this country, but an acceptance of topfreedom is a reasonable goal, although still a long way off at this point.

Anudist
Anudist

April 12th, 2005, 3:30 pm #7

If we separate nude from topfree there would be little to find in the media.

Some members of the media (4th Estate) equate Topfree and Nude. In other words, if the beach is a Topfree Beach, it must be a nude beach. (Actually, I think its their editors that sensationalize a Topfree Beach into a Nude Beach to have more "impact".)

Regardless, of that part of it, I as is obvious, have been to many nude beaches. I have seen many women on these nude beaches who are not totally nude. In fact, I once interviewed a young woman about her trip to the beach as a single woman (this was for a research project). We discussed that she didn't feel comfortable being nude on the beach (especially by herself [UNDERSTANDABLE]) but she did comment that it was the only beach in the area where she could sunbathe topfree.

Therefore, based upon these thoughts (and others) I would have to basically state that I don't feel it would be right to separate topfree from nude beach discussions.

Just my $.02

Anudist
Anudist

April 12th, 2005, 3:35 pm #8

I think I've said that before (or at least thought about writing it). Personally I think topfreedom and nudism are two totally different issues, even though the second contains the first.
Topfreedom is about sex equality, while nudism is about all of the people changing their mindsets. Not sure if I worded it well, but I think you understand what I mean.
Why do you state that "one contains the other".

That is the issue!

Should topfree be considered nude?

I think not. If you saw a man without his shirt would you call him nude? However, from your comment, you seem to think that a woman is "nude" if she is topfree.

I respectively disagree.

EuropeMan
EuropeMan

April 12th, 2005, 4:07 pm #9

Markos said: the second contains the first. Indeed, full nudity includes top freedom.

EuropeMan
EuropeMan

April 12th, 2005, 4:18 pm #10

Marcos wrote:

<Topfreedom is about sex equality, while nudism is about all of the people changing their mindsets>

Indeed many articles, starting from the one that originates this thread, are mixing up when talking about Europe.

I think that nowadays on all Western European beaches topfreedom is "legally" accepted - at least when lying - though sometimes there could be disapproving glances. But full nudity is generally reserved to so-called nudist beaches - there are quite many of them but still a little minority.

But... when widely accepting topfreedom, Europeans are not seeing this as gender equality.